Is It OK If I Never Eat Liver?

I've never been able to stomach liver. Thanks to this forum I really made an effort to eat it, in the form of pate I made (with tons of other flavors added in). And now I know for sure: I 100% cannot eat liver - pate, sauteed, or in any form.

So my question is: Should I be taking some sort of desiccated liver supplement?

How much am I really missing out on if I never eat liver?

Scenes

Personally I find oysters to be a far more important food to include than liver. I hate both, but will force some oysters down once or twice a week for huge benefit.

Liver I don’t notice much from.

Maljam

Don't force something you can't stomach eating, it isn't the end of the world.

Jessie

I agree with the aforementioned. Don't force yourself to eat food you perceive to be terrible. You can replicate liver's nutrition by just eating eggs, oysters, and dairy.

OP
wealthofwisdom
Personally I find oysters to be a far more important food to include than liver. I hate both, but will force some oysters down once or twice a week for huge benefit.

Seafood is a whole other issue for me , and to be honest there's even less of a chance I could force myself to est oysters...It's just never going to happen. (I've been trying to make myself eat seafood my entire life, and I've finally given up. Just no way).

But i am open to eating dried/encapsuled oysters or liver.

Maljam

Seafood is a whole other issue for me , and to be honest there's even less of a chance I could force myself to est oysters...It's just never going to happen. (I've been trying to make myself eat seafood my entire life, and I've finally given up. Just no way).

But i am open to eating dried/encapsuled oysters or liver.

I'd be very cautious of eating something like that dried. Stick to Jessie's advice above, you can get your nutrition from elsewhere, you don't absolutely need to eat liver or oysters to be healthy.

OP
wealthofwisdom
I agree with the aforementioned. Don't force yourself to eat food you perceive to be terrible. You can replicate liver's nutrition by just eating eggs, oysters, and dairy.

It's not that I perceive it to be terrible, it's that certain foods (liver and all seafood included) trigger my gag reflex. I have to concentrate really hard not to reject it from my body. I perceive them to be healthy and good for me, but it's really hard for me to force myself to eat them. I've finally decided life is too short to make myself eat things that are that unpleasant for me.

But I do love eating eggs and dairy. If I never eat oysters or liver, is that so bad? Or should I be supplementing with pill versions of them?

OP
wealthofwisdom
I'd be very cautious of eating something like that dried. Stick to Jessie's advice above, you can get your nutrition from elsewhere, you don't absolutely need to eat liver or oysters to be healthy.

Well that's good to hear :) Is there any other sort of food or vitamin a person who never eats any seafood (oysters included) or liver should supplement with? Like maybe red peppers for vitamin A...and I don't know what for zinc?

Maljam

It's not that I perceive it to be terrible, it's that certain foods (liver and all seafood included) trigger my gag reflex. I have to concentrate really hard not to reject it from my body. I perceive them to be healthy and good for me, but it's really hard for me to force myself to eat them. I've finally decided life is too short to make myself eat things that are that unpleasant for me.

But I do love eating eggs and dairy. If I never eat oysters or liver, is that so bad? Or should I be supplementing with pill versions of them?

Don't eat anything that makes you gag!

Well that's good to hear :) Is there any other sort of food or vitamin a person who never eats any seafood (oysters included) or liver should supplement with? Like maybe red peppers for vitamin A...and I don't know what for zinc?

Egg yolks, butter, meat, dairy, fruits and potatoes should cover most things. Have a play around with food nutrition websites. Outside of proven deficiencies you don't need collosal amounts of zinc or vitamin A.

snacks

Rostov-on-Don, Russia/Southern United States
I've never been able to stomach liver. Thanks to this forum I really made an effort to eat it, in the form of pate I made (with tons of other flavors added in). And now I know for sure: I 100% cannot eat liver - pate, sauteed, or in any form.

Just eat around your deficiencies. Liver doesn't have any magical properties, though if you can stomach eating the heart you may be able to absorb the animal's spirit. For that matter, neither do oysters, carrots, etc. They're all valuable because they're good at something or provide a lot of something but if you can get the same thing in a way that's more palatable there's no reason not to.

Lollipop2

I do not eat liver and am healthy. I occasionally eat seafood - oysters, but truthfully since this whole global situation going on, I haven’t in months. All is good on my front. But I drink 1-2 8oz glasses a day of whole milk and eat beef maybe a few times a week for the zinc.

OP
wealthofwisdom
I do not eat liver and am healthy. I occasionally eat seafood - oysters, but truthfully since this whole global situation going on, I haven’t in months. All is good on my front. But I drink 1-2 8oz glasses a day of whole milk and eat beef maybe a few times a week for the zinc.

This sounds like my diet, except I probably eat even more beef. I am pretty healthy too, in fact extremely healthy (have been my whole life). But I have issues with mental and physical fatigue that come and go. i guess I'm wondering if I have some sort of vitamin A deficiency (and whatever else is in seafood and organ meats) since I never eat them.

OP
wealthofwisdom
Just eat around your deficiencies. Liver doesn't have any magical properties, though if you can stomach eating the heart you may be able to absorb the animal's spirit. For that matter, neither do oysters, carrots, etc. They're all valuable because they're good at something or provide a lot of something but if you can get the same thing in a way that's more palatable there's no reason not to.

I actually love the idea of eating organs, and I really wish I wasn't such a finicky eater. By finicky I mean it's physically hard for me to make myself eat something that some part of my brain is rejecting.

snacks

Rostov-on-Don, Russia/Southern United States
I actually love the idea of eating organs, and I really wish I wasn't such a finicky eater. By finicky I mean it's physically hard for me to make myself eat something that some part of my brain is rejecting.

how palatable/unpalatable you find something has a real effect on how you digest it; there is literally nothing wrong with dessicated organs if you can't stomach the idea of the whole thing tbh

gaze

watch out for deficiencies in selenium, copper, vitamin b1, and possibly folate, managanese

schultz

You don't like oysters even in the form of Oysters Rockafeller or something? Also, I don't know how anyone can not like the St. Jeans canned oysters. They're freaking amazing.

As far as liver goes, if you pan fry it it tends not to be very good. Charcoal BBQ is the way to go. I've been doing it for years like this. It is really delicious liver but a couple months back I had no charcoal and decided to pan fry it and it was not good at all. From now on it's charcoal BBQ only.

Sometimes I feel like people just need to come over for dinner and I can show them what things are supposed to taste like lol.

Lollipop2

Sometimes I feel like people just need to come over for dinner and I can show them what things are supposed to taste like lol.
I will come! :): I would love to meet you and your amazing family and see your land/farm of sorts...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals