Is it easier to digest jello vs. liquid gelatin?

Bluebell

I'm having a little trouble digesting the gelatin well.

I was having it in hot water with sugar, but I switched to hot milk which is a little better.

I was wondering if actually eating the gelatin in the form of jello is easier to digest? (I could make a milk/coffee jello)

And if I do that, should I try and eat the jello with a meal, or on it's own for better digestion?

thanks!

ilovethesea

Bluebell said:
I'm having a little trouble digesting the gelatin well.

I was having it in hot water with sugar, but I switched to hot milk which is a little better.

I was wondering if actually eating the gelatin in the form of jello is easier to digest? (I could make a milk/coffee jello)

And if I do that, should I try and eat the jello with a meal, or on it's own for better digestion?

thanks!

I am finding it better as a cooked jello. When I started Peating I just put 1 tbsp non hydrolyzed Great Lakes into a little bit of water for a minute then poured hot coffee over it. I had terrible allergies (sneezing, runny nose) for about 4 months until I figured out it was the gelatin. Lately I have been adding it back in in the form of gummy squares with coffee or oj and I'm finding I don't get allergy symptoms this way. I mean to email Peat about this at some point as when I asked him about what could be causing my allergies, gelatin was not something he pointed out even after I told him my full diet. I wonder if it is also just one of those things that you get more tolerant to as you normalize your thyroid, progesterone, cortisol, etc.

OP
Bluebell

Bluebell

Thanks a lot ilovethesea.

I heard the non-hydro is perhaps less allergenic, that's why I got that one, and it seems you got it too.

It's weird but I think the gelatin might be too much for my liver and/or possibly making my teeth hurt a bit (feeding bacteria?).

They are quite slight symptoms and I've had a stressful couple of days so it could be that instead.

In other ways though it seems the gelatin suits me.

How do you make your gummy squares, with OJ? I was thinking of making them really strong as I'm trying to eat quite a bit of gelatin if I can tolerate it (so maybe 25g in 1 cup of latte, made into gummy).

ilovethesea

Oh really? I was almost going to order hydrolyzed in hopes I'd be able to tolerate it better than what I have now, but I don't think I will bother. I kind of prefer how it gels up and just using it to make dessert type things anyway. More fun that way!

How much are you taking per day now? Maybe you just need to start really low and build up a tolerance. I do think it's one of the best things we can eat. I feel really good having gelatin squares for dinner now instead of a heavier meal like I used to.

I have some oj ones sitting in the fridge now so can let you know how those turn out! The more gelatin the denser they are. I used a full 1/2 cup of gelatin to 2 cups oj and 1 cup of sugar. Might be too sweet. For the coffee ones I use this recipe and it turns out great: http://peatarian.com/10854/gelatin-%26- ... 854#q10854. I use a full cup of sugar there as well.

There is also a pretty good chocolate pudding recipe you might try. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012 ... ecipe.html

juanitacarlos

I've heard to that a lot of people do better on the hyrdrolyzed, so maybe it's worth getting a can to trial? I use it all the time in juice, coffee, milk etc and I have no problems.

And let's not forget home made broth. it's awesome.

OP
Bluebell

Bluebell

ilovethesea said:
Oh really? I was almost going to order hydrolyzed in hopes I'd be able to tolerate it better than what I have now, but I don't think I will bother. I kind of prefer how it gels up and just using it to make dessert type things anyway. More fun that way!

How much are you taking per day now? Maybe you just need to start really low and build up a tolerance. I do think it's one of the best things we can eat. I feel really good having gelatin squares for dinner now instead of a heavier meal like I used to.

I have some oj ones sitting in the fridge now so can let you know how those turn out! The more gelatin the denser they are. I used a full 1/2 cup of gelatin to 2 cups oj and 1 cup of sugar. Might be too sweet. For the coffee ones I use this recipe and it turns out great: http://peatarian.com/10854/gelatin-%26- ... 854#q10854. I use a full cup of sugar there as well.

There is also a pretty good chocolate pudding recipe you might try. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012 ... ecipe.html

I'm taking 25-50g. I will back down if these issues persist. Right now it's the next day & my tum seems OK.

I agree I think it's such a good thing to eat. I'd love to hear how yours turn out. That's super strong, like I'm planning to make too. Nice n rubbery!

Thanks so much for those recipes. I am inspired, and now I think I'm going to make milk chocolate jellos and eat them as dessert. Because I'm on weight loss, I'll make them with semi-skimmed milk + the cocoa/sugar/salt/possibly a little vanilla. & I'll make them with lots of gelatin so I can pack in eating a lot without having to down large volumes of the finished jellos.

OP
Bluebell

Bluebell

ttramone said:
I've heard to that a lot of people do better on the hyrdrolyzed, so maybe it's worth getting a can to trial? I use it all the time in juice, coffee, milk etc and I have no problems.

And let's not forget home made broth. it's awesome.

Thank you that's really helpful, in that case I will give it a go the next time I order. It would be really convenient.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals