Is it possible to regenerate scarred and damaged hair follicles?

blue_lotus

I have a scar on my scalp where the hair follicles were presumably wiped out completely; has anyone heard of people regrowing hair from scar tissue? anecdotally I seem to recall reading a few instances of people who got laser hair removal but their hair started growing back partially. I dont know if thats a case of legitimate follicular regeneration or just hair follicles that were slightly damaged but recovered. does anyone know anything about this?

Is my only solution a transplantation of healthy follicles to the area? it seems like it, but I figured I might as well ask.

yerrag

There's no reason why the hair follicles don't come back IMHO. For the same reason that when our skin is injured and recovers, the hair growing out of that skin comes back when the skin is healed. We have stem cells that can turn into functional tissues and as long as there is enough metabolic energy to power the innate intelligence involved in differentiation that guides the development of a stem cell into a specific functionality as tissue, the hair follicles can return into the once scarred scalp.

OP
blue_lotus

blue_lotus

There's no reason why the hair follicles don't come back IMHO. For the same reason that when our skin is injured and recovers, the hair growing out of that skin comes back when the skin is healed. We have stem cells that can turn into functional tissues and as long as there is enough metabolic energy to power the innate intelligence involved in differentiation that guides the development of a stem cell into a specific functionality as tissue, the hair follicles can return into the once scarred scalp.
thanks for the reply. this sounds reassuring but is this the case IRL? I would love to hear some anecdotal experiences confirming this

yerrag

thanks for the reply. this sounds reassuring but is this the case IRL? I would love to hear some anecdotal experiences confirming this
Your guardedness is understandable. As healing is dependent of the general health of the person, and the severity of damage. If say the whole head in burned in an accident, it would be more of a challenge as when the injury is further localized, as in a small puncture or lesion or slash.

Last edited:

Ras

Mark 9:23 Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth.