Is It OK To Eat An Avocado And Olives Every Day?

Logan-

Is it o.k. to eat an avocado and olives (five to ten) every day? Since these are fruits that grow in warm climates?

Tom K

Minimizing your intake of both of these foods is advised. Olives are high in oxalate. Avacado is high in deuterium. Both oxalate and deuterium should be avoided.

miki14

Olives have also beneficial properties. I eat maybe 200g of olives per week and if I don't I start to really crave them. There are some anti inflamatory properties to Olives that I haven't experience with other foods, maybe only mushrooms. Peat mentioned olive oil favorably but only in small amounts.

TeaRex14

They're both a little higher in PUFA then what's desirable. And monounsaturated fats are converted into body fat real easily, so they could cause unwanted weight gain as well. Take some quality vitamin E before you eat them and you shouldn't have a problem. Also a high muscle to fat ratio is better for tolerating PUFA, your body is able to detox the unsaturated fats faster. So someone who's in shape can obviously get by with it a little better then others as well.

According to self nutrition data, 1 avocado has 3,7 grams of polyunsaturated fat and 10 olives have 0,3 grams of PUFA. I would say the olives are ok for daily comsumption( based just on PUFA amounts), but the avocados I would eat more sparingly. Maybe substituting something very dense in calories for it could work( dried fruit, potato chips made with hydrogenated and refined coconut oil, gelatin made with fruit juice and sugar etc.)

lampofred

According to self nutrition data, 1 avocado has 3,7 grams of polyunsaturated fat and 10 olives have 0,3 grams of PUFA. I would say the olives are ok for daily comsumption( based just on PUFA amounts), but the avocados I would eat more sparingly. Maybe substituting something very dense in calories for it could work( dried fruit, potato chips made with hydrogenated and refined coconut oil, gelatin made with fruit juice and sugar etc.)

2.7 g of PUFA relative to 21 g of total fat is relatively nothing though and most of the unsaturated fat is MUFA...

The PUFA:non-PUFA ratio is actually pretty close to that of butter/milk

2.7 g of PUFA relative to 21 g of total fat is relatively nothing though and most of the unsaturated fat is MUFA...

The PUFA:non-PUFA ratio is actually pretty close to that of butter/milk
I thought that what mattered more was the saturated fat: polyunsaturated fat ratio. Also, @Amazoniac posted a study in which after a certain amount of PUFA, the ratio didn't matter anymore, and diseases in the group of rats that received PUFA oils were as bad or even a little better than in the group of rats receiving tallow plus PUFA oils.

Waremu

I thought that what mattered more was the saturated fat: polyunsaturated fat ratio. Also, @Amazoniac posted a study in which after a certain amount of PUFA, the ratio didn't matter anymore, and diseases in the group of rats that received PUFA oils were as bad or even a little better than in the group of rats receiving tallow plus PUFA oils.

PUFA to saturated fat ratio does matter a lot, but I am not personally convinced that that means one should still disregard total PUFA intake. Because remember, the ratio may have more protective effects in the short term, but as PUFA is stored and builds up in thee body long term it has it's own issues with that as well. Also keep in mind that while an avocado may only have 3.7 or so grams of PUFA, this has to be added in with the PUFA content of an already lower PUFA/Peat diet and once you do that, it can really increase total PUFA content for the day, depending on what your daily PUFA intake goal is.

I think thats what Ray Peat's general view is too. Have a link to the study?

Last edited:
PUFA to saturated fat ratio does matter a lot, but I am not personally convinced that that means one should still disregard total PUFA intake.

I think thats what Ray Peat's general view is too. Have a link to the study?
Yeah, @tca300 posted Ray's response when he asked what was the best way to keep PUFA from accumulating with age. Ray said that PUFA has to be kept really low( 0,5 grams per day) and also overall fat intake has to be low too. I'm not sure if he also said that one needs to be in a caloric deficit as well, or if it's enough to just not eat beyond your daily energetic requirements. I wonder if eating an excess of calories could be good in this scenario, since I read( I think it was in an article from Peat) that when the mitochondria wastes energy(uncoupling)they protect us against PUFAs.

I was thinking of this picture when I wrote that:
upload_2018-8-11_9-34-10-png.10277

This should be the study: Dietary polyunsaturated fat versus saturated fat in relation to mammary carcinogenesis

The thread I got this from was this one: 4 Grams Of PUFA A Day Is Not A Threshold

Well olives are kinda complicated stuff. Depending on curing process and final ingredients they could be from beneficial to highly harmful. For example it could be shitloaded with lactic and citric acids. Lactate is naturally occurring fermentation product and citric acid as an artificial additive. Another thing to consider "white spots". Those white spots on green olives are bacterial colonies. Ive seen a study saying just 1 properly fermented olive has much more CFU of bacterial/yeast cultures then a whole bottle of your most advanced probiotic.

sunraiser

Is it o.k. to eat an avocado and olives (five to ten) every day? Since these are fruits that grow in warm climates?

They're unadulterated whole foods.

I crave avocado some days but not others. I don't enjoy olives.

If you crave them then EAT them. Your body knows better than any researcher, any dogmatic fame-seeking practitioner, any incomplete piecing together of knowledge that might appear logical at face value.

Our understanding of the human body is in its infancy but many behave as though it's remotely close to being complete. Correlation almost never equals causation when it comes to diet, they're more just reflections of current needs.

If you enjoy them and crave them, eat some ******* olives :)

Both foods have plenty of "good" attributes when it comes to nutritional profile. If you really need something to focus on then focus on those facets.

If you crave them then EAT them. Your body knows better than any researcher, any dogmatic fame-seeking practitioner, any incomplete piecing together of knowledge that might appear logical at face value.

Our understanding of the human body is in its infancy but many behave as though it's remotely close to being complete. Correlation almost never equals causation when it comes to diet, they're more just reflections of current needs.

Both foods have plenty of "good" attributes when it comes to nutritional profile. If you really need something to focus on then focus on those facets.

I crave things that are bad for me. I can’t abide by this wisdom of the body all the time. I crave white chocolate and will eat a pound.

OP
L

Logan-

I agree with you in that craving is probably an important mechanism for us that might be signifying a deficiency (or deficiencies) in our bodies; but if I were to give in to my cravings, I would probably eat an avocado a day, every day. This would result in high pufa storage in my body in the long run, which we all know is very bad for a number of physiological effects PUFA has.

I stopped eating the olives due to the oxalates causing inflammation.

Last edited:

boris

If you crave them then EAT them. Your body knows better than any researcher,

Your body is also highly brainwashed from Avocado Toast instagram pictures. If you crave Avocado you probably crave fat. If you crave white chocolate you probably crave sugar. If you crave potato chips riddled with PUFA you probably crave salt.

Get a staple of good foods as per Ray's reccomendations of safe foods and stick with it. Slowly your body will understand these as your available inventory of foods and crave accordingly. My cravings for bread, donuts and potato chips have completely dissapeared after Peat.

OP
L

Logan-

When an avocado ripens (when it darkens and its flesh gets softer), does that mean its oil is oxidized/rancid already?

lampofred

Maybe not everyday but I don't know if they would be harmful if eaten a few days a week, since oleic acid strongly lowers serotonin.

boris

I used to eat them every day. I recently remembered that plain avocado didn't even taste good to me. Whenever I ate a plain avocado I stopped after a few spoons and a had a similar reaction to this.
little-18-month-african-toddler-260nw-357375008.jpg

Only when I added salt and lemon or vinegar, could I eat larger amounts like a whole or two avocadoes.

Aries

I used to eat them every day. I recently remembered that plain avocado didn't even taste good to me. Whenever I ate a plain avocado I stopped after a few spoons and a had a similar reaction to this.
little-18-month-african-toddler-260nw-357375008.jpg

Only when I added salt and lemon or vinegar, could I eat larger amounts like a whole or two avocadoes.
Of course food combinations taste better. Coconut oil and rapeseed oil are equally disgusting eaten plain IMO.

boris

I think coconut oil is tasty. My cat eats it plain too.

What I meant to say is not that avocado tastes better in combination, but that my body rejected it when eaten plain.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals