Is Enough Emphasis Placed On Healthy Animal Products?

bistecca

I know peat emphasizes the importance of animal foods, and he also makes clear the distinction between an animal being fed a natural diet and a modern industrial diet.. I feel like this is hard to appreciate and there is a lot of gimmicky advertising and manipulation. It can be really hard, in my experience, to get real high quality animal products in my area(mid atlantic US). I've worked on a farm that raises 100% grass fed cattle and pastured poultry, and i patronize the local farms. I've worked in butcheries and restaurants and gotten my hands on a variety of products that covers the whole spectrum. The differences in not just taste, but how I feel after eating a high quality product is profound. Even though I only support farms that feed only grass to cattle, the quality is still inconsistent. I think the quality of the forage and the percentage of hay vs fresh feed makes a big difference, but it's really hard to monitor that stuff and spot correlations. Typically the higher quality beef will have darker, dryer muscle meat, and fat with a golden amber hue, which i've read is an indicator of fat soluble vitamin density-- carotenes, retinol, tocopherols, K family vitamins. I can't help but think that there are other pro-metabolic compounds in animals that live on the highest quality forage, compounds we've yet to identify. It makes me think that the peatforum's borderline obsession with supplements might be energy better spent on devising a set of agricultural protocols that creates the animal products with the greatest density or optimal levels of the peat-favored pro-metabolic vitamins..

https://i.imgur.com/7wrP4fj.jpg

pic: its a 100%grass fed ribeye from a farm near me.

Tenacity

I used to buy New Zealand lamb liver from the supermarket (I live in the UK). It's frozen and then dethawed when it arrives here. That particular type of liver had an offputting smell when cooking and an intensely disgusting taste. To even tolerate eating it I had to chase it with milk. I got so fed up with it that I stopped eating liver altogether.

Then, just recently, I figured that perhaps the issue wasn't with liver as a food item but perhaps the quality of that particular liver. It wasn't fresh and it did come from overseas, after all. I hadn't eaten any liver for months at this point. I decided to buy fresh British lamb liver from the butcher's counter at the same store. The difference was astonishing to me. It had a very noticeably different appearance when cooking, exhibited no offputting smell (indeed, my mother who always complained about the smell of liver when I cooked it remarked it smelled like steak), and best of all it didn't make me wretch when I tried to eat it without any liquid. Yesterday I finished an entire 30g portion without liquid, which would have been unthinkable to me last year. Easily one of the best food-related decisions I have made so far. I suspect the nutritional profile is better, but I've yet to experience any health benefits being only two days in.

I think food quality is and continues to be a major issue. I think where it can be afforded the highest quality should be selected.

OP
bistecca

bistecca

I decided to buy fresh British lamb liver from the butcher's counter at the same store. The difference was astonishing to me. It had a very noticeably different appearance when cooking, exhibited no offputting smell (indeed, my mother who always complained about the smell of liver when I cooked it remarked it smelled like steak), and best of all it didn't make me wretch when I tried to eat it without any liquid.

I've experienced the same thing, and it even varies between different animals at the same farm.. I can buy beef liver from the farm and get the wretched flavors you've described, then come back a month later and the liver has, like you mentioned, all the traits of a normal cut of steak. It's baffling.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals