Is Keurig Coffee Safe To Have?

raypeatclips

I am not sure how the Keurig works but if the hot water runs though the little plastic cup at all I bet some nasty chemicals are brought through with it. Just get some instant if nothing else.

Lilac

I have always figured Keurig was a bad idea. Boiling water + (cheap) plastic.

I just googled what type of plastic is used in Keurig. The linked web page here says No. 7.

Is the plastic used in Keurig K-Cups safe?

I always remember the forum thread below about plastics. Haidut said: "BPA is pretty much everywhere - soda cans, plastic containers of any sort, soup cans, bottle caps, tap water, any kind of commercially bought prepared food, etc. Plastics with codes 3, 6, and 7 should be avoided at all cost."

Plasticisers (bpa, Dehp) Boost Pufa, Estrogen, Cortisol & Block Glucose Oxidation

cyclops

What about a regular drip coffee machine? Probably not great right because of plastic parts? But what if you have been using it a long time? Do you think you get all the harmful chemicals from the plastic during the first times you use it when its new. Maybe after a couple years, its not giving off anything harmful?

Lilac

A few weeks back, I had a cup of coffee in the morning made with a ceramic Melita and a paper filter. In the afternoon, I had a cup from a Cuisinart machine with plastic parts. The difference in taste popped for me that day as it never had before. (Maybe because of dentist Dr. Ellie's oral-biome program that I have been following? But I digress.) That convinced me to finally shell out for a Chemex carafe and filters. (Highly rated on Amazon and elsewhere.) The Chemex coffee was a distinct, small step up from the ceramic cone and Melita filter. The key is the Chemex filter, which is thicker--and also patented, I think. The expensive carafe is non-essential.

InChristAlone

Keurig is a bad idea if you can't use your own filter, not to mention the waste from those things if you are using the cups.

OP
D

dq139

The k cups for the keurig I get are bpa free...does that matter?

InChristAlone

BPA isn't the only plasticizer. The lie from plastic manufacturing. BPS is just as bad. If it is number 7 that is full of different plastics.

raypeatclips

The k cups for the keurig I get are bpa free...does that matter?

As Janelle says there are plastics other than BPA. All it means is they have chosen a BPA free plastic because BPA is now synonymous with "dangerous." All "BPA free" means is that the company has a sensible marketing team, not that it is safe to use.

dbh25

A few weeks back, I had a cup of coffee in the morning made with a ceramic Melita and a paper filter. In the afternoon, I had a cup from a Cuisinart machine with plastic parts. The difference in taste popped for me that day as it never had before. (Maybe because of dentist Dr. Ellie's oral-biome program that I have been following? But I digress.) That convinced me to finally shell out for a Chemex carafe and filters. (Highly rated on Amazon and elsewhere.) The Chemex coffee was a distinct, small step up from the ceramic cone and Melita filter. The key is the Chemex filter, which is thicker--and also patented, I think. The expensive carafe is non-essential.
Chemex, or Bialetti is the way to go

Integra

stokesman

I found a couple studies on this. The first I didn't try getting to the full study, here's the link:
Plasticizer residues by HRGC–MS in espresso coffees from capsules, pods and moka pots - ScienceDirect
In comparison with current values proposed by European agencies for food safety, the daily intake of plasticizers from espresso coffee was very low.

The second is freely available:
Phthalates and heavy metals as endocrine disruptors in food: A study on pre-packed coffee products - ScienceDirect
Four pre-packed coffee types were randomly chosen and purchased in July 2015 at local retail stores. We selected-compared coffee prepared using coffee packaged in a metal (type M), bio-degradable (type BD) and two different types of plastic (type P1 and P2, respectively) capsules.

Italian expresso coffees were prepared in the laboratory with HPLC-grade water using compatible system machines. Three espresso coffee machines were used: the first one was suitable for type M and BD capsules, the remaining two machines were suitable for type P1 and P2 capsule respectively.

Results for plasticizers were like the first study:
All HI values are far less than 1 for all determined plasticizers, suggesting that the exposure to these contaminants is not expected to be harmful.

They also tested for some heavy metals:
The contribution of Cd accounted for 0.2–3.0% of the TDI, with very low risk exposure for this heavy metal. On the other hand, a single cup content of Pb accounted for nearly 42%–79% of the TDI recognized for this metal depending on the type of capsule. Finally, the risk assessment to Ni exposure was the highest among the detected heavy metals, with the content of a single cup able to fulfill the entire TDI for BD, P1 and P2 capsules.

I don't know if those were Keurig compatible capsules or not.

michael94

I found a couple studies on this

Thanks. In a Keurig machine the metal nozzle where the hot water comes out is metal and non-magnetic. So I wonder how much nickel would come from just the hot water with neutral pH. Maybe not a lot. Most k cups we have bought from Sams club/Costco are plastic. But we did get some from Trader Joes that had a metal mesh.

stokesman

So I wonder how much nickel would come from just the hot water with neutral pH.
Probably very little. They did test emptied capsules of each type and still detected lead from two of the four capsule types (M and P1) but no nickel or cadmium. So it seems the coffee itself is the bearer of bad metals. Which is a bit bewildering on how they have such contaminated coffee. Makes me wonder about coffee in general.

From the study discussion:
Whilst we found the presence of Pb both in the coffee surrogate and water infused with the empty capsule, most of the other heavy metals, Ni and Cd, detected were found on in the coffee surrogate, suggesting a major role of coffee powder in retaining heavy metals.

InChristAlone

Probably very little. They did test emptied capsules of each type and still detected lead from two of the four capsule types (M and P1) but no nickel or cadmium. So it seems the coffee itself is the bearer of bad metals. Which is a bit bewildering on how they have such contaminated coffee. Makes me wonder about coffee in general.

From the study discussion:
It's probably similar to cocoa beans. They are grown in countries that are lead contaminated and every step of the production process adds a tiny bit.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals