Is Fiber Really All That Bad?

EIRE24

Vegetable fiber is in gel form...? Most vegetables even well cooked give me constipation, because they feed bacteria even low fodmap vegetables. I find only cucumbers safe. Psyllium husk don't feed bacteria. Carrot is also good but doesn't work for constipation like gel from psyllium for me. Sibo is due to low metabolism, low stomach acid, lack of bile. It's systemic. You can't treat SIBO be just taking some pills or what.
Ah, I think I could be in the same boat. Increasing metabolism is the way to go then. You could take stuff to help the food digest quicker and also something to help increase bile output?

YuraCZ

Ah, I think I could be in the same boat. Increasing metabolism is the way to go then. You could take stuff to help the food digest quicker and also something to help increase bile output?
With weak digestion and sibo is essential to eat only easy to digest foods and non problematic types of foods(low in fodmap). So for example cheese is low fodmap, but harder to digest(caseine) then soft boiled egg or gelatin for example. Watermelon is easy to digest, but is high in fodmap... Also size of the meal play big role. Small amount of starch can be ok, but big portion can travel undigested - food for bacteria in small intestine.. Like I said. Healing metabolism, hypothyroidism or high estrogen, sluggish liver/gallbladder etc.. its not that simple. There is no one single pill for all of this, like you think and again like I said. The stress of any kind will shut down digestion or makes your gut leaky.. No matter what you do or what you taking..

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Ray Peat talks about the benefit of eating raw carrots and bamboo shoots, as unlike other foods with soluble fiber, these have some anti-bacterial effect and so would not encourage bacterial growth in the intestine.

Are there other fibrous foods that would have the same beneficial effect? How about mature coconut meat? Mature coconut meat contains coconut oil, and as such is also anti-bacterial. Would this be a good fibrous food?
I finally realized that coconut meat isn't advisable. Unlike carrot, coconut meat easily spoils and easily attracts fungus.

I was hooked for years on psyllium. I think it's carcinogenic a bit and not healthy. I got off of it with carrot fiber once a day and eating ripe fruit for fiber. It has worked very well.
I used to wake up every day and sneeze, sneeze sneeze. Now I do occasionally but usually I don't sneeze at all anymore. I think this is evidence that my gut is heealing.

TMI warning: I no longer soil toilet paper and my udnerwear is always clean looking. Another good sign.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Before this thread, I ate pineapple after every meal. It has bromelain, and aids in the digestion of protein. And another thing going for it then, was that it has plenty of fiber. But after I stopped eating pineapple, I didn't see a change in my bowel movement. And I noticed something else, my bowels lost the effect it had on my olfactory nerves. The downside was that I would find myself forgetting to flush.:D

lvysaur

I finally realized that coconut meat isn't advisable. Unlike carrot, coconut meat easily spoils and easily attracts fungus.

I suspect that coconut fiber is similar to carrot fiber, but without the antibacterial compounds that the carrot produces. They both have the same "hard to swallow" property about them.

I don't think that the carrot fiber itself has any antibacterial properties. After eating a special variety of carrot (yellow rainbow variety), I experienced very noticeable gas shortly afterward. I think it's possible that this variety of carrot produces few or none of the antibiotic compounds that the traditional orange carrot does.

Tenacity

I think coconut fibre is probably similar to carrot fibre too. The husk of a coconut seems to have a similar texture in the mouth as a carrot.

I've been eating coconut meat for about a week now without issue, only benefits.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

I think coconut fibre is probably similar to carrot fibre too. The husk of a coconut seems to have a similar texture in the mouth as a carrot.

I've been eating coconut meat for about a week now without issue, only benefits.
That's good to know. I was just listening to a KMUD Peat Interview on Endotoxins, and Ray mentioned having butter with potatoes is a good thing because the presence of saturated fats helps to overcome the fiber content in potato, in reducing production of endotoxins. If coconut meat contains coconut oil, an argument can be made that the oil would have a similar effect as what butter had on potato fibers in relation to endotoxins.

Well and good, perhaps I can resume making my fruit shakes with grated coconut fiber, and have the benefit of truly virgin coconut oil, and have fiber that won't produce endotoxins. If my bowels don't start to smell bad, that would be a good sign.

X3CyO

It seems that eating a diet that is within the same ratio as fruit leads to the best results personally. fiber is a hit and miss: modest amounts to no fiber is good, no fiber equals reduced gut irritation and thus serotonin in a compromised gut, but also reduced estrogen, and vice versa for fiber free diets.

From what I've read and heard from peat, he seems to be on the wall, with primarily the idea that too much is more harmful than too little.

Parsifal

Why would you want to only eat non-soluble fibers that cannot be digested by bacteria? The problem is not fiber, it's dysbiosis. If your gut flora is not diverse and balanced, it seems likely that we will have problems because you will feed the bacteria that are the most prevalent in your gut. If you have good gut flora, eating fibers will feed several bacteria that will keep their homeostasis and balance and it will keep the flora diverse. Wanting to be sterile is useless: Germ-free Animals Have Autistic Like Behaviors And No Resistance To Stress

Some interesting articles (excellent website):
Probiotics could help combat small intestinal bacterial overgrowth in patients with gastrointestinal cancer - Gut Microbiota for Health
Human study shows flaxseed fibres modulation
Refractory Crohn's disease with fecal microbiota transplantation
Diets high in fruit/legume fibre are associated with increased microbial diversity - Gut Microbiota for Health
Low FODMAP diet can decrease abdominal pain in children

I don't think that eating fat with potatoes would be that good, fat is shown to increase LPS (endotoxin) absorptions as tyw explained it on this forum.

X3CyO

It seems that eating a diet that is within the same ratio as fruit leads to the best results personally. fiber is a hit and miss: modest amounts to no fiber is good, no fiber equals reduced gut irritation and thus serotonin in a compromised gut, but increased estrogen, and vice versa for fiber filled diets.

From what I've read and heard from peat, he seems to be on the wall, with primarily the idea that too much is more harmful than too little.
*correction

I don't think that eating fat with potatoes would be that good, fat is shown to increase LPS (endotoxin) absorptions as tyw explained it on this forum.
This has been my experience. Plain potatoes digest really well, whereas taters with CO tend to make me a bit bloated and gassy.

PeatThemAll

Anybody here tried vegetable juicing? Looks like you keep most of the good stuff, and practically none of the (insoluble) fiber.

Anybody here tried vegetable juicing? Looks like you keep most of the good stuff, and practically none of the (insoluble) fiber.

It depends on which vegetable. Certain raw veggie juice is goitrogenic. Which is why I only eat cooked greens or cooked green juice. I sometimes juice a lot of kale and then put the juice in a potato soup to concentrate the kales nutrients. But the cooked fiber of some and the raw fiber of some like carrots may have different effects. Veggie juice like raw celery juice is a good source of sodium and possibly undiscovered nutrients.

amethyst

How would psyllium husk work different to the fiber in vegetables? Have you tried anything to get rid of the sibo?
Sulfur. Organic sulfur crystals got rid of my SIBO. Really works.

On the subject of fiber there is a book called " Fiber Menace" by Konstantin Monastyrsky. He has a website. From the book's cover " The truth about fiber's role in diet failure, constipation, hemorrhoids, irritable bowel syndrome, ulcerative colitis, crohn's disease, and colon cancer'." Interesting book. Pretty much echos a lot of sentiments here.

On the subject of fiber there is a book called " Fiber Menace" by Konstantin Monastyrsky. He has a website. From the book's cover " The truth about fiber's role in diet failure, constipation, hemorrhoids, irritable bowel syndrome, ulcerative colitis, crohn's disease, and colon cancer'." Interesting book. Pretty much echos a lot of sentiments here.

I think that book is wrong. As someone who was challenging the author in the reviews said:

"And what do you advise in regards to this nutrient deficiency if one follows your low-fiber diet? - More supplements! More supplements - that are more processed and more concentrated than any of the foods you complain about. Quote:

"Take quality supplements to augment the essential vitamins, minerals, and micro elements lacking in the low-carb diet you've adopted."

I listend to the author in a podcast and he's wrong about many things.

Pretty much echos a lot of sentiments here.

Not really. Peat likes tropical fruit fiber, raw carrot fiber, cooked bamboo shoot fiber, cooked mushroom fiber, and he sometimes eats cooked small turnip fiber. He doesn't eat cooked greens fiber but has recommended cooked greens for people in emails.

amethyst

I think that book is wrong. As someone who was challenging the author in the reviews said:

"And what do you advise in regards to this nutrient deficiency if one follows your low-fiber diet? - More supplements! More supplements - that are more processed and more concentrated than any of the foods you complain about. Quote:

"Take quality supplements to augment the essential vitamins, minerals, and micro elements lacking in the low-carb diet you've adopted."

I listend to the author in a podcast and he's wrong about many things.

Not really. Peat likes tropical fruit fiber, raw carrot fiber, cooked bamboo shoot fiber, cooked mushroom fiber, and he sometimes eats cooked small turnip fiber. He doesn't eat cooked greens fiber but has recommended cooked greens for people in emails.
No, by "echo" I meant what others in the thread were saying about their problems with fiber, not Peat. I am aware Peat endorses carrot, bamboo etc. I eat a lot of fruit. And some carrots. Fruit and carrots are good.. But for some, actually for a lot of people, certain types of fiber, ARE a menace and has caused a lot of damage to people's intestines. Psyllium husks have sent a lot of people to the hospital with intestinal blockages, especially when they don't drink enough water with it, so I agree with the author on that.

EIRE24

Where did you get access to these? How did you take them? Did it take long to get rid of it?

amethyst

Where did you get access to these? How did you take them? Did it take long to get rid of it?
Well, if you are asking about the sulfur, I use this:

Buy Organic Sulfur Minerals (MSM) | Mountain Well Being

I use the organic sulfur crystals that you mix in water. Sweeten it with something though, as the taste is not that great.

The Importance of Organic Sulfur | Mountain Well-Being

It took really, only a couple of weeks. This stuff is powerful so start with a lower dosage and build up. And drink a LOT of water because sulfur get into every cell in your body. If you read the article sulfur cures so many things. I always go back to it when I feel like my digestion is getting out of whack. It cleanses your whole system.

Last edited:

EIRE24

Well, if you are asking about the sulfur, I use this:

Buy Organic Sulfur Minerals (MSM) | Mountain Well Being

I use the organic sulfur crystals that you mix in water. Sweeten it with something though, as the taste is not that great.

The Importance of Organic Sulfur | Mountain Well-Being

It took really, only a couple of weeks. This stuff is powerful so start with a lower dosage and build up. And drink a LOT of water because sulfur get into every cell in your body. If you read the article sulfur cures so many things. I always go back to it when I feel like my digestion is getting out of whack. It cleanses your whole system.
I'm going to give this a go for sure. I'm 100% certain it was some nasties from gelatin that caused my problem in my gut I'm hoping this will get rid of it. I wonder would this be as good as an antibiotic or am I better off just getting an antibiotic?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals