is cheese quark good?

cout12

ingredient list looks fine but it taste a bit like yoghourt, which is not good?

YuraCZ

cout12 said:
quark cheese = cottage cheese without whey.. I don't know why, but I had always cystic acne after eating Quark. But it was years ago on mainstream diet.. I will try Quark again. Now when I'm "Peating".. Quark is good source of casein, calcium and with honey or fruit really tasty food. ;)

BobbyDukes

I've never eaten Quark, or even seen what it looks like. Is it something you would rinse, similar to cottage cheese?

mbarvian

Taste-wise, it's delicious. It's one of the foods I miss most from my travels in Europe. Too bad they don't sell it here in the States :?

schultz

cout12 said:

Some yogurt is fine. Ray doesn't like sour yogurt because of the lactic acid. Greek yogurt has a lot of the acid strained out. Also, I used to make yogurt and wasn't sour at all because it's fresh. Ray has mentioned that as being fine as well.

schultz

cout12 said:
Peatit said:
I literally live on quark, if we are talking about the same thing though: a German fresh cheese?

Not sure, it's this particular brand they have at my grocery https://www.liberte.ca/en/products/cheese/quark-cheese/

This is what the wiki says about Quark I'm not sure how to interpret it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quark_%28dairy_product%29

I like the Liberte products usually. Maybe I'll try the quark! What is the texture like? The description makes it sound smooth like a cream cheese rather than curdy like a cottage cheese.

OP
C

cout12

schultz said:
cout12 said:

Some yogurt is fine. Ray doesn't like sour yogurt because of the lactic acid. Greek yogurt has a lot of the acid strained out. Also, I used to make yogurt and wasn't sour at all because it's fresh. Ray has mentioned that as being fine as well.
What does the lactic acid do? How do I know if the quark has it? It tastes a bit sour like plain yoghourt.

OP
C

cout12

schultz said:
cout12 said:
Peatit said:
I literally live on quark, if we are talking about the same thing though: a German fresh cheese?

Not sure, it's this particular brand they have at my grocery https://www.liberte.ca/en/products/cheese/quark-cheese/

This is what the wiki says about Quark I'm not sure how to interpret it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quark_%28dairy_product%29

I like the Liberte products usually. Maybe I'll try the quark! What is the texture like? The description makes it sound smooth like a cream cheese rather than curdy like a cottage cheese.
The texture is very similar to "mousse" yoghourt, it's similar to creme cheese. Not so much like cottage cheese. It's perfectly smooth. Seems like it would be really useful for making either salty dips or sweet deserts.

tara

I would think quark tastes a bit sour because it still has some of the lactic acid in it from fermentation. Probably has quite a bit less than straight natural yogurt. Whether it's enough to be a problem probably depends on the person. I think Peat has described lactic acid as burdomsome to the liver and as requiring extra energy to metabolise it. I would expect he would count quark as much better than regular yogurt, but still maybe one could have too much of it if one is struggling to keep metabolism up.
I think quark may use different cultures than cottage cheese, greek yogurt and other yogurts etc.

pawpaw

Quark is produced by acid coagulation with little or no added rennet. Acidification is normally by lactic acid producing cultures. The curd that is produced is cooked.

In comparison: fresh rennet cheese is produced with little or no culture. Without acid production by lactic acid bacteria, cheese pH remains high. Further acidification is inhibited by cooling and salting. Coagulation is entirely by rennet at the natural pH of milk. See: http://www.foodsci.uoguelph.ca/cheese/s ... #Figure1_1

The difference between rennet and lactic curds is the thorough demineralization taking place in the lactic curds after draining. The loss of minerals salts, especially calcium is of essential importance to the cheese maker…
The coagulum formed by the curdling of milk changes very quickly…The draining phenomenon is characterized by the separation: on one side the curd essentially composed of casein, fat and minerals…and on the other side the whey which contains lactose, nitrates (albumins, globulins, etc.) as well as varying amounts of minerals. From American Farmstead Cheese by Paul Kindstedt

I believe Dr. Peat considers lactic acid as a product of deranged metabolism…
For my own use, I coagulate fresh goat milk with a minimal amount of microbial rennet, and proceed to cut the curd, salt it and drain off the whey before much naturally occurring lactic acid forms. In this way I hope to maximize calcium. I finish draining the curds with a weight on it and in the refrigerator. The whey also contains the undesirable tryptophan. I don’t cook the curds.
I use these fresh (and bland) curds to make smoothies with fruit and magnesium bicarbonate water.

Steffi

Quark is really good - one of the best milk products. Almost pure protein and only the good one. And it is extreme in its varied uses. It's also very cheap in Europe.
Unfortunately in North America the food mafia does generally not produce the real product. Quark and Mascarpone are extreme examples. What you buy here is something that they tried to resemble the original, but if you know the real thing you are not deceived.
What they call Mascarpone here is milk ingredients mixed with gums to produce a thick texture - rather than a real fresh cheese. Similar the Liberte "quark" has milk protein added which must mean whey powder. It may change the texture, but it totally alters the protein content. Nothing to do with real quark which has the whey exactly removed. Liberte perverted it by adding it back in (of course it maximises profit).
Traditional quark is produced with cultures that acidify the milk (real milk from the cow just needs to sit in the kitchen for a day and you will get quark swimming in whey). Industrially produced may also use any other acid - as can you at home even with murdered (sterilized) milk. Squeeze a lemon into the warm milk and you get Quark in no time.

Dayman

Is quark then similar to farmers cheese, i've seen recipes using rennet or lemon juice.
And where does ricotta fit on the spectrum? And is paneer just pressed quark/farmers cheese?
oh yeah and then there's cottage cheese.
In NZ you can't get cottage cheese that doesn't have gums added, you can get quark but it's expensive, and paneer is a reasonable price.

Steffi

Quark is basically farmers cheese and paneer or queso fresco sometimes called fresh cheese. It's an acid-set cheese, meaning the casein protein in the milk is coagulated by lowering pH - traditionally just through lactic acid with fresh milk turning sour. The curds are very small and do not stick together until pressed. They can be easily drained of the sour, liquid whey in a strainer or cheese cloth until almost no sour taste whatsoever remains. Lots of recipes use that dry protein in place of flour! It can not form a solid loaf of cheese but remains a pasty substance with a characteristically grainy texture that becomes smoother with more fat content.

Real quark does not use rennet or other enzymes - that is how cheese is made from milk. The very fresh curds after adding rennet are called cottage cheese. One could say that every cheese starts out as cottage cheese.
Ricotta on the other hand is something special. It is made from the liquid whey that is left over after the "cottage cheese" curds have been removed from the "milk".

Both Quark and real cheeses (made with rennet from milk) consist of the casein portion of the milk. Ricotta is made up from protein that is left in the whey after casein is removed (globulin and albumin). Less desirable for Peat.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals