Is it normal to get very pale stools from drinking lots of milk?

username

I have consumed dairy regularly over the years, so it is nothing new for my body, but I never thought to ask if the pale stools were normal. I just assumed that it was, but so much is off about my digestion, so I figured I'd come here to ask. I get VERY pale stools from milk (whole or skim), granted I am drinking a lot of it. I normally drink whole milk and not skim, but both of them give me pale stools. Right now I am experimenting with one gallon of whole milk per day and nothing else. My stools are a light yellowish beige. I have read that pale stools are often an indication that the liver is not making enough bile. Is this also the case with milk, or dose milk normally produce very pale stools? Like I said this is whole milk, which contains fats and should stimulate bile production. Also, the stools appear very clay-like. Thanks for any advice!

Comstock

I get the same stool when I eat large amounts of farmer's cheese. I think I get the same when I drink lots of milk too, but I haven't really done that in a while.

I'm guessing it's fine, but I don't know for sure. I think Peat has said pale stools are fine.

ljihkugft7

I have consumed dairy regularly over the years, so it is nothing new for my body, but I never thought to ask if the pale stools were normal. I just assumed that it was, but so much is off about my digestion, so I figured I'd come here to ask. I get VERY pale stools from milk (whole or skim), granted I am drinking a lot of it. I normally drink whole milk and not skim, but both of them give me pale stools. Right now I am experimenting with one gallon of whole milk per day and nothing else. My stools are a light yellowish beige. I have read that pale stools are often an indication that the liver is not making enough bile. Is this also the case with milk, or dose milk normally produce very pale stools? Like I said this is whole milk, which contains fats and should stimulate bile production. Also, the stools appear very clay-like. Thanks for any advice!
Do they float or sink? I think that is a good way to tell if you're digesting fat. Float = low fat digestion?
Maybe try having an oxbile with the milk and see if it changes anything?

OP
username

username

I get the same stool when I eat large amounts of farmer's cheese. I think I get the same when I drink lots of milk too, but I haven't really done that in a while.

I'm guessing it's fine, but I don't know for sure. I think Peat has said pale stools are fine.
Thanks for sharing your experience!
insufficient iron / excess calcium
Interesting. Though it also happens when I have a good amount of milk (~1/2 gallon) with a lot of red meat (~500 grams).
Do they float or sink? I think that is a good way to tell if you're digesting fat. Float = low fat digestion?
Maybe try having an oxbile with the milk and see if it changes anything?
They sink.

I was just surprised not to hear a whole lot about pale stools from milk in this forum because of the amount of milk many people drink around here. Even if I consume ~1.5 quarts in a day with lots of other foods (mostly red meat) I will get very pale stools. I use that amount for the example because I rarely would have less if I were to consume milk.

MitchMitchell

But calcium inhibits iron absorption like nothing else so if you’re sensitive, the proper quantity Of milk is... zero

OP
username

username

But calcium inhibits iron absorption like nothing else so if you’re sensitive, the proper quantity Of milk is... zero
Peat is pretty emphatic about the calcium:phosphorous ratio and also limiting iron. Would separating milk consumption from meals with red meat suffice?

Smitty

Sorry to revive this thread. I too, have found that even small quantities of milk – 2 cups a day, 1 cup of yogurt, and a block of cheese result in pale stools. It still sinks and is of no foul odour. I experience no negative digestive issues otherwise with dairy. When I discontinue the milk my stool returns to a typical healthy color the following day.

To stimulate bile flow I've regularly taken taurine, dark chocolate, coffee, and ox bile.. but to no avail. If anyone has insight as to why this happens or if it's of any sort of hinderance to my health, I'd really appreciate it.

Guacamayo

Any updates @Smitty? I think @MitchMitchell was on the money when he said high calcium could be a cause. I've recently started to get pale stools every afternoon and evening (only in the morning are they the normal brown color) and recent bloodwork showed I had calcium slightly above range - previously my calcium was always fine and my stools were a brown color.

Smitty

No notable changes @Guacamayo, it's still more pale than it was pre-peat. High calcium would be sensible, however, I only consume about 2 cups (500ml) a day in addition to some yogurt, cheese, and ice cream. Nothing excessive but it may be worth it to have my calcium levels tested next time I get bloodwork. My digestion is otherwise normal so its still strange to me.

Do you have any other digestive symptoms? And do you supplement K2?

SuperStressed

Happens to me when I eat only cheese for protein. So that makes a few of us who get that from milk foods. So its probably normal?

peter88

Happens to me when I eat only cheese for protein. So that makes a few of us who get that from milk foods. So its probably normal?
I doubt having pale stools is normal. I’m not exactly sure why Ray has said pale stools are fine and didn’t elaborate.

gaze

depends on what is considered pale. light brown is actually an optimal color. high dairy and lower fat, lots of fruits will make it light brown. calcium supplements are known to make stool lighter. but if its like chalky sand (like hummus) or grey type of pale, then that indicates pretty severe bile or pancreatic blockage. yellow is somewhere in between, and has a lot of different causes. if the stool is smelly and takes lots of wipes, its usually excess undigested fat

SuperStressed

Yellow usually indicates excess fat/ low bile
I know but it only happened when I was eating only masa tortillas, raw cheddar and white chocolate...

Im doing a simillar diet now with only masa tortillas and cheddar, no chocolate, ill know by tommorow if its changed back to yellow from brown.

Hard to know if its just reflecting the colours of the foods or indicating i dont digest the foods properly. This past week ive been eating beef, mash potatoes, cheddar and butter = normal brown stools. It seems to be when I drop the meat and just eat dairy. Well I will see if it changes back to yellow.

Corn is yellow too ofcourse

Last edited:

Jennifer

I know but it only happened when I was eating only masa tortillas, raw cheddar and white chocolate...

Im doing a simillar diet now with only masa tortillas and cheddar, no chocolate, ill know by tommorow if its changed back to yellow from brown.

Hard to know if its just reflecting the colours of the foods or indicating i dont digest the foods properly. This past week ive been eating beef, mash potatoes, cheddar and butter = normal brown stools. It seems to be when I drop the meat and just eat dairy. Well I will see if it changes back to yellow.

Corn is yellow too ofcourse

I was in communication with a RPF member who wrote Ray about having pale stools and Ray replied that “pale is normal with a milk diet.” I get yellow stools too with a milk diet and light brown stools with the inclusion of shellfish. I no longer have gallbladder disease and my stools don’t smell so the color seems to be due to heavy dairy consumption, in my case. I found this chart helpful:

Stool colorPossible causes (dietary or other)Should you see your healthcare provider?
Red stool
  • Beets, red wine, food coloring
  • Bleeding in the lower intestinal tract such as the large intestine or rectum
If you suspect blood in the stool, consult your physician
Blackstool
  • Blueberries, charcoal tablets, iron supplements
  • Bleeding in the upper gastrointestinal tract such as the stomach
Yes, if changes can’t be explained by food or medication.
Dark brown stool
  • Increased meat consumption
  • Low fluid intake
Usually harmless
Yellowstool
  • Antibiotics, dairy products
  • Inability to digest or absorb fat
Yes, if changes persist for several weeks or can’t be explained by food or medication.
White stool
  • Bismuth-based medications
  • Lack of bile
Yes
Green stool
  • Spinach, broccoli
  • Bacterial infection (e.g. by salmonella)
Yes, if accompanied by diarrhea
Orange stool
  • Carrots
Usually harmless

peter88

I was in communication with a RPF member who wrote Ray about having pale stools and Ray replied that “pale is normal with a milk diet.” I get yellow stools too with a milk diet and light brown stools with the inclusion of shellfish. I no longer have gallbladder disease and my stools don’t smell so the color seems to be due to heavy dairy consumption, in my case. I found this chart helpful:

Stool colorPossible causes (dietary or other)Should you see your healthcare provider?
Red stool
  • Beets, red wine, food coloring
  • Bleeding in the lower intestinal tract such as the large intestine or rectum
If you suspect blood in the stool, consult your physician
Blackstool
  • Blueberries, charcoal tablets, iron supplements
  • Bleeding in the upper gastrointestinal tract such as the stomach
Yes, if changes can’t be explained by food or medication.
Dark brown stool
  • Increased meat consumption
  • Low fluid intake
Usually harmless
Yellowstool
  • Antibiotics, dairy products
  • Inability to digest or absorb fat
Yes, if changes persist for several weeks or can’t be explained by food or medication.
White stool
  • Bismuth-based medications
  • Lack of bile
Yes
Green stool
  • Spinach, broccoli
  • Bacterial infection (e.g. by salmonella)
Yes, if accompanied by diarrhea
Orange stool
  • Carrots
Usually harmless

What does your diet consist of if you don’t mind me asking?