Is It Really All That Worth It to Eat Eggs Raw?

Rasaari

"The true ileal digestibility of cooked and raw egg protein amounted to 90.9 +/- 0.8 and 51.3 +/- 9.8%, respectively. A significant negative correlation"

"Functional avidin is found only in raw egg, as the biotin affinity of the protein is destroyed by cooking."

So, cook the whites.

Gânico

I still consider wild fish to be slightly superior just because of that, by being wild. Even gras-fed ruminant meat is given some medicines-antibiotics and possibly other things we are unaware even if it's bio certified. For fish I try to use steaming which is the less heat invasive cooking.
You´re right, as long the fish isn't loaded with pufas, wild caught from non-polluted rivers or lakes should be very safe . Luckily i live next to the cows i eat and know how they are raised

What about eating only the yolk raw - letting the white "roll" off it while pouring back & forth in & out of the two shell halves?
Would that be safe?
Yeah, the good stuff is mostly in yolk, but i would give raw whole egg a try

Gânico

If raw would be the most natural and optimal way of eating, why do most humans have a strong aversion to eating raw meat or raw eggs?
MAYBE because we are taught that raw is bad, give you parasites, diseases, kill you, etc? If you give a piece of raw meat or raw egg to children who aren't brainwashed yet, they would eat it normally.
b9cd2492a09ccd6485ef25080d1dea24.jpg

sunny

I Crack an egg in a bowl, break the yolk, add a little milk or water and drink it whole. The added liquid makes it easier drink it out of the bowl. Also add to raw milk with sugar. Tastes like melted ice cream.

OP
D

DMF

I'm healthier with the inclusion of eggs in my diet, but wasn't any healthier consuming them raw. I ate a raw diet of meat (mainly grass-fed beef and wild caught fish) and raw eggs for a time and as of fairly recently, put raw eggs in my raw milk with some raw honey and vanilla and while I enjoyed the creaminess they added, I much prefer eating them (omlettes and quiche). The only foods I’m noticeably healthier consuming raw are milk and fruit.
Raw Milk - now there's another food I'm curious about. Has it a positive effect on your digestion, overall health? People here on RayPeat swear by it.
I know someone who grew up in Lancaster PA whose family bought their milk from local Amish farms. Probably why she has a glow even in her old age

reaching

If I chug raw eggs rocky style or just eat them whole, they give me the shits. I've found at least beating them helps with digestion for me.
My two favorite ways.

- beat one raw egg in a bowl. mix with cheese of choice. mix into rice with some coconut oil. top with another raw egg yolk and more cheese. add tabasco if you like.
- get two raw eggs (take of the stringy white thing if you can) and bend them or beat them into milk (cold or warm), add honey (other spices if you like)

Jennifer

Raw Milk - now there's another food I'm curious about. Has it a positive effect on your digestion, overall health? People here on RayPeat swear by it.
I know someone who grew up in Lancaster PA whose family bought their milk from local Amish farms. Probably why she has a glow even in her old age

Yes, absolutely. Raw goat's milk has been extremely healing for me. I've gone extended periods consuming nothing but raw milk to optimize my digestion and accelerate healing—no other food or dietary approach I’ve tried has been as effective, not even my beloved fruit. lol

Summer

Yolks are the only part that should be eaten raw if you ask me. And to eliminate any bacterial concern, I recommend boiling the egg for one minute.

Yolks are the only part that should be eaten raw if you ask me. And to eliminate any bacterial concern, I recommend boiling the egg for one minute.
I agree with you not to eat the white raw. I only use the yolk in my “flip”. I like idea of boiling the egg for one minute, but I would be concerned that the heat would grow any bacteria in the egg. I crack the egg in my hand, let the white go through my fingers and rinse the yolk with room temp water.

amd

Just a warning, because someone recommends raw <something> it doesn't mean it is safe.

For example, the stories from a fishing village in Europe would make you think twice about eating raw/undercooked fish.

You can find similar stories online of tourists acquiring parasites from eating undercooked fish (fried).

In the US, you can find plenty of issues with Salmonella.

Just a warning, because someone recommends raw <something> it doesn't mean it is safe.

For example, the stories from a fishing village in Europe would make you think twice about eating raw/undercooked fish.

You can find similar stories online of tourists acquiring parasites from eating undercooked fish (fried).

In the US, you can find plenty of issues with Salmonella.
I quit buying fish for that very reason. I am barely hanging in with shrimp, crab and lobster.

PeskyPeater

I recently read some articles about this. I used to drink my eggs raw, taste like.. well eggs

There are 2 types of BiOTIN-BINDING-PROTEIN in the yolk next to the protein-bound nutrients. Boiling the yolk can release them and making them more bioavailable. I think a temp of 70C / 160 F should break the BBP.

[I suppose] Using the raw egg white on the other hand with another foods could let the free avidin bind to it's biotin and decrease it's absorption [unless heat treating it]

Biotin-Binding Proteins in Chicken Eggs and the Biotin Requirements of Chicken Embryos

aniciete

Yes, absolutely. Raw goat's milk has been extremely healing for me. I've gone extended periods consuming nothing but raw milk to optimize my digestion and accelerate healing—no other food or dietary approach I’ve tried has been as effective, not even my beloved fruit. lol
Do you skim your raw milk?

reality

For a while I thought I had a problem with eggs but it was because I was undercooking them (runny yolk/raw white on top?). I digest eggs perfectly and feel good as long as they’re fully cooked

Jennifer

Do you skim your raw milk?

The farm I get my goat's milk from skims it for me but in the past, I consumed full-fat with positive results--I built back 50% of my bone density with it.

John mcclain

And how has this impacted your health?
It hasn't my point is I've been doing it so long I've never had an issue or a worry about food poisoning or that ....I.beleive the nearer to raw with all foods is the way to go...my kids also do it too

Ben.

Soo for the first time i tried raw eggs the past two days.

I coudn't realy get myself to do it so i mixed 2 raw eggs with milk and honey. Consistency was still as awful as i thought but tastewise i didn't notice a thing other than sweet honey milk.

However stomachewise i felt a little nausea. Not bad but it was there for 10-15 minutes. Afterwards however i felt a little nerve pain above my eyes followed by some realy odd calm- and emptyness in my head. I felt so light and clear in my head.

I don't have this with any sort of cooked eggs (nor milk or honey).

Tried it two times thus far and same effect. I'll explore this further. Kinda odd to be honest but amazing at the same time. I remember something similar from raw milk but far less intense than this.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals