Is it problematic to reach 99F (37.2C) body temperature everyday?

Vileplume

After a long time struggling to get my temps up with cynoplus, I lowered the T4 and increased the T3 with cynomel. Right now I’m taking 60 mcg T4 and 27.5 mcg T3 per day. This translates to roughly 1.5 grains, as I understand it.

This change made a huge positive impact on my temperatures, and now I’m reaching 99.1F by the evening. My mood and mental sharpness are great, and my waking temp is still below Broda Barnes’ range. To be clear, I feel very good, and not anxious.

Do you think it’s dangerous to reach ~99 daily? Meaning, can going too far beyond the recommended 98.6 cause your thyroid to reduce its production long-term?

I’m familiar with Dr. Barnes’ work, and he said that it’s only dangerous if the temperature stays very elevated for a long time. I wonder if 99 is problematic, long term? Is this too high?

Thanks for your input.

tastyfood

I get 99 and 99.1 often when taking T3, especially if I'm using red light or something else that day like aspirin.

I think in Danny Roddy's podcast it was said that being 99+ ALL THE TIME, would be indicative of hyperthyroidism. If you take your temperature every two hours you'll see that you are not 99 all the time.

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

I get 99 and 99.1 often when taking T3, especially if I'm using red light or something else that day like aspirin.

I think in Danny Roddy's podcast it was said that being 99+ ALL THE TIME, would be indicative of hyperthyroidism. If you take your temperature every two hours you'll see that you are not 99 all the time.
Ah thanks. Yes, I drank a Starbucks nitro cold brew coffee, which is very caffeinated, so I think that rocketed my temp. You're right, it's still low when I wake up.

redsun

After a long time struggling to get my temps up with cynoplus, I lowered the T4 and increased the T3 with cynomel. Right now I’m taking 60 mcg T4 and 27.5 mcg T3 per day. This translates to roughly 1.5 grains, as I understand it.

This change made a huge positive impact on my temperatures, and now I’m reaching 99.1F by the evening. My mood and mental sharpness are great, and my waking temp is still below Broda Barnes’ range. To be clear, I feel very good, and not anxious.

Do you think it’s dangerous to reach ~99 daily? Meaning, can going too far beyond the recommended 98.6 cause your thyroid to reduce its production long-term?

I’m familiar with Dr. Barnes’ work, and he said that it’s only dangerous if the temperature stays very elevated for a long time. I wonder if 99 is problematic, long term? Is this too high?

Thanks for your input.
I reach 99.3 during the day and sometimes higher. A low grade fever starts at 99.6 so I think this is where the problem starts if somehow you are chronically that high temp. The actual danger of the body temperature being elevated long term is increased oxidative stress, including increased ROS production. Thyroid hormone also has protective effects on mitochondria that counteract this to a degree but once you get past a certain point its just too stressful on the body and it cannot compensate.

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

I reach 99.3 during the day and sometimes higher. A low grade fever starts at 99.6 so I think this is where the problem starts if somehow you are chronically that high temp. The actual danger of the body temperature being elevated long term is increased oxidative stress, including increased ROS production. Thyroid hormone also has protective effects on mitochondria that counteract this to a degree but once you get past a certain point its just too stressful on the body and it cannot compensate.
Thanks for this information. How do you feel when you reach 99.3? I would imagine pretty good.

redsun

Thanks for this information. How do you feel when you reach 99.3? I would imagine pretty good.
I feel good yes but a better way to describe it is I feel very capable and optimistic and this then reflects in my mood. Only issue is if sometimes my temperature gets too high its just becomes a hyperthyroid state which can be quite uncomfortable.

M

MadnessofMemory

I feel good yes but a better way to describe it is I feel very capable and optimistic and this then reflects in my mood. Only issue is if sometimes my temperature gets too high its just becomes a hyperthyroid state which can be quite uncomfortable.

Do you supplement any thyroid to get there or is this with only diet/lifestyle?

EnergeticLeo

Thanks for your input.
Congrats on the progress! After a year, this must've been a pleasant development.

I remember Danny saying on a podcast that Ray said one type of cell works best at 99F, and I remember Ray elsewhere saying a good temp is 'close to 99'.
I also suspect that human temps were closer to 99 than 98.6 in the times in our history when our average health was best. Around the time the mercury thermometer was invented in 1714, Ray said the temps of adults were 98.6 on average, and I doubt that was a time of peak human health. But in terms of long term health implications / studies I don't know as much, sorry.

Is this underarm temp with a glass thermometer? How long are you leaving it underarm?

Last edited:

Roni123@

Whats is your diet redsun ?

EnergeticLeo

As I understand it, if that high temp is brought about by increased uncoupling (which is something T3 can do), then ROS would actually be lower, as this paper explains Uncoupling to survive? The role of mitochondrial inefficiency in ageing - PubMed - Ray has referenced that paper in the past.

By what mechanisms do higher temps cause increased ROS? I don't know a huge amount about this topic.

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

Congrats on the progress! After a year, this must've been a pleasant development.

I remember Danny saying on a podcast that Ray said one type of cell works best at 99F, and I remember Ray elsewhere saying a good temp is 'close to 99'.

Is this underarm temp with a glass thermometer? How long are you leaving it underarm?
Thanks man, and thanks for that information about temps. That makes me feel better. I had trouble falling asleep last night, so there’s still work to do! But definitely warmer temps now after the thyroid ratio change, which feels like good progress.

I actually take my temperature rectally, since I’ve found it to be the most consistent. When using oral, I never could nail down the same temperature twice in a row. Now, I can get the same temp reading 5 times in a row.

I use a digital oral thermometer like this: Amazon product ASIN B08B7V2RG3View: https://www.amazon.com/Thermometer-Adults-Digital-Oral-Fever/dp/B08B7V2RG3

Last edited:

EnergeticLeo

Thanks man, and thanks for that information about temps. That makes me feel better. I had trouble falling asleep last night, so there’s still work to do! But definitely warmer temps now after the thyroid ratio change, which feels like good progress.

I actually take my temperature rectally, since I’ve found it to be the most consistent. When using oral, I never could nail down the same temperature twice in a row. Now, I can get the same temp reading 5 times in a row.

I use a digital oral thermometer like this: Amazon product ASIN B08B7V2RG3View: https://www.amazon.com/Thermometer-Adults-Digital-Oral-Fever/dp/B08B7V2RG3
Wow, now that's some commitment! :D
What do you think could be causing the insomnia?

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

Wow, now that's some commitment! :D
What do you think could be causing the insomnia?
Lol, my pursuit of better metabolism has revealed levels of determination that I previously didn't know I had.

I think the coffee overstimulated me. I love the way coffee makes my brain feel, and it boosts my temps every time, but it still keeps me up at night - perhaps from low blood sugar. Maybe I need more sugar in my diet, but the only sugars I digest well are lactose (from A2 milk) and white sugar. Too much white sugar dries my mouth out, so I'm working on a middle ground.

EnergeticLeo

Lol, my pursuit of better metabolism has revealed levels of determination that I previously didn't know I had.

I think the coffee overstimulated me. I love the way coffee makes my brain feel, and it boosts my temps every time, but it still keeps me up at night - perhaps from low blood sugar. Maybe I need more sugar in my diet, but the only sugars I digest well are lactose (from A2 milk) and white sugar. Too much white sugar dries my mouth out, so I'm working on a middle ground.
:D

That's interesting, I too recently found that coffee kept me up at night. One day I forgot to have the coffee I had, and I slept almost an hour earlier than usual. Now I stick to a smaller dose first thing in the morning.

I've read that it can also be a sign of a relatively sluggish liver, in that the caffeine is still circulating many hours later. But yes in theory, extra sugar should help that problem, thought I was having very high amounts of sugar.

Normal Human

@Vileplume
My interpretation of the situation:
Rectal temperature tends to be 0.5-1.0 degrees F higher than oral temperature.
Oral temperature tends to be 0.5-1.0 degrees F higher than armpit temperature.

Broda Barnes used waking armpit temperature to assess thyroid function. His optimal range for waking was 97.8-98.2 F (armpit). Conservatively, this would translate to 98.3-98.7 F oral waking being the optimal range. Higher waking temperatures than 97.8-98.2 F (armpit) would be considered hyper-thyroid. I don't think he continued measuring throughout the day like Ray recommended.

So, to answer your basic question - no, I think it's very unlikely this temp indicates a problem based on the above information. To be safe, you could also measure your waking armpit temperature (mercury thermometer, held under armpit for 10 minutes, taken before getting out of bed or moving too much first thing upon waking).

Source:
Temperature measurement Information | Mount Sinai - New York

redsun

Do you supplement any thyroid to get there or is this with only diet/lifestyle?
I dont supplement thyroid.
Whats is your diet redsun ?
I have went over this a few times but its usually meat, eggs, some dairy, starches like rice and potatoes, some fruit/fruit juice. I am not super strict but this is what I usually eat. I don't really avoid certain foods for the most part. I will eat mostly anything, but these foods are the main foundation of my diet.

As I understand it, if that high temp is brought about by increased uncoupling (which is something T3 can do), then ROS would actually be lower, as this paper explains Uncoupling to survive? The role of mitochondrial inefficiency in ageing - PubMed - Ray has referenced that paper in the past.

By what mechanisms do higher temps cause increased ROS? I don't know a huge amount about this topic.

Yes this why I said thyroid has protective effects that mitigate this to a degree. Uncoupling is one of them. So slightly elevated temperature is not really a problem. If other hyperthyroid symptoms such as insomnia, anxiety, panic, fast heart rate are present, then its a different story.

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

@Normal Human i forgot to clarify, I subtracted one degree F from my rectal temp readings to get the 99.1.

Meaning, the thermometer showed 100.1, but Dr. Barnes mentioned that’s 1 degree higher than the oral/underarm temperatures he usually references.

GreekDemiGod

Lately, I've registered very high temperatures, and not sure why. I'm waking up with 36.7 - 36.9 and reach 37.2 daytime. One day I even registered 37.4.
I'm not on any thyroid hormone, and not quite sure what caused it.
I started taking blackseed oil 2 weeks ago, and started my SIBO treatment a week ago. And just generally focusing more on gut health.
B12 every other day. Lots of Magnesium.
I also suffered a lot of emotional stress, so my adrenaline was also high, but I've now been able to calm it down.

Last edited:

Roni123@

I dont supplement thyroid.

I have went over this a few times but its usually meat, eggs, some dairy, starches like rice and potatoes, some fruit/fruit juice. I am not super strict but this is what I usually eat. I don't really avoid certain foods for the most part. I will eat mostly anything, but these foods are the main foundation of my diet.

Yes this why I said thyroid has protective effects that mitigate this to a degree. Uncoupling is one of them. So slightly elevated temperature is not really a problem. If other hyperthyroid symptoms such as insomnia, anxiety, panic, fast heart rate are present, then its a different story.
Do you think that eating a thyroid-promoting diet like yours will over time increase your metabolic rate?

yesterday I did some extra exercise and ate 1 kilo of ground beef, today I woke up with heavy eyes and no energy, but I don't know which of the two did it?

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

Lately, I've registered very high temperatures, and not sure why. I'm waking up with 36.7 - 36.9 and reach 37.2 daytime. One day I even registered 37.4.
I'm not on any thyroid hormone, and not quite sure what caused it.
I started taking blackseed oil 2 weeks ago, and started my SIBO treatment a week ago. And just generally focusing more on gut health.
B12 every other day. Lots of Magnesium.
I also suffered a lot of emotional stress, so my adrenaline was also high, but I've now been able to calm it down.
Sounds like things are moving in the right direction.