Is Eating a Peat Diet Instinctual?

Dutchie

uuy8778yyi said:
Yes.

people who experiment with all the diets,

end at the ray peat diet. This is what I believe.

I have never wanted
walnut pate, avocados, sprout salad, spirulina smoothie, and sprout juice.
living on red meat, almond flour and boiled broccoli (paleo diet) , no thank you

You refer to the meat,almond flour and broccoli as Paleo,but if you actually look at the foods within the Peat-scene you could classify those as Paleo as well. Primal if you also eat dairy.
Peatarians love to bash Paleo and how Paleo failed them myself included in the past,but I'm now slowly starting to see that it was my fault and not necessarily the Paleo/Primal palatte of food options. The Peat approved foods can be fitted in the category of Paleo/Primal as well,it was just that I didn't view them as an option bc I let myself be brainwashed by various 'scenes'.
It's about being able to learn what foods works for you and that is a hard thing to do and let go of some of the ideas&biases with all the contrasting nutritional advocates (Peat included) out there.

Nope - reading this much before you eat is not instinctual. The peat diet could be made to be more instinctual, but it currently does not read like it. In order to do that, we would need to formulate an experiential heuristic. Instincts work from experience, not knowledge. I think doing so could be very useful to lots of people - but it would be simplifying things to a larger extent.
An experiential heuristic for reference:
If you feel x, then do y.
The key word being "feel." As soon as you start engaging people's minds, then they will start making up their own hypothesis on top of reality - and you've lost the ability to operate on instinct.

kiran

Instinct has limits. For instance instinct might tell you that something is "bad" because it triggers a drop in blood sugar. It would be hard to guess that you need copious OJ without trying it. Also it probably can't predict what you will be able to tolerate tomorrow.

OP
N

narouz

oxidation_is_normal said:
Nope - reading this much before you eat is not instinctual. The peat diet could be made to be more instinctual, but it currently does not read like it. In order to do that, we would need to formulate an experiential heuristic. Instincts work from experience, not knowledge. I think doing so could be very useful to lots of people - but it would be simplifying things to a larger extent.
An experiential heuristic for reference:
If you feel x, then do y.
The key word being "feel." As soon as you start engaging people's minds, then they will start making up their own hypothesis on top of reality - and you've lost the ability to operate on instinct.

Well, let's substitute the word "appetite" for "instinct."

Is eating a good Peat diet simply a matter of following one's appetite?

Let me answer by relating a little factoid fresh in my mind from another thread.
Charlie excerpted a Peat article in which Peat said
that when he wants to have some pork rinds
he first re-fries them in coconut oil,
hoping to remove the PUFA.

So, clearly, Peat has cravings.
He has appetite.
He has appetite for pork rinds.
So do many other humans.
Unless they are very rare pork rinds,
they contain a lot of PUFA.

If Peat or I or you were simply following our appetite,
we would slam down those porks rinds and screw the re-frying in coconut oil.

In that vignette
it is clear that the intellect
is strongly involved in the eating decision-making process.

rdmayo21

I'm new to the work of Dr. Peat and am in the process of experimenting with some of his dietary recommendations. After doing Perfect Health Diet for the past couple of years, it seems to me to be tastier than a "Peat Diet", but not by a huge margin. It's great to not have a fear of fructose, but there are definitely some tasty foods that are somewhat high in PUFA (e.g. bacon, guacamole, pistachios). So no, I would not consider a "Peat Diet" to be instinctual.

OP
N

narouz

rdmayo21 said:
...but there are definitely some tasty foods that are somewhat high in PUFA (e.g. bacon, guacamole, pistachios)...

A truthspeaker has arrived.

narouz said:
rdmayo21 said:
...but there are definitely some tasty foods that are somewhat high in PUFA (e.g. bacon, guacamole, pistachios)...

I think at least bacon and pistachios tastiness is because of Maillard browning which probably benefits from PUFA, just like in the body.

jyb

Such_Saturation said:
narouz said:
rdmayo21 said:

I think at least bacon and pistachios tastiness is because of Maillard browning which probably benefits from PUFA, just like in the body.

Yes, the Maillard browning and the smell of many fried stuff in general (donuts marinated in pufa) is like a drug. It smells delicious, I'm only able to avoid eating them because I know they're totally evil. But I completely understand why people are addicted and diseased, it's really not intuitive from the smell.

Things like pasta and very fresh bread of many types also smell good.

sugarspice

nother late reply to a fascinating topic. I'm extremely new to Peat (I discovered him almost 3 weeks ago while lying in bed unable to sleep...decided to google fixes for chronic insomnia and was led to an anti-PUFA article referencing his work). I was vegan for many years, mainly for health reasons, but could never seem to get a handle on my health (and still haven't figured it out). So over the past 3 weeks I've been experimenting with dairy and eggs and orange juice and carrot salad and fruit and cheese and potatoes and coconut oil and ghee and butter and gelatin and milk--but no meat because I'm not ready and no coffee because I hate the taste of coffee. I drink caffeinated tea instead. I haven't been able to become convinced yet that vegetables are bad for me, so I haven't eliminated them yet, and I'm unsure if I will. (For example in my first week of eating more Peaty, I shredded a few dandelion greens in my daily carrot salad since I had some in my fridge still and in Aryurveda, the bitter "rasa" or taste is said to stimulate digestion. I also added a spoonful of some herb-y mustard which improved the overall taste, in my opinion.) But to get to the main point:

I agree with the original poster that we humans have a tendency towards confirmation bias. It is what it is. As for me, in terms of non-Peaty foods: I have ALWAYS hated the avocado with a burning passion. Especially in childhood. But as a vegan it was a staple, since it's so calorie dense. The avocado only redeems itself as guacamole, and I think that has a lot to do with the power of cilantro. On the other hand, I have always LOVED sauteed spinach with olive oil, garlic and lemon.

Non-Peaty loves:
BREAD
Ethiopian cuisine (injeera...lentils...collards...yummm)
Thai cuisine
Grilled cheese sandwiches
YES, fried plantains
Pizza
Mac n cheese
Candied yams
CORN
Pinto beans

Non-Peaty hates:
Avocado
Broccoli (I have always hated it, but a friend of mine roasted it once and I found it tolerable)
Okra (blech)
Garden salad (not quite a hate...I'm more indifferent to it than anything)

What I have liked best so far about eating (somewhat) Peat is that I am eating dairy again. Cheese is probably in my top three favorite foods on earth. Though I must say that coming off from the vegan diet, it is still a little bit weird to me that humans have created an entire way of living off of the products of lactating animals. Is it "instinctual" to eat dairy? No idea. Is it delicious? YES! And to the poster that mentioned that vegetables don't want to be eaten hence anti-nutrients...neither do cows! Most beings are fighting for survival, and resist being consumed unless there is reproductive benefit to being consumed. And yet, everything must eat. I think I'm learning, though, that part of coming to terms with life on Earth is that every food source likely has "good" and "bad" elements, and the key is figuring out which ones to consume most of the time for the unique physiology of your species or individual body.

OP
N

narouz

sugarspice said:
post 109601 nother late reply to a fascinating topic. I'm extremely new to Peat (I discovered him almost 3 weeks ago while lying in bed unable to sleep...decided to google fixes for chronic insomnia and was led to an anti-PUFA article referencing his work). I was vegan for many years, mainly for health reasons, but could never seem to get a handle on my health (and still haven't figured it out). So over the past 3 weeks I've been experimenting with dairy and eggs and orange juice and carrot salad and fruit and cheese and potatoes and coconut oil and ghee and butter and gelatin and milk--but no meat because I'm not ready and no coffee because I hate the taste of coffee. I drink caffeinated tea instead. I haven't been able to become convinced yet that vegetables are bad for me, so I haven't eliminated them yet, and I'm unsure if I will. (For example in my first week of eating more Peaty, I shredded a few dandelion greens in my daily carrot salad since I had some in my fridge still and in Aryurveda, the bitter "rasa" or taste is said to stimulate digestion. I also added a spoonful of some herb-y mustard which improved the overall taste, in my opinion.) But to get to the main point:

I agree with the original poster that we humans have a tendency towards confirmation bias. It is what it is. As for me, in terms of non-Peaty foods: I have ALWAYS hated the avocado with a burning passion. Especially in childhood. But as a vegan it was a staple, since it's so calorie dense. The avocado only redeems itself as guacamole, and I think that has a lot to do with the power of cilantro. On the other hand, I have always LOVED sauteed spinach with olive oil, garlic and lemon.

Non-Peaty loves:
BREAD
Ethiopian cuisine (injeera...lentils...collards...yummm)
Thai cuisine
Grilled cheese sandwiches
YES, fried plantains
Pizza
Mac n cheese
Candied yams
CORN
Pinto beans

Non-Peaty hates:
Avocado
Broccoli (I have always hated it, but a friend of mine roasted it once and I found it tolerable)
Okra (blech)
Garden salad (not quite a hate...I'm more indifferent to it than anything)

What I have liked best so far about eating (somewhat) Peat is that I am eating dairy again. Cheese is probably in my top three favorite foods on earth. Though I must say that coming off from the vegan diet, it is still a little bit weird to me that humans have created an entire way of living off of the products of lactating animals. Is it "instinctual" to eat dairy? No idea. Is it delicious? YES! And to the poster that mentioned that vegetables don't want to be eaten hence anti-nutrients...neither do cows! Most beings are fighting for survival, and resist being consumed unless there is reproductive benefit to being consumed. And yet, everything must eat. I think I'm learning, though, that part of coming to terms with life on Earth is that every food source likely has "good" and "bad" elements, and the key is figuring out which ones to consume most of the time for the unique physiology of your species or individual body.

I love everything on both of your lists!
What does this augur for my future as a Peatian?

Last edited by a moderator: