is K1 necessary?

sprinter

From my research it seems that K1 is only available in abundance in dark leafy greens. It seems generally acceptable to make a kale broth, but is it necessary to do so if following a basic Peat Diet that includes egg yolks, milk, cheese, oyster, liver, oj?

I dont really like making Kale Broth but will if it fills in some missing nutrients. If it is necessary, how often should one be consuming it?

marcar72

sprinter said:
From my research it seems that K1 is only available in abundance in dark leafy greens. It seems generally acceptable to make a kale broth, but is it necessary to do so if following a basic Peat Diet that includes egg yolks, milk, cheese, oyster, liver, oj?

I dont really like making Kale Broth but will if it fills in some missing nutrients. If it is necessary, how often should one be consuming it?

From what I've read K1 isn't as necessary as K2 because K1 gets recycled pretty efficiently in the human body when proper nutrition is maintained. The 2 main K2's are MK4 (animal derived) and MK7 (fermentation derived) of which MK4 seems to be the most beneficial and the one to shoot for. Egg yolks, milk, cheese, and liver (esp liver?) are some of the best natural sources of MK4. Cheese actually might be MK7 for the most part with maybe a little MK4 since it's a fermented food.

For K1 I occasionally eat a couple of kiwis in a setting. I was eating 2 kiwis daily for vitamin K, but then started reading up a bit on K supplementation. Now I supplement with Thorne's MK4 along with weekly liver, milk, and whatever else I eat that has it. I personally feel supplementation for me is a good choice. :2cents

J

j.

Beef tongue is one of the best sources of K2 according to Chris Masterjohn. Maybe tongues from other ruminants as well.

freal

j. said:
Beef tongue is one of the best sources of K2 according to Chris Masterjohn. Maybe tongues from other ruminants as well.

I never saw Chris MAsterjohn say that and cant find anything by google search.

Vitamin K is essential, beside K1 in veggies there is also K2. You can google for the list of foods high in K2. I think vitamin K1 clears really quickly from the body, almost like an water soluble vitamin but I am not sure.

OP
sprinter

sprinter

Ok, so I'm gonna go at this like K1 is not necessary then. I get plenty of K2...someone stop me if I'm destroying my health by not consuming any Kale Broth!

pboy

we actually require very little k2, and almost no k1. Its up in the air about what factors contribute to people converting k1 into k2, and whether or not gut bacteria provide most of the k1 (and possibly some k2) in the first place.
I can say for sure you aren't hurting your health by not consuming kale broth. Youll get some k2 from the dairy and eggs, but perhaps a hint of k1 occasionally might be to your benefit, and assure enough k2 supply. No need to overdo it though, maybe a few times a week. Even some fruits, olive oil, and carrots have a good amount of k1. Too much k1 can be a stressor, so it probably isn't a good idea to consume a huge amount of dark greens

dukez07

I'm using menatetrenone (MK4) but it arrived in powdered capsuals. I did read somewhere that it was essential to buy the vitamin in soft gel format, to allow for proper absorbtion. I also came across a study where the treatement of high dose MK4 was a fairly good treatment for erectile dysfunction.

Another thing I've come across, was that people should always supplement K2 if they are supplementing with vitamin D. I can't remember the reasons why. It was something to do with a reaction from vitamin D in the blood vessels, when supplemented alone (without K2).

OP
sprinter

sprinter

Thanks for the responses. I'll probably make spinach broth once a week for now and eventually try ditching it. Interesting about the Vit K with D. I do take Vitamin D, ad I recently ordered some Thorne K2 because I read you must take K if you take aspirin...which I am.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals