Is It Ok To Take 25000 IU Of Vitamin A (Palmitate) Weekly ?

Max2020

Hi,

I'm Taking The Following Supplements :-

- Multivitamin contains 5000 IU Of Viamin A (90% As Beta-Carotene) Daily

- 1 softgel of Natural Beta-Carotene 25000 IU Daily

- 1 Capsule of Vitamin A 25000 IU ( As Palmitate) Weekly

I'm taking weekly dosage of Vitamin A (Palmitate) because I heard that Beta-Carotene is poorly converted to vitamin A also to balance my intake of other fat soluble Vitamins ( D,E,K2) .

My Question : is it OK to taking this mount of vitamin A Weekly ?

Thank you !

keith

Hi,

I'm Taking The Following Supplements :-

- Multivitamin contains 5000 IU Of Viamin A (90% As Beta-Carotene) Daily

- 1 softgel of Natural Beta-Carotene 25000 IU Daily

- 1 Capsule of Vitamin A 25000 IU ( As Palmitate) Weekly

I'm taking weekly dosage of Vitamin A (Palmitate) because I heard that Beta-Carotene is poorly converted to vitamin A also to balance my intake of other fat soluble Vitamins ( D,E,K2) .

My Question : is it OK to taking this mount of vitamin A Weekly ?

Thank you !

I can't answer in any medically relevant way, but I have been taking about 280,000 iu daily for several weeks after reading this thread Vitamin A Is A Powerful Anti-obesity Agent By Lowering Cortisol, and haven't had any issues. I've taken 100,000/day for longer to try to reduce acne. My acne seems better at the higher amount, but I haven't lost any weight yet. My non-professional opinion is that 25,000 iu per week is extremely safe. Ray Peat is generally opposed to taking beta carotene, which apparently oxidizes similarly to PUFA causing many if the same issues, if I understand correctly. I might suggest dropping that and sticking with the retinyl form.

EIRE24

I can't answer in any medically relevant way, but I have been taking about 280,000 iu daily for several weeks after reading this thread Vitamin A Is A Powerful Anti-obesity Agent By Lowering Cortisol, and haven't had any issues. I've taken 100,000/day for longer to try to reduce acne. My acne seems better at the higher amount, but I haven't lost any weight yet. My non-professional opinion is that 25,000 iu per week is extremely safe. Ray Peat is generally opposed to taking beta carotene, which apparently oxidizes similarly to PUFA causing many if the same issues, if I understand correctly. I might suggest dropping that and sticking with the retinyl form.

How is your acne on the highest dosage? Must be non existent?

tankasnowgod

Like Keith, I've been taking a high amount (120,000 IU) daily, for a few month, and have not experienced any issues. I'm doing it mainly to see if it helps with Keratosis Pilaris. Haidut posted a study showing that toxicity symptoms don't show up until six months of dosing 200,000 to 300,000 for women, and 500,000 for men. If you don't have liver issues, Vitamin A should be very safe, even in quite high doses.

keith

How is your acne on the highest dosage? Must be non existent?

Nope, definitely not non-existent. Better, but I've also increased zinc, and have been taking some very anti-Peat iodine, which actually seemed to have more impact (based on timing, since it was added after, but the others may have had delayed results potentially), but I've completely confounded my experiment results, so can't say which does what. I just shared to vouche for my personal belief in the complete safety of vitamin A at 25,000 iu/week. I haven't experienced any toxicity issues associated with the vitamin A, or even a slight increase in orange color of callouses, that is reportedly a sign vitamin A is accumulating, at amounts about 78 times higher than that. I haven't had any blood tests or anything, so don't take my experience for more than it is worth.

OP
M

Max2020

Thank you all for the replays ..

Hmmmm I Think I will replace the 25000 IU of Beta Carotene With 25000 IU Of Palmitate is it Ok ?

Or Taking 25000 IU Of Palmitate Every 3 Days would be more safer ?

Last edited:

Area-1255

Hmmmm I Think I will replace the 25000 IU of Beta Carotene With 25000 IU Of Palmitate is it Ok ?

I would say that's a better idea, beta-carotene is a good option if you are in serious need of a well-absorbed source of Vitamin A (as with chronic deficiency or those with inadequate diet), but your average Joe who is supplementing for other purposes can easily incorporate Palmitate.
Question : What reasons do you have considering there are readily available dietary sources to supplement such amounts of Vitamin A?

EIRE24

Nope, definitely not non-existent. Better, but I've also increased zinc, and have been taking some very anti-Peat iodine, which actually seemed to have more impact (based on timing, since it was added after, but the others may have had delayed results potentially), but I've completely confounded my experiment results, so can't say which does what. I just shared to vouche for my personal belief in the complete safety of vitamin A at 25,000 iu/week. I haven't experienced any toxicity issues associated with the vitamin A, or even a slight increase in orange color of callouses, that is reportedly a sign vitamin A is accumulating, at amounts about 78 times higher than that. I haven't had any blood tests or anything, so don't take my experience for more than it is worth.
So you have had good results with iodine for acne? Which iodine do you use,

kiran

Hmm Beta Carotene and vit A are not interchangeable like that. Perhaps you should just drop the carotene and figure out just how much vit A you need.

keith

So you have had good results with iodine for acne? Which iodine do you use,

Possibly; like I said , I've confounded my experiment results by adding too many things at once. I've been using Lugol's 2% in varying amounts experimentally. If you decide to experiment with that, be aware that Dr. Peat has said that he thinks it is very dangerous to supplement iodine.

See here The Myth of Iodine Deficiency: An Interview with Dr. Ray Peat – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

And this Iodine, Supplement Reactions, Hormones And More - KMUD, 2016-02-19

keith

I should note that I'm a 250 pound/113kg man, so the dose of vitamin A I take is about the 1.4mg per kg mentioned in the obesity study, just in case anyone reading this is thinking of taking that much. Keep that in mind if you are smaller.

YuraCZ

You should seriously drop that beta carotene stuff, it is very detrimental for thyroid function.
He is taking 25000 iu of beta carotene. One 200g carrot has more than 30 000 iu of beta carotene. If it's so detrimental for the thyroid. Why Peat recommends eating carrot salad every day?

schultz

He is taking 25000 iu of beta carotene. One 200g carrot has more than 30 000 iu of beta carotene. If it's so detrimental for the thyroid. Why Peat recommends eating carrot salad every day?

Ray has mentioned sensitive people can wash the grated carrot to remove the carotene. Personally I don't worry about that level of detail.

Carotene seems like a convenient source of vitamin A if you're healthy. I've been eating lots of fruit since it's summer and crono-o-meter says I'm getting around 50,000IU a day or more, so YuraCZ has a point.

Just eat a cantaloupe or something if you want beta-carotene, you'll get like 25,000IU.

BastiFuntasty

Ray has mentioned sensitive people can wash the grated carrot to remove the carotene. Personally I don't worry about that level of detail.

Carotene seems like a convenient source of vitamin A if you're healthy. I've been eating lots of fruit since it's summer and crono-o-meter says I'm getting around 50,000IU a day or more, so YuraCZ has a point.

Just eat a cantaloupe or something if you want beta-carotene, you'll get like 25,000IU.
That's it, why supplementing something which is so easily obtainable through diet.
Peat mentioned beta carotene can be problematic in already hypos and the conversion rate is pretty low.

OP
M

Max2020

I would say that's a better idea, beta-carotene is a good option if you are in serious need of a well-absorbed source of Vitamin A (as with chronic deficiency or those with inadequate diet), but your average Joe who is supplementing for other purposes can easily incorporate Palmitate.
Question : What reasons do you have considering there are readily available dietary sources to supplement such amounts of Vitamin A?

Just as dietary supplement because i can't eat healthy every day :)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals