Is Citric Acid A Bad Bad Boy?

Discussion in 'Additives' started by Johhny Tazzle, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Mossy

Mossy Member

So, by simply adding baking soda to a soft drink with citric acid, am I making it a better substance by making it a citrate? Or, would it only be better if you’re needing to be more alkaline and in some cases you may need or prefer the neutral effect of citric acid?

2. yerrag

yerrag Member

I don't think it would work done that way. The citric acid in the soft drink is so diluted that for it to react with baking soda fully may involve much time and effort. But that's just a guess. You may want to try it. If it reacts and there's an excess baking soda left and it doesn't settle but go into solution, the worst thing to happen would be to alter the taste.

3. Mossy

Mossy Member

Ok. Thanks for the added detail.

4. Captain_Coconut

Captain_Coconut Member

I have not heard of this before and have been under the impression that citric acid and citrate are the same thing, that citrate is a bicarbonate precursor in the body, and that drinks such as 7-up and Sprite provide akali to the body. Would you please provide some reference?

5. yerrag

yerrag Member

6. Mossy

Mossy Member

7. yerrag

yerrag Member

In terms of acid load on the body, I would think citric acid is better. As the article on the link from the post by Amazoniac suggests, citric acid metabolizes to bicarbonate, and is neutralized by the hydrogen ion of citric acid, to have a neutral effect. This cannot be said of phosphoric acid, it not being an organic acid.

8. Mossy

Mossy Member

Great. I apprecaite your response.