Is DHT The Most Important Hormone For Males?

Lucenzo01

I have been researching like crazy about this hormone in the last year. It is the hormone to which testosterone get converted to when is not aromatized. It is basically the hormone that make us men, give us all our secondary masculine characteristics, aggression, beard, low voice... The levels of DHT of the mother determine if the baby is going to be male or female. Everything about it seems so right that is almost a miracle hormone. From reducing estrogen (it cures gyno) to increasing bone density, the list of benefits are incredible. So, I have been researching about this hormone and seems that almost everything pushed today as healthy decreased it: all vitamins but D and K2, PUFAS, raw food, fasting, COCONUT OIL. I have concluded that the perfect diet to increase this hormone is eating basically fried food in butter, sugar, high calorie and carbs consumption, tobacco and coffee. It's like the benefits of the Peat approach are caused by the increase of this hormone. I'm going to start talking exogenous DHT and will report back.

Parsifal

I have been researching like crazy about this hormone in the last year. It is the hormone to which testosterone get converted to when is not aromatized. It is basically the hormone that make us men, give us all our secondary masculine characteristics, aggression, beard, low voice... The levels of DHT of the mother determine if the baby is going to be male or female. Everything about it seems so right that is almost a miracle hormone. From reducing estrogen (it cures gyno) to increasing bone density, the list of benefits are incredible. So, I have been researching about this hormone and seems that almost everything pushed today as healthy decreased it: all vitamins but D and K2, PUFAS, raw food, fasting, COCONUT OIL. I have concluded that the perfect diet to increase this hormone is eating basically fried food in butter, sugar, high calorie and carbs consumption, tobacco and coffee. It's like the benefits of the Peat approach are caused by the increase of this hormone. I'm going to start talking exogenous DHT and will report back.
Is that really good since Peat talked about neotenization? So if you have a sparse but at 25+ is that because you don't have enough DHT? Will it grow if you increase it?

moriwatzi

DHT on it's own did not strike me very powerful in any way, especially when you're looking for effects on beard, muscle or voice, you are in for a big disappointment. I encourage everyone to experiment with it directly.

snowboard111

In my opinion, it's a BIG mistake to talk about one hormone and all the things it does in the body and ignoring the rest. There's absolutely nothing in isolation in the body and certainly not hormones.

Peat "guideline" does not just raise DHT but all the others deemed beneficial as well...

snowboard111

Take testosterone and see for yourself the cohort of others hormones that will be affected by it... Take estrogen and see what it does for the rest too

moriwatzi

That is exactly the whole point of it. You take one substance and see how it effects other substances. After a while you become experienced enough to notice testosterone aromatizing into estrogen, or DHT lowering estrogen and then testosterone.

Brian

Both genders need a good base of progesterone levels. Its the main estrogen antagonist. DHT's main function is secondary sexual characteristics. DHT without a strong base level of progesterone probably won't have very noticeable effects.

OP
L

Lucenzo01

Both genders need a good base of progesterone levels. Its the main estrogen antagonist. DHT's main function is secondary sexual characteristics. DHT without a strong base level of progesterone probably won't have very noticeable effects.

But DHT IS an estrogen antagonist and can't be aromatized. Progesterone can get aromatized if I recall correctly.

Brian

But DHT IS an estrogen antagonist and can't be aromatized. Progesterone can get aromatized if I recall correctly.

Progesterone doesn't have an estrogen or testosterone pathway, so it can't aromatize, but it can decrease both testosterone and estrogen when supplemented too high, which is easy to do. It's probably more ideal to increase endogenous production through high calories, magnesium, zinc, and vitamin A, which will also increase DHT as well.

I'm not saying not to try DHT, but you do need a balance of progesterone to help DHT do its job, and in my opinion the main way to do that is increasing magnesium and zinc.

Last edited:

tanneron

Progesterone doesn't have an estrogen or testosterone pathway, so it can't aromatize, but it can decrease both testosterone and estrogen when supplemented too high, which is easy to do. It's probably more ideal to increase endogenous production through high calories, magnesium, zinc, and vitamin A, which will also increase DHT as well.

I'm not saying not to try DHT, but you do need a balance of progesterone to help DHT do its job, and in my opinion the main way to do that is increasing magnesium and zinc.
Brian, what would you say is a progesterone level that is too high for a man. I'm taking 2 drops of Progest-E daily and I think that would be about 6 mg of progesterone. Does that seem low or high to you?

Brian

Brian, what would you say is a progesterone level that is too high for a man. I'm taking 2 drops of Progest-E daily and I think that would be about 6 mg of progesterone. Does that seem low or high to you?

I had bad results with supplementing progesterone at any dose (in combination with DHEA) until I felt like I had achieved a good base level of health and mineral status. I'm not currently using progesterone, but in my experience the smallest amount possible is probably advisable. That's pretty hard to do with Progest-E. Next time I play around with progesterone I will probably use Haidut's product to get a more controlled dose or I might try his Pansterone product.

OP
L

Lucenzo01

I had bad results with supplementing progesterone at any dose (in combination with DHEA) until I felt like I had achieved a good base level of health and mineral status. I'm not currently using progesterone, but in my experience the smallest amount possible is probably advisable. That's pretty hard to do with Progest-E. Next time I play around with progesterone I will probably use Haidut's product to get a more controlled dose or I might try his Pansterone product.

I don't understand. I have googled progesterone and it's an estrogen, right? It says that is a female hormone. Why would we want to have MORE progesterone?

Brian

I don't understand. I have googled progesterone and it's an estrogen, right? It says that is a female hormone. Why would we want to have MORE progesterone?

It's not necessarily a more is better thing, but enough to keep estrogen down. And it needs to be in balance with DHEA/DHT. The ratio matters more than the absolute amounts.

lvysaur

I have been researching about this hormone and seems that almost everything pushed today as healthy decreased it: all vitamins but D and K2, PUFAS, raw food, fasting, COCONUT OIL.

DHT is a necessary hormone for hair loss. The guevedoces of the Dominican have a complete lack of DHT (but not T), and never go bald. In addition, they have an increased risk of testicular cancer, probably due to lack of an equivalently anti-estrogenic substitute for DHT.

When I eat fermentable fibers, or when I wake up in the morning, I will have coarser-feeling facial hair. If I continue this for long, I start to lose head hair. After I evacuate my bowels well, the facial hair feels softer again. In other words, estrogenic events androgenize me.

Peatarian.com Email Exchanges - Ray Peat Forum Wiki

Low thyroid and high estrogen, resulting from various things such as high PUFA, low nutrient diet, interfere with progesterone synthesis, and the adrenals compensate, producing androgens instead. Pregnenolone helps to lower adrenal androgens, progesterone can be used topically on some hairy areas.

So it's expected that a healthy diet and lifestyle would reduce DHT. As long as DHT reduction is done through the reduction of estrogen, it's desirable. If it's done through finasteride, it is undesirable, since the underlying problem of high estrogen is left unopposed.

Parsifal

I think Danny Roddy wrote that DHT was not the cause of hair loss but I think it can really contribute to it...

snowboard111

What make you think DHT is a factor to a coarser beard vs. a softer beard?I don't have any hairloss and my beard is always super coarse. Some people who let they beard grow shampoo them and oil them as well...

As for DHT being definitely responsable for hairloss it might be there in response to something else that is definitely responsable for hairloss?
If DHEA raise in period of stress (too much DHEA will be synthesize in estrogen) it might be the starting point?There's also studies that suggest how DHEA might be responsable for prostate cancer, heart disease, etc, but in only high doses as well.

I might be wrong, but I don't think studies made on Guevedoces in Dominican Republic is much proof anything... there's probably a bunch of factors that come at play
in cases like that.

Last edited:

Makrosky

In my opinion, it's a BIG mistake to talk about one hormone and all the things it does in the body and ignoring the rest. There's absolutely nothing in isolation in the body and certainly not hormones.

Peat "guideline" does not just raise DHT but all the others deemed beneficial as well...
:thumbup

schultz

The manly man is not aggressive, he is calm and confident (just my opinion).

There is evidence that aggression is caused by estrogen.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals