Is Eating a Peat Diet Instinctual?

OP
N

narouz

j. said:
Charlie said:
After all that. I think narouz should take us all out for pizza! :eek: :lol:

Have anyone found anything better than my wood pizza?

I still remember your effort there with gratitude, j.

Wood is very natural.

J

j.

tastewise, bacon is ok. not something to eat every day. maybe the deep enjoyment some people get out of it is like the addiction people get out of consuming chocolate or nicotine when they're unbalanced.

gabriel79

Narouz, what I don't understand is what the hell are the salad and the sandwich doing there, ruining the image of a steak-wide roasted piece of bacon (smoked, not salted) sided with a potato roasted directly over the barbecue coals topped with butter aplenty.
let's stop this mean game. I'm getting hungry again and my fridge is almost empty!

OP
N

narouz

I was beginning to wonder about you, Gabriel.
But...you are an honest man! ;)

Sunjoy

narouz said:
I'm gonna have to administer some truth serum to you guys! :x

Alright:
Pizza.
Nobody loved it?
Let me anticipate:
I suppose you'll say you prefer the taste of just the toppings
and would gladly dispose of the crispy crust.

Bagel:
Never enjoyed them for breakfast?
Perhaps with a generous crusting of sesame seeds
chock-full of SEED OIL?

Salmon?
Y'all've been dancing around that one I notice. :)
Never like that either I suppose?
With it's succulent slathering of Natural Omega Fat?

Mind Experiment:
You are served two steaks, fillet mignon, both grilled to perfection.
Will you instinctually be able to know which is the grass-fed and which the purely grain-fed?
And will you prefer the taste of the grass-fed?

Will any of you confess that you enjoyed
a piece of toasted whole wheat bread topped with sesame tahini?
Or perhaps topped with peanut butter?

Don't make me inject you with that Truth Serum! :lol:

OK I'll bite.

Pizza - oh my God to die for, for all parts of it, crust included.

Bagel - meh, ok, like it with cream cheese or cinnamon raisin. take it or leave it.

Salmon - no. finally forced myself to eat it as it was "healthy." Much rather crab and lobster slathered in garlic butter.

Wouldn't tell the difference between steaks I don't think. I'm still chock full of PUFAs. A newbie.

Toast, no. But I come from low carb land and trained myself off carbs. I can easily give up grains. As for seeds, yuck, I'm not a bird! :lol:

I love milk and trained myself to stay away from it too. And adore sugar. So the land of milk and honey is wondrous. I actually eat sugar not honey but you catch my drift. I love OJ too.

When I was pregnant with my first daughter I craved OJ and ate a diet of OJ, potatoes, carrots and butter, probably the closest I ever came to Peating. BUT, I also craved french fries which were deep fried in grease (!) and would drive clear across town for my fix! :mrgreen:

That was 16 years ago - but I thought of this when you mentioned instinctual. Perhaps I was instinctually doing my best with the OJ, potatoes, carrots and butter. Who knows?

Sunjoy

narouz said:
Charlie said:
The other green stuff was my favorite. :mrgreen:

I loved a crispy green salad
with mixed lettuces, baby spinach,
tomato, avocado, cumcumbers,
croutons, maybe a few nuts, black and green olives,
with a tahini vinegarette dressing.

Charlie, roll down yer sleeve,
you may leave the room. :D

I've always HATED greens and salads and all that healthy veggie crap. When I did raw vegan I had to live on green smoothies to get the greens. Good grief. I'm so with Peat on this - leafy poo poo! :shootself

Sunjoy

chris said:
Can't stand bananas, consistency is horrible and make my teeth furry. Also make me gassy.

:rolling

Oh geez, I actually guffawed when I read this!

I honestly can't stand bananas either but I practically lived on them when I was raw vegan. I'm nearly crying with laughter. This thread is so liberating. Furry teeth! I'm sure every raw vegan has furry teeth! Dental problems galore eating raw vegan.

Hate beans, olives, leafy greens, rice (but love potatoes), don't care for root veggies either.

What I love is a tender cut of beef (filet or rib eye preferably) grilled just past blue rare, dripping with blood, baked potato with garlic butter, mushrooms sauteed in garlic butter.

That and Haagen Dazs coffee ice cream is what I love probably the most. I can drink heavy cream from the carton. Liquid ice cream. Love coffee and OJ. Feel like Peating is a physical body's heaven.

For now, though, I need to stick with low fat milk, OJ, sugar, gelatin, coffee, eggs and keep fat on the down low so I can release some of this weight. Did spurge on a filet mignon, mashed potatoes and mushrooms for dinner tonight though. I anticipate a weight gain, can feel it happening already and I've definitely been eating way too much fat. But I'm still learning and making my way and read this is not uncommon for habitual low carbers used to eating a lot of fat.

OP
N

narouz

Sunjoy said:
narouz said:
I loved a crispy green salad
with mixed lettuces, baby spinach,
tomato, avocado, cumcumbers,
croutons, maybe a few nuts, black and green olives,
with a tahini vinegarette dressing.

I've always HATED greens and salads and all that healthy veggie crap. When I did raw vegan I had to live on green smoothies to get the greens. Good grief. I'm so with Peat on this - leafy poo poo! :shootself

Well pluck out the avocado if it offends thee.
But...anyone:

SALAD

How many would turn down a cool, crispy, green salad
to compliment your baked potato and sirloin?
(Sunjoy excepted)

OP
N

narouz

Don't you agree that we talk ourselves into what foods taste good, sometimes?
That is, we intellectualize foods depending upon what dietary regime we throw ourselves into at the time,
sortuv propagandize ourselves about said regime,
then...viola!...the propagandized, "healthy" foods are magically transformed into the most delicious foods ever!
And the old, out-of-fashion, "unhealthy" foods, well...they become gross!

I remember when my girlfriend influenced me into vegetarianism long ago.
We would eat all these vegetables, priding ourselves on how we were eating ourselves healthy.
When we (and by "we" I mean "me") would "relapse" and eat, like, a hamburger,
we would say things like:
"Oh, that made me feel so bad!
Now that my body knows the healthy food,
it can't even deal with that disgusting meat!"

Don't you hear that a lot from vegetarians:
how eating meat becomes instinctually repulsive and undigestible and nearly poisonous
once the body becomes enlightened to the true, healthy foods?

You see, I hope, where I'm goin' with this...

HDD

Oh,yes, in my home. Someone is trying to recruit for a 21 day sugar cleanse because not eating strict Paleo and feels bad.

Cheese. Always loved cheese. Gave it up for nut cheese. Ha!
Made a raw pizza with nut crust and pine nut cheese in the dehydrator. It was good but my choices were limited.

Soy cheese, rice cheese on pizza, blech!

Love avocados. Especially guacamole. And refried beans with cheese.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Hi Kelly, welcome to the forum! :welcome

OP
N

narouz

Kelly said:
I love avocados. I like them best plain. Mmm.

Kelly-
I guess you and I are the only ones.
What is wrong with these people! :?

OP
N

narouz

Put it this way:

Don't you notice that when people join a certain dietary program,
in which certain kinds of foods are deemed healthy and others not...

...don't you notice that the members of the dietary group
soon come to say that the foods their group deems healthy
are also--surprise!--the most delicious of all foods?

Doesn't that phenomenon seem a little suspicious to you?

Haven't you even, maybe, observed that phenomenon at play
in your own life
as you move from one dietary regime to another?

If you were a Paleohead or Primalist or LowCarber,
didn't you come to profess that, you know,
not only is, say, raw kale wonderfully healthy for you,
but...it is also the most delicious food on the planet?

Or, conversely, if you've been, say, a Vegan,
didn't you formerly declare for all to hear
that eating meat was not only a disgusting and inhumane practice,
but it also--what a coincidence!--tasted revolting?

Or if you were a Macrobiotic person,
didn't you come to claim that,
not only were rice and miso and stir fries the most healthy foods,
but...wait for it...yes!: the most delicious as well!
And meat tastes horrible!

Okay.
So let me get this straight:
in all those other dietary practices above,
they were mistaken.
They brainwashed themselves into thinking
that their putative healthy foods
were--so handily and utopianly--also the most delicious.
It was not that they came to be more in tune with their
True Natural Instinctual Appetite,
though that is what they vehemently claimed.
Rather, they had discovered that life was so much cooler,
food was so much cooler,
and--most importantly--they themselves were so much cooler,
if Everything they ate was The Best in every respect:
-The Most Healthy
and!
-The Most Delicious

And this notion was so wonderful and so cool,
that they just sortuv decided that it was True.

You see where this is heading?

gretchen

It is instinctual, yes, but also as long as the "vanity health" trend continues (better to look good than to feel good), people are going to gravitate to salads and steamed broccoli because they're making "healthy choices" largely dictated by the media. Following and fitting in is very instinctive.

Kelly

narouz said:
Kelly said:
I love avocados. I like them best plain. Mmm.

Kelly-
I guess you and I are the only ones.
What is wrong with these people! :?

I have a hard time trusting people who don't admit to the deliciousness of avocados. :lol:

I agree with your next post too. I sometimes crave salmon and almonds in a big time kind of way.

Sunjoy

gretchen said:
It is instinctual, yes, but also as long as the "vanity health" trend continues (better to look good than to feel good), people are going to gravitate to salads and steamed broccoli because they're making "healthy choices" largely dictated by the media. Following and fitting in is very instinctive.

Very well said. I like that.

What really interests me is how Peat inspired eating has happily freed me from not only the pursuit of the "vanity health" that Gretchen mentions but also from the mindsets of other programs that teach what I have now discovered are incorrect formulas for me to achieve good health (and not necessarily looking good, at least in the beginning) I confess to have bought into most of hype of what is considered healthy on pretty much every eating plan I tried, most especially the worldview on leafy greens, which are pretty much universally accepted as being really good for you.

I think what was instinctual was my body never adapting nor liking leafy greens but of course others - like Narouz really like their crispy greens. :D Nothing wrong with that! Vive le difference!

But I thought I was just plain wrong and that my body's rejection of greens was indicative of my body being so unhealthy and out of whack, which it is BTW.

I was told by countless advocates of most so called healthy eating plans that my body would eventually adapt and grow to love greens (plus other things I didn't like, I use greens as an example.) but that never happened and I daresay it likely never would.

I find this discussion on instincts intriguing because I do think instincts can be a guide although they most certainly can be transcended. For now, I'm using them to guide me in better understanding my own actual likes and true needs and adjusting what I eat as I progress, all the while applying Peat principles as best I know and understand them, and learning more from all of you.

Pregnant women have been know to crave the craziest stuff. I read about one women craving dirt! I'm fairly certain she didn't like dirt but craved it because it contained something her body was starving for. I think rejecting something perhaps works the same way. My feeling now is my body recoiled from the protective toxins in plant food, hence my dislike for most of it. When eating veggies, I always wanted to roast them because I found they became sweet!

I also think Narouz is correct in saying that we will talk ourselves into believing we liked something to fit in with the crowd. Group think is a powerful thing. Just look at the Allegory of the Cave! :D

What's been rather amazing to me is discovering that there is virtually nothing I dislike that is recommended by Peat as a means to restore youth and vigor through a high metabolism, although I much prefer full fat cream to low fat milk. I know this is not true for everyone and that many struggle with milk and other things that are recommended and I feel for them.

Thanks for allowing me to share. :)

My preference is to look at myself and what I'm doing in a positive way, being more loving and accepting of myself and never critical of my past mistakes and understanding that even at 51 years old I am a work in progress. Finding what works best for me while welcoming the advice and experience of others while pouring through Peat's articles seems to be working well for me so far. And it keeps me focused squarely on my own business and out of the business of others! :mrgreen:

Cheers!

gretchen

Everyone hates green vegetables. People want to fit and currently, the "real food" trend is at its peak. This dumb **** trend shows no sign of slowing down. Hagen Daasz IS real food, but it contains that evil sugar, which everyone is being brainwashed to stop eating. It totally sucks that Seth Roberts has given a nod to Team Real by saying that good tasting foods (like HD) raise the set point. Lets face it Peatarians, given the current sociocultural climate, our view isn't going to catch on. We say its normal to eat sweet foods; they say Grok didn't eat them and that's why we're all fat.