Is It Possible To Heal Hypothyroidism Without Medicine?

Trude

i believe i have hypothyroidism because of cold feet and hands most of the day. low temperature low 35c to low 36c, almost no energy, trouble sleeping an staying asleep, need 10 hours at least and wake up every night to pee.
brain foq, cant handle stress very well.
first time i tested my thyroid it was tsh 2,6, free t4 16,6, free t3 3,9 and my anti tpo was 1300 so very high. but the doctor wont do anything, only want to give antidepressant, i quit lexapro a few months ago, they did not help and i mostly depressed because i have e so low energy i can barely do anything, i don't even have job and would not survive one.
the last few months i did the carnivore diet hoping that would help me, but i did nothing and started to make me worse the last two months.
two months ago i started to get horrible headaches that made having my eyes open hurt more, neck pains and some weird eye pressure feeling, but everything was fine on the eye test. still have them all.
i started eating more carbs about a week ago, i haven't had that much trouble adding that much carbs at ones.
before i could not even eat fruit and other things to close in a day without diarrhea, that go fine now.
i have given up on the doctors, no one gives me any help. i have had depression and fatigue at least since teens and i am 27 now and things are only getting worse.
i have tried coffee for energy but does nothing, think it makes me a bit warmer but have only drank i twice so not sure yet.
is it even possible to heal the thyroid without medicine? i could try to order from another country but it will probably only be stopped.
i'm also feel like i am short of breath all the time that started when i got sick about two month ago, that cold or flu lasted me 1,5 months, i have never been sick for that long before, the no carbs probably did not help. carbs craving just got stronger all the time.
i cant seem to fall asleep at day time even if i am dead tired, i just end up lying there for a few hours.
i can't loose weight ether, lost weight first at keto and carnivore but the it stopped at 82kg at two meals a day for months.

Last edited:

Arnold Grape

Yes — probably start with blood work, correct any obvious obvious deficiencies and incorporate an easily digestible diet, with a focus on actual digestion first.

OP
T

Trude

Yes — probably start with blood work, correct any obvious obvious deficiencies and incorporate an easily digestible diet, with a focus on actual digestion first.

all my blood work was normal. i mostly eat meat,broth,eggs,fruit, juice and sweet potato and potato and trying out coffee. i have been trying with a bit of milk and cheese but get loose stool. so gonna stop that.

No I don’t think it is probable as a normal occurrence... although I’m sure it occasionally happens.

I started having hypothyroid symptoms a few years ago following a bout of keto. My biggest complaint was horribly dry, cracked hands and feet. I began to suspect it was my thyroid and figured I'd try iodine first. I was travelling at the time and couldn't find Lugol's iodine so I tried seaweed instead.

I kid you not, within a week of eating seaweed daily my hands became supple, hydrated, and warm. I reckon I was consuming somewhere between 300 and 1000 micrograms of iodine. When I finally acquired Lugol's solution I jumped up to 12.5 milligrams of iodine while also supplementing selenium. Things went okay for about two months until I had full-blown hypothyroid symptoms out of the blue. They never resolved again until I went on t3. I probably would have been fine had I just stuck with the seaweed.

So, yes you can heal hypothyroidism through food in some cases. However, you may have hashimotos since your tpo is high while your t3 and T4 are fine. Therefore, I'd recommend eating foods high in selenium or just supplementing it. Avoid things high in iodine as that can increase thyroid antibodies. Also, go easy on the sweet potatoes, especially the orange ones, as they are mildly goitrogenic.

I highly recommend finding a good endocrinologist in your area as hormonal self-treatment is a difficult road to travel alone.

Finding a good endocrinologist is laughable in the USA. They treat by TSH, prescribe T4 when they do prescribe (no T3 because “the body makes what it needs”) and are mostly idiots. Sadly.

Self treatment is an excellent option.

tankasnowgod

is it even possible to heal the thyroid without medicine? i could try to order from another country but it will probably only be stopped.

Yes, but it depends.

First, Peat has suggested that some foods contain thyroid hormone, like milk and crab, for example. I think he suggested that you might be able to get the equivalent to 1/2 to a whole grain of thyroid, depending on diet.

There are also thyroid glandular supplements, but they can be hit or miss.

A number of things have been discussed on this forum that act like thyroid surrogates, from things like magnesium to androsterone. You could delve into that.

I think it often times could be a bit of a liver issue, so doing things to improve liver function may improve, (or even cure) the condition. Hans just wrote a great article on this very thing.

Some people notice hypothyroid symptoms go away simply by eating more carbs, especially if they were doing a low carb diet.

And lastly, and maybe the thing with most promise, red light shined (shone?) directly on the thyroid seems to have benefits, and may even be a substitute for thyroid supplementation, or could replace it over time.

There's no doubt you could see improvement, but it will likely take some research and trial and error.

jdherk

I wonder if there is a list of how much thyroid certain foods contain :D ?

That would be so awesome, I have googled like a madMan but I haven't found a list :(

Finding a good endocrinologist is laughable in the USA. They treat by TSH, prescribe T4 when they do prescribe (no T3 because “the body makes what it needs”) and are mostly idiots. Sadly.

Self treatment is an excellent option.

Good endocrinologists do exist here in America you just have to find them. Self-treatment is fine if you know what you're treating. She doesn't have clearcut hypothyroidism so I don't know how she would proceed without more blood tests. It may not even be a thyroid issue at all. Besides, taking thyroid hormones isn't a fix-all solution.

meatbag

i believe i have hypothyroidism because of cold feet and hands most of the day. low temperature low 35c to low 36c, almost no energy, trouble sleeping an staying asleep, need 10 hours at least and wake up every night to pee.
brain foq, cant handle stress very well.
first time i tested my thyroid it was tsh 2,6, free t4 16,6, free t3 3,9 and my anti tpo was 1300 so very high. but the doctor wont do anything, only want to give antidepressant, i quit lexapro a few months ago, they did not help and i mostly depressed because i have e so low energy i can barely do anything, i don't even have job and would not survive one.
the last few months i did the carnivore diet hoping that would help me, but i did nothing and started to make me worse the last two months.
two months ago i started to get horrible headaches that made having my eyes open hurt more, neck pains and some weird eye pressure feeling, but everything was fine on the eye test. still have them all.
i started eating more carbs about a week ago, i haven't had that much trouble adding that much carbs at ones.
before i could not even eat fruit and other things to close in a day without diarrhea, that go fine now.
i have given up on the doctors, no one gives me any help. i have had depression and fatigue at least since teens and i am 27 now and things are only getting worse.
i have tried coffee for energy but does nothing, think it makes me a bit warmer but have only drank i twice so not sure yet.
i'm also feel like i am short of breath all the time that started when i got sick about two month ago, that cold or flu lasted me 1,5 months, i have never been sick for that long before, the no carbs probably did not help. carbs craving just got stronger all the time.
i cant seem to fall asleep at day time even if i am dead tired, i just end up lying there for a few hours.
i can't loose weight ether, lost weight first at keto and carnivore but the it stopped at 82kg at two meals a day for months.
sorry to hear you're having a tough time. The info in this article has been helpful for me;
10 Tips for Better Sleep – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

OP
T

Trude

I started having hypothyroid symptoms a few years ago following a bout of keto. My biggest complaint was horribly dry, cracked hands and feet. I began to suspect it was my thyroid and figured I'd try iodine first. I was travelling at the time and couldn't find Lugol's iodine so I tried seaweed instead.

I kid you not, within a week of eating seaweed daily my hands became supple, hydrated, and warm. I reckon I was consuming somewhere between 300 and 1000 micrograms of iodine. When I finally acquired Lugol's solution I jumped up to 12.5 milligrams of iodine while also supplementing selenium. Things went okay for about two months until I had full-blown hypothyroid symptoms out of the blue. They never resolved again until I went on t3. I probably would have been fine had I just stuck with the seaweed.

So, yes you can heal hypothyroidism through food in some cases. However, you may have hashimotos since your tpo is high while your t3 and T4 are fine. Therefore, I'd recommend eating foods high in selenium or just supplementing it. Avoid things high in iodine as that can increase thyroid antibodies. Also, go easy on the sweet potatoes, especially the orange ones, as they are mildly goitrogenic.

I highly recommend finding a good endocrinologist in your area as hormonal self-treatment is a difficult road to travel alone.

I grave cod roe alot lately, but dont now what they have in them. Want to eat oysters but they have some percerverives. The only endocrinologist i know about is 8 hours drive away and not cheap, but considering it.
Im trying not to eat to many sweet potato.

OP
T

Trude

Yes, but it depends.

First, Peat has suggested that some foods contain thyroid hormone, like milk and crab, for example. I think he suggested that you might be able to get the equivalent to 1/2 to a whole grain of thyroid, depending on diet.

There are also thyroid glandular supplements, but they can be hit or miss.

A number of things have been discussed on this forum that act like thyroid surrogates, from things like magnesium to androsterone. You could delve into that.

I think it often times could be a bit of a liver issue, so doing things to improve liver function may improve, (or even cure) the condition. Hans just wrote a great article on this very thing.

Some people notice hypothyroid symptoms go away simply by eating more carbs, especially if they were doing a low carb diet.

And lastly, and maybe the thing with most promise, red light shined (shone?) directly on the thyroid seems to have benefits, and may even be a substitute for thyroid supplementation, or could replace it over time.

There's no doubt you could see improvement, but it will likely take some research and trial and error.

I have been vegan with lots of carbs and paleo but did no diference with symptoms.

I see some sunbeds here have red lights in them is that the same?

I am also trying the root couse protocol that is about magnesium, but i stopped the cod liver suplement they recomended.

I guess it will take a bit time anyway to adapt to eat carbs again, hopefully that will help some.

It it not easy finding out was it truth and the best with all the conflicting information. Going from carnivore to alot of carbs was not easy and worried about weight gain is no fun, but healt comes first.

OP
T

Trude

Good endocrinologists do exist here in America you just have to find them. Self-treatment is fine if you know what you're treating. She doesn't have clearcut hypothyroidism so I don't know how she would proceed without more blood tests. It may not even be a thyroid issue at all. Besides, taking thyroid hormones isn't a fix-all solution.

What tests do you mean?
I hope it's not thyroid issues it just really seems like it.
I live in norway and the closest endocrinologists that doesn't need referral is 8 hours drive away and expensive.

What tests do you mean?
I hope it's not thyroid issues it just really seems like it.
I live in norway and the closest endocrinologists that doesn't need referral is 8 hours drive away and expensive.
Tests like cortisol, sex hormones, and iron/ferritin. I'm in the same situation as you in regards to being far away from an endocrinologist which is why I order my own lab tests.

My father had many of the same symptoms as you. His t3 was excellent, at the top of the range in fact. His issue was anaemia. His iron levels were abysmal. He was always freezing, would awake multiple times throughout the night, and had no energy.

The thyroid controls energy levels but it's not the only factor. The adrenals play a major role as does your iron status. The website stopthethyroidmadness.com has some good information.

However, you could very well have the beginnings of an autoimmune issue like hashimotos since your tpo is high. I can tell you that you definitely do not want that to progress or else you will end up hypothyroid. Research as much as you can on how to lower thyroid antibodies. I believe it can be done through diet and supplementation. High thyroid antibodies is not something to be ignored.

OP
T

Trude

Tests like cortisol, sex hormones, and iron/ferritin. I'm in the same situation as you in regards to being far away from an endocrinologist which is why I order my own lab tests.

My father had many of the same symptoms as you. His t3 was excellent, at the top of the range in fact. His issue was anaemia. His iron levels were abysmal. He was always freezing, would awake multiple times throughout the night, and had no energy.

The thyroid controls energy levels but it's not the only factor. The adrenals play a major role as does your iron status. The website stopthethyroidmadness.com has some good information.

However, you could very well have the beginnings of an autoimmune issue like hashimotos since your tpo is high. I can tell you that you definitely do not want that to progress or else you will end up hypothyroid. Research as much as you can on how to lower thyroid antibodies. I believe it can be done through diet and supplementation. High thyroid antibodies is not something to be ignored.

s ferritin 89 (15-200)
iron binding capacity 66 (49-83
iron saturation 28 (10-50)
iron 18,8 (9-34)
hemoglobin 14,1 (11,7-15,3)
b12 601 (170-650) i was on b complex supplement at the time don't now if that can mess with result.
testosterone 1,7 (<3.0)
vitamin d 120(50-150) in early fall.

don't think i have done cortisol.

gonna research more about lowering tpo.

the doctor told me there is nothing to do about the tpo and i will end up with hypothyroidism at some point. not happy with that answer. feel hopeless, since all they do is take blood test and they come back fine and say there is nothing wrong with me, and get no more help.

Kvothe

Since the gut-liver axis is the problem for most people with hypothyroidism, rather than insufficient production by the gland, it should be able to correct it with proper dietary interventions. Simply eating less protein and more carbs can significantly increase circulating levels of T3 within a few days.

OP
T

Trude

Since the gut-liver axis is the problem for most people with hypothyroidism, rather than insufficient production by the gland, it should be able to correct it with proper dietary interventions. Simply eating less protein and more carbs can significantly increase circulating levels of T3 within a few days.

what is less protein? i eat about 120 grams protein for the moment and maybe about 200 grams of carbs

Kvothe

what is less protein? i eat about 120 grams protein for the moment and maybe about 200 grams of carbs

Eating around 50-60 grams of protein and significantly more carbs, as many as you desire I would say, might give you a nice T3 and testosterone boost.

OP
T

Trude

Eating around 50-60 grams of protein and significantly more carbs, as many as you desire I would say, might give you a nice T3 and testosterone boost.

Do i need a testosterone boost as a woman?
I do think its hard to add more carbs when i can't have dairy.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals