Is Coffee Reallly Good For Thyroid?

Josh

Can someone clear up coffee for me please? I know we know obviously not to listen to most of the info online, but doing a search ‘Coffee and thyroid’ a lot of negative stuff comes up on it, Is coffee/caffeine really good?

What are all your experiences? Anybody noticed decreased thyroid function?

Kartoffel

Can someone clear up coffee for me please? I know we know obviously not to listen to most of the info online, but doing a search ‘Coffee and thyroid’ a lot of negative stuff comes up on it, Is coffee/caffeine really good?

What are all your experiences? Anybody noticed decreased thyroid function?

Large amounts of coffee on an empty stomach might disrupt thyroid function and endocrine balance by lowering blood sugar and activating stress responses, but in normal amounts, and taken together with food, it should support good thyroid function and protect you from thyroid disease.

Acta Chir Scand. 1989 Jun-Jul;155(6-7):317-20.
Does coffee consumption protect against thyroid disease?
Linos A1, Linos DA, Vgotza N, Souvatzoglou A, Koutras DA.
Author information
Abstract

In a case-control, serially matched study, 70 patients with thyroid cancer, 55 with benign thyroid disease and 71 controls were interviewed in regard to a variety of socioeconomic, social and dietary characteristics. Statistical analysis revealed a strikingly negative (p less than 0.05) association between benign and malignant thyroid disease and consumption of coffee. After adjustment for possible confounding variables, the association remained statistically significant. The mechanism by which coffee consumption may play a protective role against development of benign or malignant thyroid neoplasms may be the stimulatory effect of caffeine on the intracellular cyclic AMP production, which is known to inhibit cell growth.

StephanF

Forum Supporter
Coffee beans and other imported food items are treated with methyl bromide to stop fungus growth. Bromide can disrupt thyroid function by interfering with the iodine uptake. The federal regulations regarding import of green or roasted coffee and the required fumigation is here:
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/plants/manuals/ports/downloads/treatment.pdf
Regarding the health effect of bromide on thyroid function, read Dr. Mercola's article here:
Avoid This if You Want to Keep Your Thyroid Healthy

I wonder whether how organic coffee can avoid these federal requirements? Some organic coffee suppliers state that they are NOT using bromide.

OP
J

Josh

Large amounts of coffee on an empty stomach might disrupt thyroid function and endocrine balance by lowering blood sugar and activating stress responses, but in normal amounts, and taken together with food, it should support good thyroid function and protect you from thyroid disease.

Acta Chir Scand. 1989 Jun-Jul;155(6-7):317-20.
Does coffee consumption protect against thyroid disease?
Linos A1, Linos DA, Vgotza N, Souvatzoglou A, Koutras DA.
Author information
Abstract

In a case-control, serially matched study, 70 patients with thyroid cancer, 55 with benign thyroid disease and 71 controls were interviewed in regard to a variety of socioeconomic, social and dietary characteristics. Statistical analysis revealed a strikingly negative (p less than 0.05) association between benign and malignant thyroid disease and consumption of coffee. After adjustment for possible confounding variables, the association remained statistically significant. The mechanism by which coffee consumption may play a protective role against development of benign or malignant thyroid neoplasms may be the stimulatory effect of caffeine on the intracellular cyclic AMP production, which is known to inhibit cell growth.

Oh this is cool! Thank Kartoffel!

OP
J

Josh

Coffee beans and other imported food items are treated with methyl bromide to stop fungus growth. Bromide can disrupt thyroid function by interfering with the iodine uptake. The federal regulations regarding import of green or roasted coffee and the required fumigation is here:
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/plants/manuals/ports/downloads/treatment.pdf
Regarding the health effect of bromide on thyroid function, read Dr. Mercola's article here:

I wonder whether how organic coffee can avoid these federal requirements? Some organic coffee suppliers state that they are NOT using bromide.

Oh thanks for bringing this up Stephan, ive got an organic coffee brand that i shouldnt imagine contains it but i'll ask

OP
J

Josh

Is interesting about the bromide though, have not heard of that before, would be something brought up on here normally, any body else got an opinion on this?

fradon

bromide is a hallogen like iodine, chloride, and flouride. bromide is not entirely bad because it detoxes flouride and chloride which effect the thyroid. as some poeple supplement their diets with borax for just this purpose and to dissolve their pineal gland.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals