Is Having a Car So Much Better Than Having to Rely on Public Transportation?

DMF

I feel out of control of my time (and space) sometimes when I have to wait for the busses, especially when they're late, or just as worse, move slow because they're "ahead of schedule". I once lost it and hollered at the driver to get movin while I was late and frustrated- and the other passengers were shocked at my rudeness.
The subways get crowded, and can stink, and more than often, I just can't deal with having to sit next to strangers. They don't mind - with their faces in their phones.
As I stare out the window on the express route at all the nice expensive cars going fast, I wonder if the drivers really feel more in charge of their lives than passengers - better health, higher sense of "auto"nomy ? Of course there's stopping for gas - parking - vehicle stickers....

Herbie

Driving is stressful but any kind of commuting is. I found that having to be on time for the bus or train was stressful, Taxis are often unhygienic and bad drivers.

Cars are a depreciating asset and the second biggest investment someone makes, the tax is huge because of fuel tax, licensing, laws, insurance, parking expenses. Renting or owning a car space or garage is expensive overtime. Maintaining cars is bad because they have over 3000 parts which you don’t understand and are designed to wear out so you can pay for it, this is how the car industry makes money. It’s a major issue going forward with the electric cars because they don’t have the parts to fail.

Roads are cancer for society. The most expensive suburban realestate is valued on its distance from roads.

I love the idea of living close to work and shops and having electric bike, skate board and roller blades etc.

AlaskaJono

Yes I have a sense of auto nomy because I am a proud car owner. I can drive where I like when I like. I really do not know about better health because of it, but independence yes. Except like last year when I dumped way too much money into my kaput car with another engine, then that one went bust then another engine... then sold it for peanuts to an enthusiast.... . :): Car was not fixed properly by the retired mechanic who sold it to me. 'Nuf said. So I bought my neighbour's mother's car, who bought it from new, always maintained but not too new looking old subaru for under $1000. Had to put in another 1000 and that's it so far this year. Simple car. I live rurally usually so no vehicle is not an option.

If you live in a city it is an extra expense on top and a hassle as they do need maintenance and/or break down, but it depends on how much you use it. And do you want to take drives to the sea or the mountains or the desert? Maybe go camping? When our 'old' car broke down and I sold it, I deliberately waited a while and then when I spoke with my neighbour and he told me of this car, I checked it out and bought it. That one month I bought groceries and hiked up the hill where we were living then every few days. Gets one strong and fit!

*Side Note: This also will get you away from peeps 'auras' and shedding and perfumery smells that you would encounter on public transport. It can be a money pit but it is worth it for me. (It is nothing compared to a boat mate!). Good luck any way you go.

Perry Staltic

Cars are a depreciating asset and the second biggest investment someone makes, the tax is huge because of fuel tax, licensing, laws, insurance, parking expenses. Renting or owning a car space or garage is expensive overtime. Maintaining cars is bad because they have over 3000 parts which you don’t understand and are designed to wear out so you can pay for it, this is how the car industry makes money. It’s a major issue going forward with the electric cars because they don’t have the parts to fail.

Yeah, but convenience isn't free. I'm willing to pay that cost. Electric cars are a hassle and nowhere near as convenient

Madlash

The sense of autonomy is very real. I can turn my music up, smoke a cigar, drink a coke or a coffee, and zoom down the road with the windows open. It's liberating and good for my mental health when I'm feeling cooped up or like I haven't been anywhere in a few days. On the other hand, commuting through traffic feels the exact opposite - not many things feel more frustrating than being stuck in traffic when you have somewhere to be.

Herbie

Yeah, but convenience isn't free. I'm willing to pay that cost. Electric cars are a hassle and nowhere near as convenient
Yeah cars to me are freedom and independence, that’s what it’s all about.

Yeah if only they could be charged in 5 mins and go for 500 miles and cost $5.

Remember that America was designed in a way that people need cars otherwise life would be inconvenient and why JD Rockefeller was extremely wealthy.

Nicky

An electric scooter could be the answer. I had one for awhile, then gave it away, it was getting old like me.
Cheap to charge, got it up 45 miles per hr, if you live in a mild warm climate could use all year.

NK

Perry Staltic

Yeah cars to me are freedom and independence, that’s what it’s all about.

Remember that America was designed in a way that people need cars otherwise life would be inconvenient and why JD Rockefeller was extremely wealthy.

I'm glad people have gotten wealthy making life convenient for everyone else. That's the way it should work and they deserve it. Corruption is a totally different issue.

Perry Staltic

If I could get an electric car that could charge in 5 mins and go 500 miles for the same cost as a gas car (lifetime ownership, not just initial cost) I might buy it. Even then they would be more of a hassle.

nomoreketones

Ideally, there should be an excellent public transportation system in every city and people should not have to own a car unless they want to. In the United States, suburban sprawl has taken over and most people need a car to function in society.

If you live in a city with good public transit you can get a Zipcar subscription or rent a car whenever you want to go out of town. Or just fly where you want to go and rent a car there.

Herbie

I'm glad people have gotten wealthy making life convenient for everyone else. That's the way it should work and they deserve it. Corruption is a totally different issue.
The entire automotive and oil industry is corruption.

For example, I lived in a small city, Adelaide, Australia. What the government did was let all these poor English people move there with no jobs, they built government housing for them to rent and funded an Australian car factory owned by General Motors and removed 9 tram lines so people had to buy the cars that were being built.

Now the car factory is gone, the brand gone because of globalisation and the place is called the Detroit of Australia which is full of crack heads, the entire economy of the area where the factory was is based on illicit drugs. I know this from being a taxi driver as there was no public transportation, so it was lucrative as a taxi driver at the time. My real job and career is a car mechanic.

Here is a video backing up what I’m saying.
View: https://youtu.be/oOttvpjJvAo

Last edited:

Perry Staltic

The entire automotive and oil industry is corruption.

Every industry is corrupted to some degree. Wherever there is money there is going to be corruption. If you think horse and buggy days, which is where you would be without oil, were corrupt too.

Michael Mohn

I earn twice as much in my current job doing half the work compared to the former job. Without a car it would be impossible to get to work. I could live in the car if it had heating for winter and a bathroom accessible. I spent my pause and some of my working hours in the warm car while my colleagues spent their pause in an unheated shed. (Now they got a company van). You have much more opportunities with a car and in the end earning more, living in a better place, going to the places I really want to go I move and roam much less around. I wasted a lot of opportunities in my teens and early tweens by stupidly rejecting a car and going only by bike or public transport. Even better by driving a car you save the biosphere from carbon depletion. CO2 levels went from 5% down to 0.04%. Under 0.02% plant life will cease to exist. Ideal CO2 levels for plant growth is >1%. So do your part to save the world.

Last edited:
A car is a must have for the serious Peater. I don't know about you, bit I find it very embarrassing to buy so much milk, so I get it from numerous supermarkets. With a car it is just about doable. Without, is a very different matter...

SOMO

I love driving and consider myself a good and safe driver.

I got my license really late in life because of anxiety/procrastination/high-serotonin induced lack of motivation.

I love driving from NYC to PA, beautiful countryside, trees and mountains.
My father drove my family from NYC to Florida and it was a hard journey in terms of length - you have to divide the trip into 2 hours rides - stopping halfway in South Caroline (love Myrtle Beach, would love to live there one day.)

Also I have so many doctor's appointments nowadays that getting to them without a car is simply too difficult.

Back
Top Bottom