Is it easier to digest jello vs. liquid gelatin?

Bluebell

Member
Joined
May 24, 2013
Messages
437
I'm having a little trouble digesting the gelatin well.

I was having it in hot water with sugar, but I switched to hot milk which is a little better.

I was wondering if actually eating the gelatin in the form of jello is easier to digest? (I could make a milk/coffee jello)

And if I do that, should I try and eat the jello with a meal, or on it's own for better digestion?

thanks!
 

ilovethesea

Member
Joined
Feb 9, 2013
Messages
728
Bluebell said:
I'm having a little trouble digesting the gelatin well.

I was having it in hot water with sugar, but I switched to hot milk which is a little better.

I was wondering if actually eating the gelatin in the form of jello is easier to digest? (I could make a milk/coffee jello)

And if I do that, should I try and eat the jello with a meal, or on it's own for better digestion?

thanks!

I am finding it better as a cooked jello. When I started Peating I just put 1 tbsp non hydrolyzed Great Lakes into a little bit of water for a minute then poured hot coffee over it. I had terrible allergies (sneezing, runny nose) for about 4 months until I figured out it was the gelatin. Lately I have been adding it back in in the form of gummy squares with coffee or oj and I'm finding I don't get allergy symptoms this way. I mean to email Peat about this at some point as when I asked him about what could be causing my allergies, gelatin was not something he pointed out even after I told him my full diet. I wonder if it is also just one of those things that you get more tolerant to as you normalize your thyroid, progesterone, cortisol, etc.
 

Bluebell

Member
Thread starter
Joined
May 24, 2013
Messages
437
Thanks a lot ilovethesea.

I heard the non-hydro is perhaps less allergenic, that's why I got that one, and it seems you got it too.

It's weird but I think the gelatin might be too much for my liver and/or possibly making my teeth hurt a bit (feeding bacteria?).

They are quite slight symptoms and I've had a stressful couple of days so it could be that instead.

In other ways though it seems the gelatin suits me.

How do you make your gummy squares, with OJ? I was thinking of making them really strong as I'm trying to eat quite a bit of gelatin if I can tolerate it (so maybe 25g in 1 cup of latte, made into gummy).
 

ilovethesea

Member
Joined
Feb 9, 2013
Messages
728
Oh really? I was almost going to order hydrolyzed in hopes I'd be able to tolerate it better than what I have now, but I don't think I will bother. I kind of prefer how it gels up and just using it to make dessert type things anyway. More fun that way!

How much are you taking per day now? Maybe you just need to start really low and build up a tolerance. I do think it's one of the best things we can eat. I feel really good having gelatin squares for dinner now instead of a heavier meal like I used to.

I have some oj ones sitting in the fridge now so can let you know how those turn out! The more gelatin the denser they are. I used a full 1/2 cup of gelatin to 2 cups oj and 1 cup of sugar. Might be too sweet. For the coffee ones I use this recipe and it turns out great: http://peatarian.com/10854/gelatin-%26- ... 854#q10854. I use a full cup of sugar there as well.

There is also a pretty good chocolate pudding recipe you might try. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012 ... ecipe.html
 

juanitacarlos

Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2012
Messages
417
I've heard to that a lot of people do better on the hyrdrolyzed, so maybe it's worth getting a can to trial? I use it all the time in juice, coffee, milk etc and I have no problems.

And let's not forget home made broth. it's awesome.
 

Bluebell

Member
Thread starter
Joined
May 24, 2013
Messages
437
ilovethesea said:
Oh really? I was almost going to order hydrolyzed in hopes I'd be able to tolerate it better than what I have now, but I don't think I will bother. I kind of prefer how it gels up and just using it to make dessert type things anyway. More fun that way!

How much are you taking per day now? Maybe you just need to start really low and build up a tolerance. I do think it's one of the best things we can eat. I feel really good having gelatin squares for dinner now instead of a heavier meal like I used to.

I have some oj ones sitting in the fridge now so can let you know how those turn out! The more gelatin the denser they are. I used a full 1/2 cup of gelatin to 2 cups oj and 1 cup of sugar. Might be too sweet. For the coffee ones I use this recipe and it turns out great: http://peatarian.com/10854/gelatin-%26- ... 854#q10854. I use a full cup of sugar there as well.

There is also a pretty good chocolate pudding recipe you might try. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012 ... ecipe.html

I'm taking 25-50g. I will back down if these issues persist. Right now it's the next day & my tum seems OK.

I agree I think it's such a good thing to eat. I'd love to hear how yours turn out. That's super strong, like I'm planning to make too. Nice n rubbery!

Thanks so much for those recipes. I am inspired, and now I think I'm going to make milk chocolate jellos and eat them as dessert. Because I'm on weight loss, I'll make them with semi-skimmed milk + the cocoa/sugar/salt/possibly a little vanilla. & I'll make them with lots of gelatin so I can pack in eating a lot without having to down large volumes of the finished jellos.
 

Bluebell

Member
Thread starter
Joined
May 24, 2013
Messages
437
ttramone said:
I've heard to that a lot of people do better on the hyrdrolyzed, so maybe it's worth getting a can to trial? I use it all the time in juice, coffee, milk etc and I have no problems.

And let's not forget home made broth. it's awesome.

Thank you that's really helpful, in that case I will give it a go the next time I order. It would be really convenient.
 
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
L Boiling Milk Might Make It Easier To Digest Milk 20
yerrag RESPERATE-$300 BP Lowering Device - Is It Just An Easier Way To Buteyko? Heart, Heart Rate, Blood Pressure 5
A Peating Tips And Tricks - What Do You Do To Make Peating Easier? Ask For Help or Advice 4
R "The Farther A Substance Is From Its Precursor Material, The Easier It Is To Cause Unwanted Effects Ray Peat Quotes 10
Xisca Emulsify Your Fats For Easier Digestion! Aka Homemade Mayonnaise And Mousse Recipes 23
C No digestive symptoms, yet I don't digest anything... Digestion 9
S Weekly digest. Suggestions, Complaints, Board Glitches 3
lvysaur Does chicken digest faster than beef? Meat 4
S No longer receiving weekly digest Ask For Help or Advice 1
V Eating More Nutritious Food That I Don't Crave And I Find Hard To Digest Or Avoid Them At All? Digestion 9
GelatinGoblin Help -- How To Digest A Lot Of Food Quickly And Efficiently Digestion 10
ScurveDream You Cannot Digest & Utilize Food, Protein, Etc. -- Everything You Consume Is Worthless Health 64
TheBeard Still Can’t Digest Raw Milk Even After Antibiotics Digestion 100
HealthisWealth Is It Possible To Digest Vegetable And No Leafy Stool? Vegetables, Grains, Legumes, Fiber 0
L Easy To Digest Lunch Suggestions Digestion 5
paka Why All Of The Sudden I Can't Digest Milk Lactose? Working Through Milk Issues 16
charlie Weekly Digest & Email Subscription/Daily Digest Is Now Available! Ray Peat Forum Announcements 9
C Suddenly Can't Digest Milk Anymore In The Last 7 Days? Digestion 9
S Haven't received digest in a long time Ray Peat Forum Announcements 5
jzeno Fruit Juice Jello Recipes 5
D Eating Homemade Gelatin Raw Like Jello Instead Of Heating To Broth Gelatin 8
ken Pho Jello Recipes 0
N How To Make HUGE TWO LITER Gummy Pepsi Cola Bottle Fun & Easy Make Your Own Jello Dessert! Recipes 18
alexander101 Jello vs Gelatin (for glycine content) Gelatin 4
4peatssake Coffee Jello/Coffee Gelatin Recipes 4
charlie Panna Cotta (milk jello) Recipes 8

Similar threads

Top