Is It Possible To "know" Anything With Certainty?

Endew

While it may be understood that we can claim 'certainty' of a diet from our subjective experience, is there such thing as a diet that we can ever assure as "certain" between two or more people and to what extent?

sunraiser

While it may be understood that we can claim 'certainty' of a diet from our subjective experience, is there such thing as a diet that we can ever assure as "certain" between two or more people and to what extent?

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."
- Socrates

sunraiser

But if you know that you know nothing, doesn't that mean that you know something?

Yeah, that's the only thing you can know :)

I think the sentiment is just to keep a vigilant awareness of the potential for your own ignorance.

No matter how compelling the knowledge path you're following might seem, you always have to understand it's a perspective and not the whole truth.

That way your mind stays open to obtaining new knowledge that might seem alien based on your own limited perspective but intuitive based on another's.

That's what true intelligence is, I think. It's a constant practice though.

smith

I think the sentiment is just to keep a vigilant awareness of the potential for your own ignorance.

No matter how compelling the knowledge path you're following might seem, you always have to understand it's a perspective and not the whole truth.

That way your mind stays open to obtaining new knowledge that might seem alien based on your own limited perspective but intuitive based on another's.

That sounds reasonable, I agree. For now:wink

Last edited:

burtlancast

Of course, one definitely can know something with certainty, provided one has access to the relevant evidence.

Though it often requires hard work and perseverance, considering the widespread media disinformation.
Which brings us to the people arguing for the opposite: Martin Schotz wrote an excellent exposal of their hidden motives:

"The objective of disinformation is not to convince us of "the official account" but to create enough uncertainty that "everything is believable and nothing is knowable". "

(As wrote James Fetzer in his outing of Jim Hoffman, mole inside the 911 truth movement, who argued a Boeing did crash on the Pentagon)

(the same claim still being made by some members here...) ;)

Last edited:

x-ray peat

+1

smith

1) One of the most popular philosophical quotes of all time is a logical fallacy

2) Societal conditioning disrupts critical thinking which results in doubtful existential questions such as "Is it possible to....", implying that the validity of something's existence is solely based on impossible extremes

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals