Is Gluten The Cause

tigerlily96

The Chiropractic Method: Going Gluten Free - The Trouble with Gluten

I have been on a merry go round for years with my health, the usual high fat, low fat, low carb, high carb. Nothing changes my constipation, energy levels, lack of concentration and my main concern -hair fall/alopecia. I've dabbled with gluten free over the years, who hasn't.. But reading this post I do wonder if this is the cause of my family's autoimmune problems? We don't eat pufa, we don't eat gluten daily but we still eat it now and again, couple of times a week, it is everywhere...sigh

Before I read this I had decided I had an amine/salicylate/oxalate problem, maybe mast cell activation problem but who knows...

Blossom

Forum Supporter
When asked if everyone should avoid gluten Ray answered yes.

It does seem like some people are more sensitive to gluten than others but imo if you and your family are having issues it probably wouldn't hurt to try completely gluten free diet to see if it makes a difference.

OP
tigerlily96

tigerlily96

When asked if everyone should avoid gluten Ray answered yes.

It does seem like some people are more sensitive to gluten than others but imo if you and your family are having issues it probably wouldn't hurt to try completely gluten free diet to see if it makes a difference.
Yes Indeed. It certainly makes my hair fall

johnwester130

I didn't know that, I knew sourdough was better but never heard that, interesting!

if you simply want that starchy crunch taste, get jackson's honest chips

or buy oat crackers by Nairn's and re-fry them in coconut oil,

or masa harina made into gorditas, or sopes

there's no reason to turn to bread.

aliciahere

If you or your family already have a history of autoimmune conditions, the likelihood of gluten causing you issues is very high. Before removing gluten from your diet you should at least get the blood work done to check for celiac. You need to be eating the equivalent of two slices of bread per day for about 6 weeks. There is a huge difference between going gluten free as a choice because you think it's causing issues, and going gluten free because you are celiac.

OP
tigerlily96

tigerlily96

if you simply want that starchy crunch taste, get jackson's honest chips

or buy oat crackers by Nairn's and re-fry them in coconut oil,

or masa harina made into gorditas, or sopes

there's no reason to turn to bread.
Wish we had those crisp in the UK ☹️

OP
tigerlily96

tigerlily96

If you or your family already have a history of autoimmune conditions, the likelihood of gluten causing you issues is very high. Before removing gluten from your diet you should at least get the blood work done to check for celiac. You need to be eating the equivalent of two slices of bread per day for about 6 weeks. There is a huge difference between going gluten free as a choice because you think it's causing issues, and going gluten free because you are celiac.
They said endoscopy and colonoscopy no problems. I can feel the inflammation in my head after gluten, but not just gluten..

Queequeg

They said endoscopy and colonoscopy no problems. I can feel the inflammation in my head after gluten, but not just gluten..

Did they give you a blood test? You may still have elevated gluten anti-bodies or Gluten sensitivity. It is less serious than Celiac Disease but it is still important to avoid Gluten.

I was listening to a podcast with a celiac expert and he mentioned that if you do have Gluten sensitivity, every time you eat gluten the impact can last for months. So if you have issues with it your better off avoiding it completely.

Last edited:

Mr Rossi

watch this:

My girlfriend had a very high zonulin value. High Zonulin = leaky gut.
After eliminating "all" gluten for 3 months the zonulin is in the normal range now.

Last edited:
J

James IV

If you go sourdough, make sure it doesn't have yeast. If yeast is added, it's not traditionally prepared by slow fermentation, which is what breaks down the proteins (gluten).

I don't think gluten is the only issue with wheat products in the US. I've heard far too many people tell me how they can eat piles of gluten when they travel, with no issue, and then immediately get sick again when they eat gluten upon returning home to the states.

Agent207

I agree too with gluten per se not being a mayor issue for most people (exceptions on allergy or celiac).

The mayor problem is modern wheat, industrialized flours (not to mention those iron and folic acid fortified ones) and sinthetic yeasts (some containing aluminium).

Look for stone milled flours, grains like rye, spelt, einkorn... and sourdough fermented, and you'll have a great food to enjoy from time to time.

Last edited:

Queequeg

watch this:

My girlfriend had a very high zonulin value. High Zonulin = leaky gut.
After eliminating "all" gluten for 3 months the zonulin is in the normal range now.
Excellent video.:+1

Queequeg

I noticed this study in the youtube comments for above
Effect of gliadin on permeability of intestinal biopsy explants from celiac disease patients and patients with non-celiac gluten sensitivity. - PubMed - NCBI
BACKGROUND: Intestinal exposure to gliadin leads to zonulin upregulation and consequent disassembly of intercellular tight junctions and increased intestinal permeability. We aimed to study response to gliadin exposure, in terms of barrier function and cytokine secretion, using intestinal biopsies obtained from four groups: celiac patients with active disease (ACD), celiac patients in remission (RCD), non-celiac patients with gluten sensitivity (GS) and non-celiac controls (NC).

CONCLUSIONS: Increased intestinal permeability after gliadin exposure occurs in all individuals. Following gliadin exposure, both patients with gluten sensitivity and those with active celiac disease demonstrate a greater increase in intestinal permeability than celiacs in disease remission. A higher concentration of IL-10 was measured in the media exposed to control explants compared to celiac disease in remission or gluten sensitivity.
:rightagain

Mr Rossi

I agree too with gluten per se not being a mayor issue for most people (exceptions on allergy or celiac).

Watch the movie with Tom O Bryan.
If I remember correctly, he said the following: Every human being develops a leaky gut by gluten. Sooner or later.

Zonulin and Its Regulation of Intestinal Barrier Function:
The Biological Door to Inflammation, Autoimmunity, and Cancer
ALESSIO FASANO
http://physrev.physiology.org/content/physrev/91/1/151.full.pdf

Dr. Fasano on Leaky Gut Syndrome and Gluten Sensitivity | Gluten-Free Society

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals