Is It Safe To Treat SIBO/Dysbiosis Without Properly Being Tested For It?

Should i get properly tested for SIBO/Dysbiosis via Breath test/Full stool analysis before starting

• Yes

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters

Josh

Sorry, bit of a repeat of my last post but just some more context to know if its worth paying for the testing.

SYMPTOMS:

I’ve got a host of symptoms that look pretty related to dysbiosis/sibo, experienced the last 3-4 years (probably around the time i got cyclospora food poisoning and started taking lots of pro biotics (I’m 21 now):

Being bloated all the time with belly sticking out, Gut pain when consuming foods, Gut issues when consuming probiotics etc, LOTS of gas only when eating certain foods but definitely not always, Gas i do get is extremely smelly and same with number 2’s, i’ve got extreme fatigue/weakness, eczema/fungal acne/normal acne, Dry skin, Dandruff, Insomnia, Anxiety, Weight loss unless i’m eating LOADS of calories, Joint pains, Sexual function is not tip top for my age, Certain foods make my skin worse and Brain fog.

I’m not constipated (maybe a little strain), no diarrhea, All i know in terms of nutrition is my Iron is high which could show that i’m not having issues with the gut things robbing nutrients? I do have the H63D gene for accumulating iron (hemochromeatosis) but it’s not meant to be a high risk one and i’m only 21 so don’t think it would show this high this young (52% saturation). Not tested other nutrients for deficiencies.

HISTORY:

I’ve been on Anti-biotics like 15 times in my life (flucloxacillin i believe mostly), the last time was last year when i went on clarithromycin in January 2019 for an eczema infection and even though my bowel movements are okay normally, they went amazing during taking the antiB’s, the stools were properly formed as opposed to now when their skinny/small so i don’t know if that indicated anything? Also went on anti biotics mentronidazole for dental infection in april 2019.

I contracted cyclospora back in 2016 august in mexico (found from a stool test) which is a form of food poisoning from water contaminted with human feaces and i had very bad diarrhea for a while, faded away eventually and i started taking pro biotics which made it even better, carried on taking pro biotics for a while after that but gut was probably never the same after getting cyclospora. Doc never gave antiB’s for it.

Over the last 4 years i've completed a bunch of blood tests related to Thyroid/Testoserone/Lipids etc etc basically all the standard tests and they've all come back normal, actually have really high Test..

MY DIET:

Consists of: Beef, Chicken, Cod, Salmon, Liver, Collagen, Potatoes, Sweet potatoes, White rice, Oats, Dates, Grapes, Mango, Melon, Bananas, Apple, Honey, butter, coconut oil, olive oil, Nutritional yeast recently, Peas rarely, Dairy sometimes, and the may treat myself with chocolate etc sometimes.

I use cronometer and make sure i hit the daily RDA for all nutrients. I eat more than enough calories, protein, carbs, fat etc. I've cut out junk from diet for 4 years now.

I've been trying to bulk up the last few months so i may get nearly 4000 cals a day which is a lot (i'm 5ft9 70kg and skinny), This means i eat a lot of the food above.

MAIN QUESTION:

I know i was asking about the stool/breath test the other day but i’ve realised i really can’t afford them at the moment..(Unless you guys think its ABSOLUTELY essential, then i would find a way)..

Based on my history above and current situation i’m wondering if it’s worth going on a gut protocol like the antimicrobials without having any tests? I mean WHAT else could my gut issues possibly be if it’s not dysibosis?? If i was to do one, it would be the stool test as i know it can give a better idea of things than a breath test. But surely it’s just gonna tell me what i already know?

It’s prob pretty obvious i’ve got sibo or whatever, what different info could a stool/breath show me that could change how i approach it with protocols etc?

Has ANYONE attempted extensive protocols on their gut without being tested but having all the symptoms, is it safe to do this?

My thinking has been, isn’t it better to treat by symptoms rather than inaccurate tests? i’m just worried that i’m treating something i haven’t got potentially without having a test to know?????

TESTING:

If i was to do a test it would be this one in the uk: GI EcologiX™ - Invivo Healthcare

Tried relentlessly for tests from NHS but theres absolutely no chance from them, couldn’t even get me referred to Gastroenterology, i really would struggle getting anti biotics from them too. They just say IBS.

POLL:

Answer below if you don't have the time to reply to this thread..

Should i get properly tested for SIBO/Dysbiosis via Breath test/Full stool analysis before starting any anti microbial protocols?

GreekDemiGod

Attachments

• 71zE.gif
    71zE.gif
    898.3 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Absolutely. Proceed only if confirmed by tests. People tend to be convinced in having some conditions by all kind of internet "symptoms cheking".

Lorof

I think I can touch on this because I have some experience on this topic myself and read most of the mainstream SIBO literature.

It would be typical for SIBO to appear after food poisoning. The mechanism was first explained by Dr Mark Pimentel. I suggest reading his book "A new IBS solution" that you can get for about 10$ as an ebook. To sum it up very shortly his thesis is that bacteria that causes food poisoning permanently damages your intestinal nerves and thereby decreases gut motility which leads to persistent SIBO.

There are other pathways that can lead to SIBO of course such as low acid production in the stomache, dysfunction of the ileocecal valve, more generally speaking low thyroid, a diet of hard to digest foods...the list goes on.

These different possible causes make it a somewhat complex topic because the overgroth in the small intestine is just the symptome. It would be more precise to name each individual disease after its specific cause.

The test you linked is inappropriate for diagnosing SIBO because testing stool which has passed through your whole GI tract cannot possibly tell you which part specific bacteria originated from.

I do no want to give concrete advice other than reading the literature and finding your own way. Dr Michael Ruscio wrote a great book on the topic as well that i can recommend.

SuperStressed

I did it and it confirmed I had SIBO but it didn't do anything to help me decide on a treatment. Why not experiment with low dose antibiotics short-term like Peat suggests?

natewill

Sorry, bit of a repeat of my last post but just some more context to know if its worth paying for the testing.

SYMPTOMS:

I’ve got a host of symptoms that look pretty related to dysbiosis/sibo, experienced the last 3-4 years (probably around the time i got cyclospora food poisoning and started taking lots of pro biotics (I’m 21 now):

Being bloated all the time with belly sticking out, Gut pain when consuming foods, Gut issues when consuming probiotics etc, LOTS of gas only when eating certain foods but definitely not always, Gas i do get is extremely smelly and same with number 2’s, i’ve got extreme fatigue/weakness, eczema/fungal acne/normal acne, Dry skin, Dandruff, Insomnia, Anxiety, Weight loss unless i’m eating LOADS of calories, Joint pains, Sexual function is not tip top for my age, Certain foods make my skin worse and Brain fog.

I’m not constipated (maybe a little strain), no diarrhea, All i know in terms of nutrition is my Iron is high which could show that i’m not having issues with the gut things robbing nutrients? I do have the H63D gene for accumulating iron (hemochromeatosis) but it’s not meant to be a high risk one and i’m only 21 so don’t think it would show this high this young (52% saturation). Not tested other nutrients for deficiencies.

HISTORY:

I’ve been on Anti-biotics like 15 times in my life (flucloxacillin i believe mostly), the last time was last year when i went on clarithromycin in January 2019 for an eczema infection and even though my bowel movements are okay normally, they went amazing during taking the antiB’s, the stools were properly formed as opposed to now when their skinny/small so i don’t know if that indicated anything? Also went on anti biotics mentronidazole for dental infection in april 2019.

I contracted cyclospora back in 2016 august in mexico (found from a stool test) which is a form of food poisoning from water contaminted with human feaces and i had very bad diarrhea for a while, faded away eventually and i started taking pro biotics which made it even better, carried on taking pro biotics for a while after that but gut was probably never the same after getting cyclospora. Doc never gave antiB’s for it.

Over the last 4 years i've completed a bunch of blood tests related to Thyroid/Testoserone/Lipids etc etc basically all the standard tests and they've all come back normal, actually have really high Test..

MY DIET:

Consists of: Beef, Chicken, Cod, Salmon, Liver, Collagen, Potatoes, Sweet potatoes, White rice, Oats, Dates, Grapes, Mango, Melon, Bananas, Apple, Honey, butter, coconut oil, olive oil, Nutritional yeast recently, Peas rarely, Dairy sometimes, and the may treat myself with chocolate etc sometimes.

I use cronometer and make sure i hit the daily RDA for all nutrients. I eat more than enough calories, protein, carbs, fat etc. I've cut out junk from diet for 4 years now.

I've been trying to bulk up the last few months so i may get nearly 4000 cals a day which is a lot (i'm 5ft9 70kg and skinny), This means i eat a lot of the food above.

MAIN QUESTION:

I know i was asking about the stool/breath test the other day but i’ve realised i really can’t afford them at the moment..(Unless you guys think its ABSOLUTELY essential, then i would find a way)..

Based on my history above and current situation i’m wondering if it’s worth going on a gut protocol like the antimicrobials without having any tests? I mean WHAT else could my gut issues possibly be if it’s not dysibosis?? If i was to do one, it would be the stool test as i know it can give a better idea of things than a breath test. But surely it’s just gonna tell me what i already know?

It’s prob pretty obvious i’ve got sibo or whatever, what different info could a stool/breath show me that could change how i approach it with protocols etc?

Has ANYONE attempted extensive protocols on their gut without being tested but having all the symptoms, is it safe to do this?

My thinking has been, isn’t it better to treat by symptoms rather than inaccurate tests? i’m just worried that i’m treating something i haven’t got potentially without having a test to know?????

TESTING:

If i was to do a test it would be this one in the uk: GI EcologiX™ - Invivo Healthcare

Tried relentlessly for tests from NHS but theres absolutely no chance from them, couldn’t even get me referred to Gastroenterology, i really would struggle getting anti biotics from them too. They just say IBS.

POLL:

Answer below if you don't have the time to reply to this thread..

Should i get properly tested for SIBO/Dysbiosis via Breath test/Full stool analysis before starting any anti microbial protocols?
any luck on your symptoms? I'm 24 years old and I have very similar symptoms that you mentioned: bloating, gas, eczema. All tests come back pretty normal but I'd say my Testosterone is a bit on the low side at 477ng/dl

T

TheBeard

Testing will be marginally indicative, the risks of false negative are extremely high.

You most likely have SIBO, you tick all the boxes.

What helps me a lot with my SIBO is regularly flushing my gut with castor oil + turpentine, like every fortnight.

My mind becomes clearer within a few days, my nausea subsides, and my gut deflates.

But to get a real improvement we would have to quit fiber and starch altogether.

Meat + fruit juice would be the ultimate SIBO diet