Is dl-Alpha Tocopherol " Synthetic " Vitamn E Useless?

lyfe

I was foolish and ran to Costco and bought a 500 capsule bottle of Vitamin E for $10 bucks just to get home and realize its the dl-alpha version and not the d-alpha. Now everything I read, including Evan Shutes old research on Vitamin E - is showing and saying that this form of Vitamin E is rather useless orally. Should I ditch the bottle and buy something different?

Perry Staltic

Useless is a bit extreme. dl is less potent and less bioavailable, but hardly worthless. You get what you pay for.

LA

I was foolish and ran to Costco and bought a 500 capsule bottle of Vitamin E for $10 bucks just to get home and realize its the dl-alpha version and not the d-alpha. Now everything I read, including Evan Shutes old research on Vitamin E - is showing and saying that this form of Vitamin E is rather useless orally. Should I ditch the bottle and buy something different?
Topically I use what I think is synthetic/racemic-vitamin E liquid (great for winter hands and face) "d-Alpha tocopheryl" (with a y) - I personally would not take synthetic internally. Although since I am thrifty and hate shopping, if I were in your situation, I would definitely use it topically. It is much better than any of the hand lotions I have ever tried. - - - Internally I will only take d-Alpha Tocopherol. Currently I use 400 IU twice daily. I have good results with it. I tried to find the quote about the synthetic, which I once read in a book by some health writer (maybe Adele Davis, maybe Pearson and Shaw) but I could not. What I remember reading was that dl-alpha tocoperol will work but you have to take more of it; twice as much at least.
I 'seem' to remember that Drs. Wilfrid and Evan Shute only used natural Vit E.