Is drinking out of stainless steel containers bad?

ironfist

I used this for a long time and it started to get discolored inside. Not sure if this was rust or what
20220923_122321.jpg

If it is discoloring then toss it. I think water and milk should normally be fine in them, but definitely nothing acidic. I personally would use glass instead.

I'm.No.One

That's likely a knock off, many made is China containers are marked stainless but aren't.

I mean the mass produced no real name brand kind.

:M :B.

These bottles are sweet. The inside is coated in a very very thin layer of glass. I have had some for years and so far it always seems to clean up and be fresh.

HeyThere

These bottles are sweet. The inside is coated in a very very thin layer of glass. I have had some for years and so far it always seems to clean up and be fresh.

"Purist bottles are designed in California and made in China."

At least they're honest.

BearWithMe

Stainless steel is safe, as long as it is nickel-free and uncoated.

The problem is, nickel free stainless steel food containers and cutlery are pretty rare.

Also, stainless steel food containers sometimes have aluminium parts, avoid these like a plague.

Also, avoid all food containers from dubious sellers like a plague.

BearWithMe

"Purist bottles are designed in California and made in China."

At least they're honest.
There is nothing wrong with Chinese manufacturers per se. You can get top quality stuff out of China, as long as you keep good quality control.

BearWithMe

Some manufacturers make stuff from nickel-free steel, but don't advertise it as such. You have to ask them.

Click on one of the products on the Purist site and then click FAQ and there is more info.
1664044889226.png

These look amazing! Thanks for sharing - will be my next container investment…

Edit: after reading the website all of the lids seem problematic. Anyway watching this product…
problematic like it being one of the bad plastics?

Lollipop2

problematic like it being one of the bad plastics?
No go read the reviews - 3 different models and each model has issues - some people don’t like them: 1) the lids don’t last very long and break, 2) people asking for redesigns, 3) one does not clean and starts getting nasty smells in it, etc.

No go read the reviews - 3 different models and each model has issues - some people don’t like them: 1) the lids don’t last very long and break, 2) people asking for redesigns, 3) one does not clean and starts getting nasty smells in it, etc.
Ohhh i see. I had one lid get funky on me. It was the silicon ring on the lid that got moldy and wouldn't clean up...because i left stuff in it for a long time and I am too lazy to clean things all the time.
I haven't had anything break when I used these things every day. The company sent me a new lid after I emailed them about the mold. I wouldn't be scared away by the reviews if someone really needs a potentially non-poison insulated type vessel for something you have to keep cool in a hot climate like milk or whatever. I bet the people clipping the lid to a backpack and banging it around are the ones breaking things.

Lately I just use mason jars with the plastic lids.

Lollipop2

Ohhh i see. I had one lid get funky on me. It was the silicon ring on the lid that got moldy and wouldn't clean up...because i left stuff in it for a long time and I am too lazy to clean things all the time.
I haven't had anything break when I used these things every day. The company sent me a new lid after I emailed them about the mold. I wouldn't be scared away by the reviews if someone really needs a potentially non-poison insulated type vessel for something you have to keep cool in a hot climate like milk or whatever. I bet the people clipping the lid to a backpack and banging it around are the ones breaking things.

Lately I just use mason jars with the plastic lids.
:): I love those jars, make my cold brew coffee in them.

The Purist containers interest me. I will definitely try one.

RealNeat

Just use pure copper, they are resistant to growth of bacteria as long as you have a liquid above neutral pH in them there shouldn't be Cu toxicity problems. You also get a small amount of copper. Watch for the green discoloration, if major patina occurs use salt and lemon to polish inside and out. A lot of patina shouldn't occur with basic water.

Good Q and A on their site.