Is Killing Off Mouth Bacteria Beneficial For Long Term Dental Health?

BearWithMe

According to this study, mouthwash users seems to have worse dental health than non-users, but obviously correlation does not imply causation.

Do you think that killing off mouth bacteria is beneficial for long term dental health?

Last edited:

Peater Piper

I've been using listerine daily for over 15 years and my oral health is pretty good. I did struggle with canker sores (even before the listerine), but swishing with a little bit of baking soda after the listerine seemed to fix that. On rare occasions I may have a sensitive tooth, though I find this is often due to overaggressive brushing and flossing. No cavities during this time.

I do think for someone with good mouth flora, it's probably better not to nuke everything on a daily basis. Xylitol can be used to push the flora in a positive direction, and I had good results with it for a time but seemed to develop a sensitivity to it, so I went back to listerine.

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

Peater Piper: Wow, 15 years without cavity, that's quite a achievement! What do you think is the most important factor in your impressive oral health?

I''m very happy you have such a great results. Great oral care pays off it seems :):

Peater Piper

For me, the most important factor seemed to be good oral hygiene. During my childhood I failed to take care of my teeth and had many cavities. Once I started brushing, flossing, and using Listerine every day, the cavities stopped. Fortunately I figured this out before my adult teeth were a mess. My regimen isn't extreme either, I rarely do anything in the morning because I never noticed morning breath (plus as I mentioned, sometimes excessive cleaning seemed to make my teeth and gums a bit sensitive), so all of my oral care takes place before bed. Flossing, brushing, and using mouth wash (followed by swishing with baking soda) once a day is no problem at all. I use whatever toothpaste is cheap and available. I know some people have concerns over fluoride and other ingredients in toothpaste, and they may have a point, but I've been worried about fixing something that hasn't been broken for me.

Some other habits that may play a role. I stopped drinking soda, mainly because I completely lost my taste for it. I drank a lot of soda as a child. As an adult it's been almost entirely water along with some milk. I eat 3 or 4 meals a day and rinse my mouth with water after each meal to remove any food particles. I also rarely snack. I do get dental cleanings every 6 months. Something interesting of note, my dentist told me I had what looked like the start of a cavity that would need to be filled at the following visit. This was about 5-years ago, and no mention of it since. Perhaps it was shallow enough that it was able to heal, or it simply hasn't progressed, or maybe my dentist was simply wrong. I don't remember which tooth it was supposedly was, but I never had any pain.

There seems to be some luck involved with oral health. One would think good overall health is important, but I've had numerous health problems throughout my life and my teeth haven't been affected, at least not yet. Meanwhile, I've known people that seemed to be in great overall health but struggled with their teeth despite taking good care of them.

I don't know.

I floss after every meal and brush 1 - 2 times a day with baking soda. I never get cavities. I have had some in the distant past.

What is striking is that I had deep perio pockets and I got them cleaned out with deep cleaning, and then used Peat diet and the pockets are gone and the bone rebuilt itself.

I tend to think lots of calcium, adequate D3, and K2 is really helpful.

I'm not sure about mouth bacteria. I would like to know more. Has Dr. Peat ever written about this?

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

For me, the most important factor seemed to be good oral hygiene. During my childhood I failed to take care of my teeth and had many cavities. Once I started brushing, flossing, and using Listerine every day, the cavities stopped. Fortunately I figured this out before my adult teeth were a mess. My regimen isn't extreme either, I rarely do anything in the morning because I never noticed morning breath (plus as I mentioned, sometimes excessive cleaning seemed to make my teeth and gums a bit sensitive), so all of my oral care takes place before bed. Flossing, brushing, and using mouth wash (followed by swishing with baking soda) once a day is no problem at all. I use whatever toothpaste is cheap and available. I know some people have concerns over fluoride and other ingredients in toothpaste, and they may have a point, but I've been worried about fixing something that hasn't been broken for me.

Some other habits that may play a role. I stopped drinking soda, mainly because I completely lost my taste for it. I drank a lot of soda as a child. As an adult it's been almost entirely water along with some milk. I eat 3 or 4 meals a day and rinse my mouth with water after each meal to remove any food particles. I also rarely snack. I do get dental cleanings every 6 months. Something interesting of note, my dentist told me I had what looked like the start of a cavity that would need to be filled at the following visit. This was about 5-years ago, and no mention of it since. Perhaps it was shallow enough that it was able to heal, or it simply hasn't progressed, or maybe my dentist was simply wrong. I don't remember which tooth it was supposedly was, but I never had any pain.

There seems to be some luck involved with oral health. One would think good overall health is important, but I've had numerous health problems throughout my life and my teeth haven't been affected, at least not yet. Meanwhile, I've known people that seemed to be in great overall health but struggled with their teeth despite taking good care of them.

This is incredible post and the best dental care 101 I have ever readed. Thank you very much for all the informations and tips, already included a lot of them in my daily routine!

lvysaur

I take horrible care of my teeth, yet no cavities. I think a lot of it is genetic--I know that men have better teeth due to histamine secretions.

Literally

I think there may be some evidence that alcohol is a low level toxin. Don't drinkers get mouth and throat cancers at very high rates? I think I even heard about a law suit against mouthwash companies at some point.

There are non alcoholic products on the market that might be worth looking at. I personally think alcohol is a low enough risk (if any) to be "worth it" for applications of needed products, occasional hand sanitizer, occasional drink for pleasure etc. But I would be wary of daily use of any alcohol product if the cancer thing hold up. Sorry I am not providing any sources here, but it's something I researched in the past. I would encourage you to come to your own conclusion if using an alcohol based product daily.

I hope I have the link right, but there is this woman who advocates using a whole bunch of antiseptic solutions to stop the cycle of bacteria in the mouth. I believe it is her -- I would think doing something like this would be worth considering for those who have perpetual problems, as a periodic intervention. Myself, I am one of those who never has cavities.

alywest

I don't know.

I floss after every meal and brush 1 - 2 times a day with baking soda. I never get cavities. I have had some in the distant past.

What is striking is that I had deep perio pockets and I got them cleaned out with deep cleaning, and then used Peat diet and the pockets are gone and the bone rebuilt itself.

I tend to think lots of calcium, adequate D3, and K2 is really helpful.

I'm not sure about mouth bacteria. I would like to know more. Has Dr. Peat ever written about this?
Didn't your dentist think it was absolutely astounding that your bone rebuilt itself? According to prevailing dental "theology", bone structure "cannot" grow back.

Nokoni

I keep my mouth sterile by rinsing, flossing, and brushing with chlorine dioxide. After using for several months it straightened my teeth. One of my lower incisors was tilted back, leaning to the side, and rotated, and had been for decades. Now it's standing up straight and is nearly back in line with his mates. I certainly never expected that and actually only noticed after it was all better. I'd also read that it'll regrow bone but that struck me as unlikely. As you might imagine, I'm a bit less skeptical now. It also makes the teeth nice and white, significantly better than charcoal does.

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

I keep my mouth sterile by rinsing, flossing, and brushing with chlorine dioxide. After using for several months it straightened my teeth. One of my lower incisors was tilted back, leaning to the side, and rotated, and had been for decades. Now it's standing up straight and is nearly back in line with his mates. I certainly never expected that and actually only noticed after it was all better. I'd also read that it'll regrow bone but that struck me as unlikely. As you might imagine, I'm a bit less skeptical now. It also makes the teeth nice and white, significantly better than charcoal does.
Wow, rinsing, flossing, and brushing with chlorine dioxide seems like quite radical solution to the dental health. What concentration are you using?

Nokoni

Wow, rinsing, flossing, and brushing with chlorine dioxide seems like quite radical solution to the dental health. What concentration are you using?
Doesn't strike me as radical at all. Killing oral bacteria seems pretty sensible and the results are awesome. ClO2 gotta be mixed daily. I use 5 drops of 28% sodium chlorite and 5 drops of 4% HCl in a half ounce of water.

That’s amazing.

Nokoni

That’s amazing.
Truly. I was shocked. The first thing I noticed was that there was no longer any soreness in my gums with vigorous brushing of my front lower teeth. I get after it a bit extra there because the crooked tooth was a little harder to clean, and so an occasional bit of soreness in the gums below was fully expected. I thought it was just from the abrasion. Then the soreness stopped and I figured, well, it must actually have been from bacteria that was no longer there. Months later then I noticed the tooth was straight.

One possibility is that teeth are kept straight by some pulling force below that keeps them straight, and when the tissues underneath the teeth get infected the system begins to fail. The errant tooth never got worse. It was straight (orthodontics as a teen), then it wasn't any more for decades, now it's straight again. Pretty cool.

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

I just have realized that sodium chlorite is used in some commercial mouthwashes, toothpastes, tooth gels and whitening bubble gums. So it is probably very safe to use on your teeth. I will order pharma grade NaClO2 tommorow and try this :):

Nokoni

What do you use and where do you get it @Nokoni
Kvlab.com. I think I got the kit in the top left corner of this page: Glass Bottles

Bought it cuz @burtlancast said it was great for flu and such. But taking internally you've got to build up slowly day by day for like a month, or else you get nausea and diarrhea. Dosing is 8 times per day. But I dropped out after a week or so because 8 times per day is really a hassle and the stuff is pretty vile. But I'd read it's good as a mouth rinse too so I started using it for oral care.

burtlancast

Bought it cuz @burtlancast said it was great for flu and such. But taking internally you've got to build up slowly day by day for like a month, or else you get nausea and diarrhea. Dosing is 8 times per day. But I dropped out after a week or so because 8 times per day is really a hassle and the stuff is pretty vile. But I'd read it's good as a mouth rinse too so I started using it for oral care.

Just for the record, i did say it worked for the flu, especially in clearing a stuffed nose, but i never said to take it every day for prevention.

MMS isn't an essential nutrient and should not be taken everyday. The internet rumor stating it detoxifies glyphosate is a scam without any scientific evidence backing it up.

If someone wants to supplement prevently against the flu, there's magnesium chloride, Vit D, iodine, garlic and home made carrot juice for it's many vitamins (Vit A and C especially).

Mouthwashes with hydrogen peroxyde or iodine or magnesium chloride are great.

There are cured Gerson patients who stated to stop catching colds provided they kept drinking their daily carrot juice.

Last edited:

Nokoni

i never said to take it every day for prevention
Just so. You said nothing of the sort. Sorry if I misled anyone. But nor did you say anything about how to use it to treat flu, at least not that I found. What's your protocol with ClO2 for flu?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals