Is It Safe To Give A 4 Year Old Girl Progesterone?

Heather Calkins

Hello everyone!
My daughter (who is 4) was born with high estrogen levels, the doctor knew because she had swollen nipples. Her doctor at the time said that we would wait it out and around 6 months the swelling disappeared so I thought nothing of it. I have successfully used progesterone for endometriosis and PMS and am wondering if it’s safe to use it for her also. She is very moody and unreasonably angry at times (almost as if she’s going through puberty). The more concerning issue is it seems she has a libido. At 4 years old! I catch her often humping her blanket or stuffed animals and when I ask her if she is itchy she just says that it tickles her private parts. I am very worried and am ready to try progesterone immediately however I am unsure if it’s safe at that age and since she doesn’t have a cycle yet when or how often would I give it to her??
Please advise!

Peatful

Hi and welcome-

This is a very serious consideration- as you are aware with your question/concerns.

I would highly recommend reaching out to Dr. Peat with this question- and not following any advice here with the exception of Haidut’s.

In the meantime- I would strongly advise against it- my limited opinion only.
As a mom of young girls- I would personally concentrate on diet and environment.

shine

A few years ago I heard Jordan Peterson say that babies/toddlers like to play with their genitals because it relaxes them. Adults do it too, or so I've heard. I don't think it is something to be too concerned about.

You could try chamomille tea for her moodiness/anger.
I personally wouldn't use progesterone on a 4 year old.

mrchibbs

Topically? Why not?

I for one think it is 300% safe (maybe 500 and possibly exactly what she needs and might actually be a panacea in this case.

Young kids have lots of it normally, progesterone is not at all strictly relevant to the context menstrual cycle, it has countless other, fundamental benefits and has been helpful in people of all ages.

Based on her symptoms, it seems to me she has a deficiency of something. For what it’s worth, If she was my daughter Id definitely rub some progesterone on her back (using some coconut oil to spread it) and watch for her reaction.

Having her eat oysters could be therapeutic as well. I remember reading a story of a young girl with similar behavioural symptoms and more, who became well and calm when her parents started making meals of fried oysters, so they had fried oysters every week or more and she got and stayed well. I suspect she somehow had elevated requirements for zinc, which by the way is needed for progesterone.

Last edited:

thomas00

Topically? Why not?

I for one think it is 300% safe (maybe 500 and possibly exactly what she needs and might actually be a panacea in this case.

x2

Some of those symptoms describe me as a child. A miserable restlessness and agitation. It's really unpleasant for children to go through. I see no reason not to try progesterone. I would have loved the relief it would have bought. Doctors and parents who would tut tut about it are likely OK with giving their kids acetaminophen...

Last edited:

mrchibbs

x2

Some of those symptoms describe me as a child. A miserable restlessness and agitation. It's really unpleasant for children to go through. I see no reason not to try progesterone. I would have loved the relief it would have bought. Doctors and parents who would tut tut about it are likely OK with giving their kids acetaminophen...

acetaminophen, vaccines, formula, antibiotics, lord knows what else but god forbid progesterone hahaha

Progesterone has such a profound calming influence, a quieting effect at the cell level. It would probably completely soothe and make the negative symptoms go away.

No children should have to suffer through such symptoms, you’re totally right. Childhood should be a state of relaxed bliss.

schultz

acetaminophen, vaccines, formula, antibiotics, lord knows what else but god forbid progesterone hahaha

Exactly.

Progesterone is a basic protective hormone. It won't cause a child to go through puberty, or develop sexually, it will prevent that and delay puberty, allowing the child's brain to develop. I would still ask Ray though out of interest.

Quotes from Ray:
"In fact, it is the most protective hormone the body produces..."

"In experiments, progesterone was found to be the basic hormone of adaptation and of resistance to stress."

"... progesterone is of far greater and more basic physiological significance than testosterone."

Blossom

Forum Supporter
The more concerning issue is it seems she has a libido. At 4 years old! I catch her often humping her blanket or stuffed animals and when I ask her if she is itchy she just says that it tickles her private parts.
When I worked at a daycare over 30 years ago I noticed quite a few children would do this at nap time. That doesn’t necessarily mean it’s normal but it was common. I initially found it shocking to be honest but my more experienced coworkers assured me it happened on a regular basis. I just figured I’d let you know. It might be good to research this and find out if it’s something that truly warrants concern. I honestly don’t know. I was told way back then to ignore it as long as the child wasn’t bothering anyone else or doing it at other times of the day.

schultz

When I worked at a daycare over 30 years ago I noticed quite a few children would do this at nap time. That doesn’t necessarily mean it’s normal but it was common. I initially found it shocking to be honest but my more experienced coworkers assured me it happened on a regular basis. I just figured I’d let you know. It might be good to research this and find out if it’s something that truly warrants concern. I honestly don’t know. I was told way back then to ignore it as long as the child wasn’t bothering anyone else or doing it at other times of the day.

I've never noticed that behaviour in any of my children. I didn't realize it was/is as common as your post suggests.

Redshine

Zinc and Vit e, zinc I noticed by accident because he had a little bit redness on his bottom so I had to use cream with zinkoxide. After a few days I couls see he was in a better mood. And vit e because it works for me so I just thought maybe it will work for him also. I dont give or use it every day because Iam not a doctor and dont want to mess up his hormones or make things worse. And because I live in The Netherlands I give vit D, doctors recommend giving vit D supplement because we dont get enough sunshine.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I've never noticed that behaviour in any of my children. I didn't realize it was/is as common as your post suggests.
I’ve never noticed it with my own family or friends children but then again I never had to monitor them for an entire nap like at that job. :)

YamnayaMommy

Hello everyone!
My daughter (who is 4) was born with high estrogen levels, the doctor knew because she had swollen nipples. Her doctor at the time said that we would wait it out and around 6 months the swelling disappeared so I thought nothing of it. I have successfully used progesterone for endometriosis and PMS and am wondering if it’s safe to use it for her also. She is very moody and unreasonably angry at times (almost as if she’s going through puberty). The more concerning issue is it seems she has a libido. At 4 years old! I catch her often humping her blanket or stuffed animals and when I ask her if she is itchy she just says that it tickles her private parts. I am very worried and am ready to try progesterone immediately however I am unsure if it’s safe at that age and since she doesn’t have a cycle yet when or how often would I give it to her??
Please advise!

Can you get her hormone levels checked?

I have a daughter who just turned five. And I know a lot of girls that age. Moodiness and irritability are VERY COMMON. Wouldn’t make too much of it.

my daughter had an itchy vagina when she was 2 ... we were so concerned that we took her into pediatrician to get tested for a suspected UTI. she was find and doctor said it was normal. I have, to be honest, never noticed her doing anything like humping.

have you done baking soda baths for her? I often bath my three children (girl and two younger boys) in water with half a box of baking soda, and it is much less irritating than soap. I also let them play outside naked (we have a private backyard), and the sun all over is very healthful for them, I think. Maybe you could try that for her? The baths and fresh air might her bottom feel better

i agree that food and lifestyle first, before supps, for little kids

Non obvious peat foods my kids like: Liver “steak” (but not pate), and sourdough sandwiches stuffed with tuna and oyster salad. Make mayo with egg yolk and coconut oil, add olives or capers, etc. DM me for recipe details if you want.

MatheusPN

I know a parent who related that, the baby has that kind of behavior.
Everything affects hormones, food have hormones and anti-hormones on them.
If is to be more conservative, I would implement a more Peatian "diet", with sufficient cholesterol which is the precursor for preg and prog, and maybe supplement some anti-estrogenic vitamins, like E, A, D (sun), K2 etc.

+1 to YanNayaMommy point: "Food and lifestyle first, before supps, for little kids". Supps are more reasonable when a quick change is needed or to correct a nutritional deficiency.

This question definitely is more than worth an email to Ray

Last edited:

dreamcatcher

Hello everyone!
Please advise![/QUOTE
Hello everyone!
Please advise!

It's a very dangerous thing to consider giving progesterone to a child. I would strongly recommend a doctor or no one else but Ray Peat.

Last edited:

dreamcatcher

Hello everyone!
Please advise!
Your child's moodiness might be linked to gut/digestion issues. I also have a child and faced with similar moodiness issues.
Raw carrot salad could help.

Cooper

No, please don't give Progesterone to your 4 year old daughter. I don't even understand how you considered this.

No, please don't give Progesterone to your 4 year old daughter. I don't even understand how you considered this.
Hello everyone!
Please advise!
Definetly no! I would be more concerned about the hormones in meat and milk if it isn't grass fed.

retroactive

yes progesterone is very safe. There are other things you may try regarding estrogen. Perhaps eating easily digestible foods and carrot salads. A little course of progesterone won't hurt though

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals