Is It Good To Supplement Niacinamide After A Fatty Lunch?

milk_lover

It's been two days now after eating lunch, I take 100mg niacinamide. I get so sleepy and tired no matter how many cups of coffee I drink. In fact, I get even more sleepy after drinking coffee. What is going on here? Is it not good to take niacinamide after a fatty meal? I tested something out today also. Around 4:30 pm, I ate a cup of hagdaz vanilla and I took 100mg of niacinamide with a sugared milky coffee. I took a long nap, about five hours! I wake up refreshed, but I'd like to know what is going on. What are the best supplements to take with lunch if my lunch is usually a fatty lunch because I eat out with my friends? fatty doesn't mean PUFA btw, mostly saturated fat.

Diokine

Interesting question. Let's assume that following a fatty meal without niacinamide, blood triglyceride levels will rise. Niacinamide inhibits acetyl-coA, preventing lipogenesis and lowering the rate of triglyceride synthesis. I wonder, what are the intermediate products of beta oxidation and how they impact orexin (one of the principle peptides involved in promoting wakefulness) and orexigenic neurons? It's shown that triglyceride levels are positively correlated with an increase in orexin activity, maybe there is a possible drop in orexin due to reduced triglycerides or previously mentioned intermediate products. Something along those lines :D There is a lot evidence showing that fatty acid metabolism is important for regulating sleep patterns...

jyb

It's been two days now after eating lunch, I take 100mg niacinamide. I get so sleepy and tired no matter how many cups of coffee I drink. In fact, I get even more sleepy after drinking coffee. What is going on here? Is it not good to take niacinamide after a fatty meal? I tested something out today also. Around 4:30 pm, I ate a cup of hagdaz vanilla and I took 100mg of niacinamide with a sugared milky coffee. I took a long nap, about five hours! I wake up refreshed, but I'd like to know what is going on. What are the best supplements to take with lunch if my lunch is usually a fatty lunch because I eat out with my friends? fatty doesn't mean PUFA btw, mostly saturated fat.

Niacinamide is surprisingly potent at reducing circulating free fatty acids (at the amounts found in supplements - not necessarily in food), so it will kill beta oxidation even if your meal was fatty. Coffee should also kill it, so with that combo you're not using fat after the meal... This could force you towards more glucose oxidation while niacinamide is being metabolised, but I'm just speculating. However, the sleepiness of niacinamide could be due to its effects on the brain as shown on studies posted on this forum, and I don't know if that's related at all.

OP
milk_lover

milk_lover

I think the sleepiness I got was due to bad excipients in the supplement I was using at the time (e.g., silica). I switched brands and I get a relax feeling with very slight sleepiness but it is not excessive. I shower with niacinamide+coffee+glycine combo every other day and I feel calm and happy after the shower. So I think niacinamide is the most responsible. BTW, my hair is in a very good condition using that combo and my skin even. When I add aspirin, I get edema in the face though.

tara

Possibly, need sleep, get food etc that gives you enough energy to sleep -> get sleepy, have a good nap - just what the body wanted?

Birdie

In the morning, I find that niacinamide (100 to 250mg) brings on brain fog and tiredness. And I get the rapid heartbeat often with it. Makes me feel like going back to bed right after breakfast if I take it then.

I can avoid the tired scenario only by taking it with food later in the day. Am trying it around 5 or 6 pm right now. That's working fine.

Bedtime, even with food, seemed to cause the rapid heartbeat and that kept me awake.

Birdie

I think the sleepiness I got was due to bad excipients in the supplement I was using at the time (e.g., silica). I switched brands and I get a relax feeling with very slight sleepiness but it is not excessive. I shower with niacinamide+coffee+glycine combo every other day and I feel calm and happy after the shower. So I think niacinamide is the most responsible. BTW, my hair is in a very good condition using that combo and my skin even. When I add aspirin, I get edema in the face though.
Do you wash your hair with that combo? Does the niacinamide/glycine dissolve or stay grainy? And how did you decide on that combo?

About the edema, do you get that only with topical aspirin? What about taking it orally. I wonder since I've developed edema in my calves these past 3 years.... Don't see how aspirin would be part of the problem. Should help, but...?

OP
milk_lover

milk_lover

Do you wash your hair with that combo? Does the niacinamide/glycine dissolve or stay grainy? And how did you decide on that combo?

About the edema, do you get that only with topical aspirin? What about taking it orally. I wonder since I've developed edema in my calves these past 3 years.... Don't see how aspirin would be part of the problem. Should help, but...?
Yes I wash my hair with that combo. I didn't find studies about applying glycine on hair but I did try it out of curiosity and I have liked its effect. The curiosity came about because taurine is supposedly similar to glycine (both are antiestrogenic) and taurine is known to be good for hair health. And I don't have pure taurine powder but I do have pure glycine powder.

Google search gave me confidence about the good solubility of glycine and niacinamide in water, and whatever float in the solution combo may be due the excipients in my niacinamide supplement (cellulose, rice powder, dicalcium phosphate).

I did write before that high supplementation of aspirin orally gave me edema maybe because it may have raised my metabolism too much without enough fuel and that created stress symptoms. I also get edema in my face when I add aspirin to that combo (1g dissolved in hot 150ml of water to increase aspirin solubility) and let the solution cool down.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals