Is Chicken Breast Really That Bad?

paymanz

I eat them regularly. Why not?
Yes! Me too.

Pufa is low , fat in general is very low in them.

They are lower in carnitine too.

P:Ca ratio is probably the same, and amino acid profile is also very similar to ruminant meat.

Idk, maybe something else is problematic in them?!

Estrogen from their soy feed? They also use more antibiotic in chicken farms,to my knowledge.

Maybe their low pufa gelatinous parts are smaller compared to red meat.

paymanz

Also lipid peroxidation in paultry meat is a problem if you read about paultry industry. Even with low fat content.(but to me that doesn't seem to be a problem)

cyclops

I've been eating a good deal of chicken breasts lately as they fit in well with my diet. The reason I buy them over lean beef or fish is purely cost though as I'm on a tight budget. I'm wondering it's really important to buy chicken breasts organic though. Is it really worth the extra cost? Non-organic is like $1.99 per pound whereas organic is $4.99. I'm sure organic is better, but is it worth more then double the price for this particular food?

I've been eating a good deal of chicken breasts lately as they fit in well with my diet. The reason I buy them over lean beef or fish is purely cost though as I'm on a tight budget. I'm wondering it's really important to buy chicken breasts organic though. Is it really worth the extra cost? Non-organic is like $1.99 per pound whereas organic is $4.99. I'm sure organic is better, but is it worth more then double the price for this particular food?

No I doubt it is. It has almost no,fat and organic is fed organic corn and soy but big deal. In your position id go for what I could afford.

Vinero

I eat chicken breast a few times a week. Always with white rice, mushrooms or summer squash, and milk.

cyclops

No I doubt it is. It has almost no,fat and organic is fed organic corn and soy but big deal. In your position id go for what I could afford.

I wonder if there are any other differences. What about antibiotics? Is non-organic given them, while organic is not?

cyclops

I doubt it. Maybe. Easy to find out.

Well it seems that is one of the features of organic certification; that the chickens cannot be given antibiotics, while non-organic chickens can. I guess you doubt that non-organic chickens are actually given the antibiotics though because you think its rare needed?

If you knew the non-organic chicken had in fact been given antibiotics would you pay the price of organic then?

cyclops

Zacky farms and foster farms are branded chicken producers who say they do not use antibiotics.

That's cool. I don't think I've ever come across that brand but I'll keep an eye out for them, I wonder if they cost more.

The non-organic chicken I usually get is just going to be at a random chain supermarket when they are on sale. It's usually just that supermarkets no-name brand I think. That's how I get that good price.

Birdie

I think there's some law saying chickens can't be fed antibiotics. Still, the companies announce it on their labels as a selling point.