Is Darth Vader-like breathing the sign of optimum metabolism?

youngandold

While Star Wars' Darth Vader is fictional to begin with
and he is a cyborg or some man-machine hybrid with a microphone on his mouth

Is his breathing rate and sound the trademark of an optimum metabolism?

Did some real life villain (maybe Hitler) have the same type of breathing.

tara

There is a yoga practice using ujayi(sp?) breath that constricts the breathing somewhat and can sound a bit like that. I assume it is intended to reduce breathing rate and increase prana (CO2?) retention. Are you doing a deliberate restriction? Otherwise, Buteyko method suggests breathing at rest would ideally be silent and minimal and barely perceptible.

Have you tried measuring your Buteyko control pause?
http://www.normalbreathing.com/index-measure-CP.php

Nicholas

youngandold said:
post 111645 While Star Wars' Darth Vader is fictional to begin with

i employ the ujayi quite often in my routines, though i don't really feel it to affect or reflect metabolism

"The simple “ujayi” breath used in Astanga Vinyasa is also useful, the increased awareness of the breath caused by the gentle contraction at the base of the throat and the resulting Darth Vader type sound bring increased awareness, during more challenging asana and vinyasa the breath will be louder. "
- Pranarupa

Last edited by a moderator:

Blossom

Forum Supporter
youngandold said:
post 111645 While Star Wars' Darth Vader is fictional to begin with

Under ordinary circumstances if you can hear breathing it's not normally a good sign. During breathless exercise and some purposeful breathing exercises hearing the breath is to be expected but at rest it can be related to some obstruction or restriction to the airway either nasal, tracheal, bronchial or the lungs in general. Although I haven't counted his respiratory rate it seems normal but I definitely wouldn't use Darth Vader's breathing as an example of optimal metabolism.

barefooter

Optimal breathing is very easy and silent. Darth Vader probably had low CO2 from chronic hyperventilation, which contributed to his anger :). When I feel really good, warm, and calm, my breathing is easy and silent. When I'm anxious or eat the wrong foods and have bloating, breathing becomes harder and louder. I think serotonin plays a role, and I have seen it mentioned (maybe from Peat), that high serotonin causes asthma. I've been experimenting with tianeptine, and it seems to make my breathing easier. Sometimes to the point where it feels like there is no resistance, and it feels really good, which I'd assume is the natural state. It's just noticeable, since I've probably breathed poorly my whole life.

I just spent a bunch of time with some family who are very heavy breathers and I notice it so much now. At times they sound like they are gasping for air, and I feel like unfortunately, they're dying a little with every breath. Of course, the agreed mainstream view is that deep breathing is best for oxygenation, and few people see proper breathing as something fundamental to health. Excessive breathing seems to be a result of both chronic health problems and conditioning.

Edit:
Here's the quote from Peat on the asthma serotonin link.
"As inflammatory mediators, serotonin and histamine are directly involved in asthma, hives, gastrointestinal damage from alcohol, nerve cell damage, edema, and shock." -- Ray Peat

link

The louder and deeper you breathe at rest, the less healthy you are.
People who have had heart attaches recently, people with prostate cancer, people with metabolic issues, breathe loud and often mouth breathe.

milk_lover

ecstatichamster said:
post 111733 The louder and deeper you breathe at rest, the less healthy you are.
People who have had heart attaches recently, people with prostate cancer, people with metabolic issues, breathe loud and often mouth breathe.
I remember one day on youtube I was watching Gary Taubes, author of Good Carbs, Bad Carbs and he was breathing loudly and deeper than usual. I forgot which video though. I was at the time in the middle of my paleo era. Someone in the comment section mentioned that he would probably have heart attack while speaking. I laughed at that comment thinking this commenter is probably a carb addict who knows nothing about health. Little did I know.. but again we might be all wrong now about health and we don't know exactly everything about health. That's why we have to stay humble no matter of how sure we know.

milk_lover

So many comments on youtube praising Gary Taubes like a God. The one below stood up.
"this guy is truly awesome, well ahead of time, one day there will be schools named after him, for trying to save this stupid planet from eating itself into sugar oblivion." If "sugar" were replaced by PUFA, he would be almost talking about Peat :lol:

I sat next to a guy on a plane, who was breathing VERY loud. Mouth breathing of course. I figured he was VERY sick. Started talking to him...

He was going to Washington DC, had just been airlifted (in Alaska) with a massive heart attack and should have been dead.

Professor Buteyko observed that the more volume per minute someone breathes, the closer to death they are.

One of the reasons I respect Ray's info and advice is that he has an understanding of CO2 and how essential CO2 is. Almost nobody in the field understands CO2 and its relationship to respiration and oxygenation.

Basically, the less you breathe at rest (and any other time, but it's more obvious at rest), the more oxygen reaches your cells.

I achieved a permanent revolution in my health through Buteyko breathing. I got off 6 medications.

I'm here now because I think my metabolism is a bit low and I've had a few health issues that I'd like to fix. They are indicative of not perfect health. Breathing was huge for me, and I became an expert in it, but something is still missing.

Here's what's interesting: as you maximize your CO2, you get warm. Immediately. But your heart rate falls.

Nevertheless, I've been feeling cold, and more tired than I should be, and my heart rate is in the 50s, even 48 or 50 when I wake up. I thought this was wonderful 2 weeks ago, LOL. Now, I'm trying to get my metabolism revved up.

The one thing that I still latch onto is the benefit of the breathing that I do. It's been enormous in my life and a measurement of health overall.

tara

ecstatichamster said:
post 111802 One of the reasons I respect Ray's info and advice is that he has an understanding of CO2 and how essential CO2 is.
:1
I didn't get far with breathing retraining - CP still very low - but learning some basics and attending to the low hanging fruit made quite a difference for me too. Retrained nasal and diaphragmatic breathing, and practice short breath holds in some situations.
I think diet can make a difference to breathing, too.

Sheik

I don't know, you guys. When I hear myself breathing is usually when it feels really good and natural. For example, when I'm meditating I'll often reach a point where part of me lets go and suddenly I start breathing in a way that is audible. I suspect that the social norm is for people to 'adjust' their breathing so that it makes no sound, whereas if you let go of your conditioning (or self-monitoring) and breathe more naturally you make sound. You're "leaning into" the natural resistance that's there, rather than limiting yourself which is what we normally do. Not to suggest that sound is always a good sign.

tara said:
post 111870
ecstatichamster said:
post 111802 One of the reasons I respect Ray's info and advice is that he has an understanding of CO2 and how essential CO2 is.
:1
I didn't get far with breathing retraining - CP still very low - but learning some basics and attending to the low hanging fruit made quite a difference for me too. Retrained nasal and diaphragmatic breathing, and practice short breath holds in some situations.
I think diet can make a difference to breathing, too.

Ray talks about breathing into a paper bag. But this is really difficult in real life as a method of increasing your CP.

But it's wonderful you already found some benefit. And when your CP is low, diet is ESPECIALLY important. I remember when my CP was low, and I'd eat a meal and just struggle to breathe.

I would say that exercising with mouth closed, and while building air hunger, can be the easiest way to raise CP without formal breathing exercises. There is the Elevation Training Mask that simulates high altitude and lets anyone exercise with air hunger (as long as you don't worry about looking like a paranoid gas mask wearing dork)

OP
Y

youngandold

At first I thought his breath while nicely slow and forceful when inhaling
then becomes too quick when exhaling likely through the mouth.

It looks like Darth Vader had a mechanical respirator thus noise becomes irrelevant as it was caused by a machine and could not be replicated by a human.