Is Horseradish An Aromatase Inhibitor?

natedawggh

I have experienced a highly thermogenic effect consuming shrimp, but I also wanted to investigate the cocktail sauce I so liberally consumed them with. I read that horseradish is an aromatase inhibitor, but I can't find any studies or proof of action. Does anyone know about this? Has anyone used horseradish therapeutically?

No but that mayonnaise is promptly going to negate any effects :mrgreen:

BobbyDukes

Yeah, I was gonna say that I always avoid horseradish because of its rapeseed oil/mayonnaise content. That's not to say it isn't yummy with beef.

Dean

what about prepared horseradish? As far as I know it's just horseradish and vinegar.

OP
natedawggh

natedawggh

Such_Saturation said:

Yeah it's not creamed horseradish, which has mayonnaise. This one is made with olive oil... and you can buy it dried plain. I don't usually believe the stuff posted on Livestrong, but it lists horseradish as an aromatase inhibitor, and I've seen this stated elsewhere. And I did/do notice a thermogenic response when consuming it (again this is not a form with PUFAs in it...er, at least main sources of PUFAs)

http://www.livestrong.com/article/44562 ... aromatase/

tara

Horseradish is really easy to grow in the garden.
I have no idea about aromatase inhibition.
It's hot - so that might stimulate heat, like chilli does.

natedawggh said:
Such_Saturation said:

Yeah it's not creamed horseradish, which has mayonnaise. This one is made with olive oil... and you can buy it dried plain. I don't usually believe the stuff posted on Livestrong, but it lists horseradish as an aromatase inhibitor, and I've seen this stated elsewhere. And I did/do notice a thermogenic response when consuming it (again this is not a form with PUFAs in it...er, at least main sources of PUFAs)

http://www.livestrong.com/article/44562 ... aromatase/

But isn't cocktail sauce mayonnaise and ketchup?

Dean

I'm not aware of mayo being in traditional cocktail sauce. It's usually(mainly) ketchup and prepared horseradish. Maybe some prepared horseradishes have oil in them, but it's usually just grated horseradish, vinegar, and salt.

artemis

Never heard of cocktail sauce having mayonnaise in it. Heresy!

It's just ketchup and horseradish.

artemis said:
Never heard of cocktail sauce having mayonnaise in it. Heresy!

It's just ketchup and horseradish.

(In one country)

Dan W

Reviving an old thread for @natedawggh's new post on "horseradish peroxidase", which sounds made up but apparently isn't:
The Cure for Metabolic Disease

Makes me wonder if horseradish should join ginger in my collection of "tasty things I'm not sure are Peatey, but seem close enough."

Gl;itch.e

Reviving an old thread for @natedawggh's new post on "horseradish peroxidase", which sounds made up but apparently isn't:

Makes me wonder if horseradish should join ginger in my collection of "tasty things I'm not sure are Peatey, but seem close enough."
Well it is a root vegetable so I would assume its all good in peats world. Though it apparently is related to other vegetables that have known Goitrogens. But then again we aint eating the leaves here are we?

Xisca

Tarmander

This just in, oysters actually bad for you, tartar sauce elevated to Peat superfood.

tankasnowgod

I'm giving this a go, found some prepared horseradish at the grocery store (other ingredients were salt and vinegar, no oils). I mixed some with some sourcream for a creamy horseradish. Pretty damn tasty.