Is Epilepsy Inherited Or Brought About By Drug Use/Abuse?

DMF

Someone I know who smoked a lot of pot for years/decades and on/off on again/off again SSRI's has now a problem with periodic seizures. She looses memory but it comes back, with some other symptoms as well.
There is no epilepsy in her family or any relatives ever.
I want her to stop her current medicine for seizures as well as commit to stop with all the other crap she's doing to herself and get healthy - gelatin, healthy foods, lifestyle.
All websites I've looked up talk about how drugs can provoke a seizure for I guess someone with an official diagnosis - but not clear about the origins - chicken/egg thing here...??

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
D

DMF

So then it's symptoms - reguardless of causes/origins.
O.K.
Next question: Can medicines to control further seizures become addictive - if one is on them for awhile, are they hard to get off - like SSRI's or Benzos?
(I don't know what they're precribed)
Also, I meant to say that there is no epilepsy in HER family/relatives

Frankdee20

So then it's symptoms - reguardless of causes/origins.
O.K.
Next question: Can medicines to control further seizures become addictive - if one is on them for awhile, are they hard to get off - like SSRI's or Benzos?
(I don't know what they're precribed)
Also, I meant to say that there is no epilepsy in HER family/relatives

The typical anticonvulsants like Valproate, Topamax, Tegretol, are not addictive in the same way as Benzodiazepines... But I’m sure there’s a higher chance of rebound seizures if you just stop.... They work on sodium channels, but indirectly increase GABA ...

S-VV

Is say all inhibitory CNS drugs are to some extent habit forming

Barbiturates > NMDA antagonists> Benzos > Gaba reuptake inhibitors > Gabapentinoids > Na+ blockers > Ca2+ blockers