Is Cow Foot's Fat Composition The Same As The Rest Of The Other Parts'

Hello, y'all. I often use cow's foot to make my bone broth. It usually gels very well when I put it in the refrigerator. But something I've wondered lately is that, most of the times, the fat layer of the broth gets hard( as saturated fats should) when it has been in the fridge for a while, but, other times, it remains in liquid form, even after days in the refrigerator. Something that may be important is that I do use a pressure cooker and I use a medium flame for 2 hours when I'm making the broth. If a saturated fat is cooked at high temperatures for that amount of time, can it somehow alter the properties of the fat and make it not harden in cold temperatures, even though it still is saturated?

Adrian

Hi Rafael, I've noticed the same thing several times cooking beef leg, and cooked both in pressure cooker (120 ° C) and also in slow cooking (70 ° C) so I prepare the broth and discard all the fat, which I barely get it out of the refrigerator. I also try to extract fat from the intestines of the cow with the pressure cooker and I get a very hard fat even when it is above ambient temperature. It is solid and seems to be saturated and is excellent for cooking even fried potatoes.

Adrian

I believe that the fat deposited on the legs of the animal exposed to cold is more unsaturated, on the other hand the fat that surrounds the intestines is always at the highest body temperature of the animal (saturated fat), besides from the large intestine, I believe that this fat should have a high amount of fat-soluble vitamins. Only ideas.

OP
R
Thanks for answering! That makes a lot of sense. I notice that the fat from the muscles always hardens when I put it in the fridge, so that problably means that it's got little PUFA. I'll just discard the fat next time I make a batch of broth.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals