Is Eating a Peat Diet Instinctual?

narouz

I wanted to explore this topic.
Some here believe that Peat foods are really the most delicious foods
and that we instinctually recognize that.

So we instinctually will know:

Avocado--yuck
Bacon--yuck
Crispy roasted chicken skin--yuck

Orange juice--yum
Gelatin--yum
Milk--yum

What do you think?
Is this true?

J

j.

I think the word "instinctual" only makes sense in the context of a natural environment. Wheat in nature is not a food, the amount of processing it requires indicates that wheat flour is not natural. Most cooking oils, if not all, aren't natural. So to test whether eating Peat foods is instinctual, you need to put a baby to grow up in an environment free of flour and cooking oils. Maybe in that environment he'll naturally prefer beef fat over chicken fat, but I guess we can't know before making the experiment.

gabriel79

Well... Gelatin couldn't be instinctual because it's a processed isolated food. But if you say a salty well cooked oxtail, definitely yummy. Milk is probably one of the most appetizing food that needs no preparation at all, along with fruit.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I LOVE milk. Add a little sugar to it, OMG! :dance

chris

While I really like chicken and bacon they have not been difficult to drop. The Peat way of eating is very unrestricted in a sense, I think all the milk and sugar makes me forget about the chicken and bacon.

OP
N

narouz

So j.-
Are you saying something like this:

Living in the modern world
we have been disconnected from our instinctual appetites.
We have been raised on foods that are not "natural"
like wheat and seed oils
and...
(this is where I get a little lost)
...so we "think" we like stuff like pizza and bagels and bacon fat,
but really we do not?
We have been brainwashed to think we like those foods?
Or perhaps we have just been habituated to them and so we imagine that we enjoy them...?
Because our instinct has been disconnected, bypassed, perverted?

Well...what about avocados?
They're "natural"?
I like them.
Well...I used to.

Or what about walnuts?
They fall naturally from trees--nature's bounty!
Crack 'em open and eat 'em.
They taste good...don't they?

Or salmon:
Naturally swimming in nature's oceans and rivers.
Kill 'em and bake 'em and serve with a crusty white flour french bread.
Tastes yummy.
No?

gabriel79

Also, the bacon and the chicken skin wouldn't be the most un-Peaty food, in fact. Especially if they were raised naturally. They're very gelatin rich cuts.
Avocado I've only had it a couple of times in my life and never understood why it's so popular.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Good point on the bacon and chicken!

Yeh, never could really enjoy an avocado but I did eat them because they were healthy of course!

chris

Charlie said:
Yeh, never could really enjoy an avocado but I did eat them because they were healthy of course!

Hah, spot on, exactly my experience.

OP
N

narouz

gabriel79 said:
Also, the bacon and the chicken skin wouldn't be the most un-Peaty food, in fact. Especially if they were raised naturally. They're very gelatin rich cuts.
Avocado I've only had it a couple of times in my life and never understood why it's so popular.

Nobody here is gonna speak up for the deliciousness of avocado!?
Does nobody acknowledge the deliciousness of a well-made guacamole
delivered in a big dollop atop a crispy corn chip fried in PUFA-rich peanut oil?

Now: on the chicken skin.
My question was not:
would you find a Perfectly Peat raised chicken's crisply roasted skin delicious?
My question was:
would you find an Purely PUFA raised chicken's crisply roasted skin delicious?

(I submit, if you're honest, you will say BOTH. ;)

J

j.

narouz, what I have in mind is a personal experience. After avoiding say, grains for very long, I need to develop a tolerance to be able to eat a bunch again and like it. So my hypothesis is that if we weren't used to eating a lot of PUFAs from a young age, whose main source is vegetable oils, we might have sort of a natural reaction against PUFA in chicken, but not the fat in beef.

You say

Or perhaps we have just been habituated to them and so we imagine that we enjoy them...?

No, we don't imagine that we enjoy it, we DO enjoy it, BECAUSE we have been habituated to them, but (maybe) we wouldn't have been habituated to PUFA in a more natural environment, because there is a lot less of it.

J

j.

narouz said:
Or what about walnuts?
They fall naturally from trees--nature's bounty!
Crack 'em open and eat 'em.
They taste good...don't they?

I don't remember which traditional culture which ate nuts, maybe almonds, only did it after a lot of processing (soaking for a long time, etc.), so maybe they did the processing because instinctively eating them didn't feel right. Maybe if they had a greater variety of foods available, they wouldn't go through the trouble of processing them.

gabriel79

Narouz... Jeje if you put it that way, yes, I'd find both delicious, but maybe it's because I've grown used to the pufa raised chicken.
On guacamole. Consider I first tasted that sauce (and raw avocado) at my mid/late twenties, and I didn't find it tasty at all. Tasted it again a couple of years later with the same result. So, for me, avocados is a big no. Maybe if I had eaten it as a child it would be a different story.

OP
N

narouz

I'm gonna have to administer some truth serum to you guys! :x

Alright:
Pizza.
Nobody loved it?
Let me anticipate:
I suppose you'll say you prefer the taste of just the toppings
and would gladly dispose of the crispy crust.

Bagel:
Never enjoyed them for breakfast?
Perhaps with a generous crusting of sesame seeds
chock-full of SEED OIL?

Salmon?
Y'all've been dancing around that one I notice. :)
Never like that either I suppose?
With it's succulent slathering of Natural Omega Fat?

Mind Experiment:
You are served two steaks, fillet mignon, both grilled to perfection.
Will you instinctually be able to know which is the grass-fed and which the purely grain-fed?
And will you prefer the taste of the grass-fed?

Will any of you confess that you enjoyed
a piece of toasted whole wheat bread topped with sesame tahini?
Or perhaps topped with peanut butter?

Don't make me inject you with that Truth Serum! :lol:

chris

Love pizza. Hate bagels, salmon. Wouldn't be able to tell between the steaks. Don't like sesame, or peanut butter.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Same here, give me chicken all day long.

Avocados and guacamole, nah. But like gabriel, I didnt really try those till I was an adult. :confused

No, I really love me some papa johns or pizza hut pizza, for the crust. :(

Salmon, nope, dont like it.

Bagel, nope, never.

I will prefer the taste of grass fed, grain fed tastes like crap now. I prefer the taste of blood, real meat, not corn meat thank you.

Honestly, I think, or instincts are shot. Between TV, schooling, not living off the land anymore. Our ancestor instincts are long gone. Counting on .gov to make sure if everything is OK. :baaaaaaa

OP
N

narouz

Chris, you are free to leave the interrogation room. :D
The rest of you...
Roll up your sleeves!

J

j.

The first time I remember eating salmon was like 3 years ago when someone told me it was a health food. The fact that I don't remember eating it before I think means it wasn't special.

I liked chicken, sure, but I don't think I can demand that my "instinct" serve me correctly in an environment for which it didn't develop, i.e., an environment where a significant amount of fat comes from PUFA-rich oils.

OP
N

narouz

Charlie-
You claim to be an ex-Californian,
and you don't like avocados or guacamole!? :eek:
Holy Moly!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
The other green stuff was my favorite. :mrgreen: