Is Having A Wife Peaty?

jahed

I don’t believe peat has a wife that would be kinda hypocritical. Peat has implied that marriage is a bad thing and he saysit comes from the property mentality. You perform a ceremony recognized by the state, get a certificate, wear rings that show that you “belong” to someone, that you’re spoken for, ....so unpeaty. And Like peat cares whether it’s “masculine” or “alpha” or not lol

I met his wife in Eugene last year actually, he brought her along to meet up with me for coffee at Barry's Espresso, probably cause he was meeting an internet stranger for the first time and wanted back up, lol.

But yeah this thread is hilariously farcical keep it up everyone

Mufasa

Dr. Peat directly addressed monogamy, that is a contractual lifelong sexual arrangement, as an extension of the property mentality. Here's the full quote.

Walden Pond: ...I'd be interested to find out what you think about monogamy in human relationships. Do you think, for example, that to commit to a theoretically life-long contract of sexual exclusivity is to stifle our true nature in a potentially harmful way? Monogamous, long-lasting relationships are generally held up as the model in this domain, with anything else usually considered as a failure or a perversity. Is it right that the sacrifices inherent in the commitment of monogamy should be held in such esteem?

Ray: I think it’s based on the property mentality

Historically, it is based on commitment so that a woman is not left alone to take care of the offspring.

DaveFoster

Historically, it is based on commitment so that a woman is not left alone to take care of the offspring.
In its most utilitarian form, marriage offers security. Traditionally, marriage secured dynastic wealth and power; it served as a vanguard for social stratification, where each class sought to preserve and strengthen its position in society. Even more anciently, in the hero tradition, and as echoed in the more modern incarnation of chivalric knights, romantic love represented a force for transformation. Only when faced with extreme adversity and near-death, did the knight purify himself and enter into the presence of a woman; such presence always mirrored an immortal state, which culminates in the creation of new life, both literally in the sense of a child, and also spiritually through rebirth into something greater.

In Parzival, Sir Gawain first endures his lover Orgeluse's insults, representative of the internal struggle, which culminates in her attempted murder of the Gawain. Orgeluse leads Gawain to his death in a tumultuous ford, but even after learning of the plot, Gawain voluntarily risks death and crosses the ford on his horse. He fails, but then he tries again. He succeeds and triumphs over Nature. He must then avenge the murder of Oregeluse's former suitor, and he again faces death, but this time he overcomes another champion much like himself. In the end, he marries Orgeluse; he enters into her presence after he conquers his trials.

In Dante's Inferno, Dante Cagliari travels through Hell and confronts each incarnation of his own sins along his way, such as representations of lust, greed, gluttony and so on. As he destroys the external manifestations of his own sins, he descends deeper into Hell. As he enters into Hell's lower levels, fire and intense heat burns the level's residents; fire here represents a force of purification, that which amplifies in intensity respective to increasingly egregious sins. In Hell's lower levels, filled with perpetrators of fraud and betrayal, fire (the potential for redemption) vanishes, replaced by darkness and then ice. Dante betrayed his oath to his lover, Bertrude, which means "shining light" (virtue). He cannot purify himself from his gravest sins through external means, and so he ventures further into the lowest level of Hell and faces Lucifer, which translates to "bringer of light," whose fallen nature similarly reflects Dante's fall away from the light (Bertrude). Dante kills Lucifer, and in doing so redeems himself; he reclaims his lost light, leaves the darkness of Hell and ascends into Paradise, where he reunites with the light (Bertrude).

The same kind of symbolism appears in The Illiad. After victory in battle, Achilles gains Briseïs as a prize. Briseïs can also be translated to Hippodamia, which means, "she who masters horses." Horses have always been associated with elemental forces, such as water. Remember that Sir Gawain tried to cross the ford on his horse, where he rides the horse over the water, or in other words, holds mastery over nature, which allows him to overcome it. The Greek god Poseidon holds dominion over the sea, earthquakes and horses, all symbolic of Nature's unrestrained power. Fathered by the hero Peleus, which translates to "muddy," and the sea nymph Thetis, Achilles embodies qualities from the fusion of earth and water, both elemental forces of Nature. Thetis desires Achilles ascension to Mount Olympus, a place elevated above the earth and sea, or in other words, a place above the elemental forces of Nature. Zeus rules Mount Olympus as the God of sky and thunder, representative of an elevation above the domains of Nature's forces. To immortalize the Achilles, Thetis dips him into the River Styx, which represents a purging of mortality through confrontation with death, where the River Styx contains the souls in Hades. In another version of the story, Thetis anoints Achilles in ambrosia, the "nectar of the gods," which represents a divine substance. Thetis then lights Achilles on fire. Like in Dante, fire again represents a force of purification, which burns away the shackles of mortality (sin). Achilles cannot finish the transformation, however; Thetis dips all of Achilles into the River Styx save for his heel, which represents some retention of mortality, specifically that endowed onto Achilles by his parent, the sea nymph (water). In the other version, Peleus prevents Thetis' purification of Achilles by fire; in this case the "muddy" earth obstructs Achilles obtainment of immortality.

When Achilles' king, Agamemnon steals Briseïs, Achilles loses his lover (wife) and withdraws from battle. He loses "she who masters horses," and cannot contain the unrestrained forces of Nature. He experiences wild emotion (rage) and refuses to fight for Agamemnon. In doing so, he loses his friend Patroclus, which translates into "glory." Without mastery over Nature, Achilles cannot obtain the glory of a legendary warrior. Only after Agamemnon returns Briseïs does Achilles return to the fight, but to keep her, he must conquer the greatest warrior alive: Hektor. Hektor translates to "restraint;" Achilles must overcome his emotions and channel his mastery over Nature against an opposing equal demarcated as a force of restraint. Achilles kills Hektor, and in doing so, he destroys his unrestrained self, gains the greatest glory, retains his lover Briseïs and descends into Elysium, the paradise of heroes.

I met his wife in Eugene last year actually, he brought her along to meet up with me for coffee at Barry's Espresso, probably cause he was meeting an internet stranger for the first time and wanted back up, lol.

I'm confused. Why does he attack marriage and yet has a wife? I suppose he doesn't like the idea behind it but finds out that he's monogamous anyways? The more I see of him the more absurd he gets.

TeaRex14

Don't carry the "is it Peat approved" logic too far, lol. Having a wife/girlfriend can be very therapeutic for various reasons. If for some reason the relationship with her turned out bad, don't blame the idea, but rather your selection skills. Some people are simply not meant to jibe well with other certain peoples. But in a healthy relationship having a wife can considerably increase dopamine levels.

HDD

The more I see of him the more absurd he gets.

I would guess that his reply concerning marriage is taken out of context. This is how rumors begin. If you find him absurd, then I think that you have not read or listened to him extensively.

LUH 3417

I'm confused. Why does he attack marriage and yet has a wife? I suppose he doesn't like the idea behind it but finds out that he's monogamous anyways? The more I see of him the more absurd he gets.
It depends on whether or not you believe that holding contradictory ideas at the same time is a sign of absurdity or intelligence

Stramonium

Bad relationships and big stressful families can contribute to the state of learned helplessness. Quality over quantity it's best when it comes to relationships, I'm a minimalist in that sense because people can be a total drag, nothing more stressful than the presence of someone you don't like. In the other hand if you are with someone that understands you, that gets your life style and diet choices it's a great way to grow and better yourselves

Last edited:
J

jb116

Marriage was the single worst mistake I ever made, it added phenomenal stress to my life which effected absolutely everything including my health (hence why I'm here). It turned my life upside down. Avoid marriage at all costs no matter what it's not worth the burden, the loss of time, the emotional bondage, baggage, and stress. I was not desperate for marriage or relationships and waited until I was around 30. I stupidly thought that if I pick the right person, work on improving myself, and work hard on it than everything would be okay and avoid the pitfalls...

You stand to lose everything and you won't gain one iota of happiness I promise you that.

If you can learn to be happy on your own no marriage/partner in the universe can add a drop to that happiness, but they stand to take a lot of it away. In the 21st century machines wash dishes/clothes, food is ready to order, and you can hire maids to come every now and then to clean the house with all the money you save being single. Forget marriage it will only make you more stressed, have less free time, less freedom, and be poorer. Only friends and family can you truly enjoy being around and then spend long periods of time on your own when you need it, whereas in marriage you are stuck with this person 24/7.

Just be yourself and play your video games and enjoy life and see your friends and family and work on your talents and passions and be free!
If I may, adjusting perspective on what you said, removes the inanimate thing as the detriment. So, if you say:
"Marriage to the wrong person was the single worst mistake I ever made..."
I think is a lot more accurate. Marriage isn't good or bad, it's the relationship itself.

LUH 3417

Can you elaborate?
I’ve come across texts that refer to higher level thinking as that which involves rules, and exceptions to the rule. The person adapts to or accepts the exceptions and makes room for alternatives to the rule when they themselves are capable of higher level thinking. In this situation, ray may be critical of the property mentality and how it influences Love relationships, but may subscribe to marriage in his own personal life because he sees the good in it and it works for his particular situation. So, to some he may be a hypocrite; to others he may be flexible and adaptable. I would say it depends how you look at it.

Alpha

Marriage works for some people. Most importantly, raising kids and doing couple stuff.

Mauritio

Weird question: How would you describe his wife?

schultz

You stand to lose everything and you won't gain one iota of happiness I promise you that.

I'm pretty happy. My wife gave birth to my children, the greatest gift. Nothing can replace them, and half of them comes from her. Also, when I am down or struggling with something in life, she is there to lift me back up. She is the only other person in the world who shares the memories of my children growing up. No one else understands your children like your partner.

Marriage works for some people. Most importantly, raising kids and doing couple stuff.

I love kids and doing couples stuff! Marriage IMO is mainly for having kids and raising them together.

I would guess that his reply concerning marriage is taken out of context. This is how rumors begin. If you find him absurd, then I think that you have not read or listened to him extensively.

Exactly.

tankasnowgod

Look, if Ray Peat can't stay in line with things that random people on the internet have attributed to him with absolutely no proof, he shouldn't have started this forum in the first place.

Peatogenic

Dr. Peat directly addressed monogamy, that is a contractual lifelong sexual arrangement, as an extension of the property mentality. Here's the full quote.

Walden Pond: ...I'd be interested to find out what you think about monogamy in human relationships. Do you think, for example, that to commit to a theoretically life-long contract of sexual exclusivity is to stifle our true nature in a potentially harmful way? Monogamous, long-lasting relationships are generally held up as the model in this domain, with anything else usually considered as a failure or a perversity. Is it right that the sacrifices inherent in the commitment of monogamy should be held in such esteem?

Ray: I think it’s based on the property mentality

As awkward as it is for me to admit it, I've been concluding the same. I've held such fear of getting with the wrong person or it not working out, but it feels kind of moot now....and it definitely is built on doctrines/Creeds/custom....when you think about it, it's kind of messed up to have a forever person....it seems that it would require a loss of autonomy on both parts. Now what a next-level partnership would look like is more difficult to grasp.

Peatogenic

Don't carry the "is it Peat approved" logic too far, lol. Having a wife/girlfriend can be very therapeutic for various reasons. If for some reason the relationship with her turned out bad, don't blame the idea, but rather your selection skills. Some people are simply not meant to jibe well with other certain peoples. But in a healthy relationship having a wife can considerably increase dopamine levels.

Selection skills mean nothing if I change over time or they change over time.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals