Is it alright to take cyproheptadine every three days?

worrywart

My tinnitus has recently gotten worse. I've been taking cyproheptadine in an attempt to remedy it, and indeed it seems to have reduced the tinnitus somewhat, but I'm getting fat. Cypro always makes me put on weight. I'm thinking about taking it every three days rather than continuously. Would that be okay?

retroactive

I took it daily for a month or two but now only rarely as needed. It has been useful. twice a week should be fine

redsun

My tinnitus has recently gotten worse. I've been taking cyproheptadine in an attempt to remedy it, and indeed it seems to have reduced the tinnitus somewhat, but I'm getting fat. Cypro always makes me put on weight. I'm thinking about taking it every three days rather than continuously. Would that be okay?

Better to just not take it and try zinc supplementation for tinnitus. If your zinc intake through diet is low then you should increase it anyway (15-20mg). Also if your diet is low in bioavailable calcium from dairy, this could also be increasing tinnitus. If not, also consider your daily choline intake. 600-800mg daily intake of choline intake is ideal. Acetylcholine is an important inhibitory neurotransmitter in the brain. It will help reduce excitability of your nerves. Zinc does the same but through other mechanisms as well.

Calcium if low can lead to too much sodium channel activity. This is how low calcium intake can increase tinnitus.

Last edited:
OP
W

worrywart

Better to just not take it and try zinc supplementation for tinnitus. If your zinc intake through diet is low then you should increase it anyway (15-20mg). Also if your diet is low in bioavailable calcium from dairy, this could also be increasing tinnitus. If not, also consider your daily choline intake. 600-800mg daily intake of choline intake is ideal. Acetylcholine is an important inhibitory neurotransmitter in the brain. It will help reduce excitability of your nerves. Zinc does the same but through other mechanisms as well.

Calcium if low can lead to too much sodium channel activity. This is how low calcium intake can increase tinnitus.

Interesting. I just drank two full glasses of milk and my mood has improved. The tinnitus seems a little milder too. And yeah I'll get a zinc supplement as well. Thank you.

redsun

Interesting. I just drank two full glasses of milk and my mood has improved. The tinnitus seems a little milder too. And yeah I'll get a zinc supplement as well. Thank you.
If you usually dont get much dairy then thats an indicator you need the calcium.

Beastmode

I had a small case of this 3-4 years ago and aspirin was the most helpful.

Getting the inflammation down was the big one for me. Once all irritating foods were eliminated for long enough, aspirin seemed to eliminate it.

InChristAlone

I took 0.5 mg for 1.5 yrs and got elevated liver enzymes. They came down when I stopped. Intermittent use should be fine but I do find it quite addicting as it gives great sleep and stress reduction.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals