Is CBD (cannabidiol), Peaty?

I've seen some negative things said about thc and cannabis in general, when it comes to being peaty. Any idea how CBD stacks up in the peat world?

OP
ImprovingDaily
You're welcome. I looked it up recently because so many people are promoting it as a panacea.

Yeah, very true. Especially here in California with it being legal now and so many celebs advocating for it.

I think a certain part in it (cannabis) being deemed so amazing is that it was or still is illegal in many places. People tend to look at the positives in a substance to somewhat sway the view in a positive nature.

I feel like most drugs should be legal or decriminalized so we can get some objective looks at the effects they have. Education over whatever the hell is currently going on.

managing

I just got dosed 400mg orally today as part of a clinical trial run by The Victorian State Government. Felt nothing. Maybe I got placebo lol.
400mg is A LOT. I suspect placebo too. Its much milder than THC, but to feel nothing at all on that dose would surprise me.

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
400mg is A LOT. I suspect placebo too. Its much milder than THC, but to feel nothing at all on that dose would surprise me.

I ended up noticing potent sluggishness, anhedonia, reduced mood and motivation 2 hours after the dose. I also noticed intense dizziness and light-headedness. I think it was definitely real. 400mg was a lot.

managing

I ended up noticing potent sluggishness, anhedonia, reduced mood and motivation 2 hours after the dose. I also noticed intense dizziness and light-headedness. I think it was definitely real. 400mg was a lot.
Yeah. For reference, cannabis is legal where I live. Most doses--THC or CBD--are in the 5-10mg range. Plenty of people will do 2-4 doses at a time, but still a lot less. CBD in 5-10 mg reduces pain, relaxes muscles, gives a sense or relaxation and calm. Not at all unpleasant. I don't think a dose of 400mg would have a long term neg affect. In fact, in terms of acute response it seems impossible to overdose in practical terms.

Runenight201

http://www.theroc.us/researchlibrar...l- A Chemical Compound of Cannabis sativa.pdf

Here's an interesting review on the anxiolytic and antidepressant effect of CBD in rats. In general it appears to be anxiolytic and perhaps antidepressant. Most substances that generate those effects in general usually affect sexual function (SSRI's, Benzodiazepines). The paper does give off the vibe that CBD is a great substance with no negative effects, so I take these results with caution.

Also the doses used were anywhere from 2.5 to 20 mg/kg in rats. I don't know how that corresponds to humans, but if were to use the same dosage for humans, that is anywhere from 175mg to 1400mg for a 70kg human.

I think it's potentially a useful substance to have for those who face inescapable stress for social situations, performance anxiety, etc.... but probably shouldn't be used as a daily crutch. The paper mentioned near the end how cannabinoids modulate serotonergic neurotransmission, but does not elaborate on those effects. If CBD lowered cranial serotonin, then CBD would most definitely be Peaty.

managing

http://www.theroc.us/researchlibrary/Antidepressant-Like and Anxiolytic-Like Effects of Cannabidiol- A Chemical Compound of Cannabis sativa.pdf

Here's an interesting review on the anxiolytic and antidepressant effect of CBD in rats. In general it appears to be anxiolytic and perhaps antidepressant. Most substances that generate those effects in general usually affect sexual function (SSRI's, Benzodiazepines). The paper does give off the vibe that CBD is a great substance with no negative effects, so I take these results with caution.

Also the doses used were anywhere from 2.5 to 20 mg/kg in rats. I don't know how that corresponds to humans, but if were to use the same dosage for humans, that is anywhere from 175mg to 1400mg for a 70kg human.

I think it's potentially a useful substance to have for those who face inescapable stress for social situations, performance anxiety, etc.... but probably shouldn't be used as a daily crutch. The paper mentioned near the end how cannabinoids modulate serotonergic neurotransmission, but does not elaborate on those effects. If CBD lowered cranial serotonin, then CBD would most definitely be Peaty.
Great stuff. In my experience it has no negative effects on libido. At least not occasional moderate doses.

I'd need to research it more, but "modulation" should mean that it lowers serotonergic neurotransmission when its high, and raises it when its low.

ddjd

I've seen some negative things said about thc and cannabis in general, when it comes to being peaty. Any idea how CBD stacks up in the peat world?
I've experimented with CBD a little and I'm pretty sure all its essentially doing is raising nitric oxide. This explains the relaxation, vasodilation and other benefits people attest to it's "magical" effect.
As we know from peat, long term, high nitric oxide is very destructive

Runenight201

Aside from anecdotal pairing of CBD effects with the effects nitric oxide give, is there perhaps a biochemical explanation or study you can reference for this?

I'm much to ignorant in terms of endogenous cannabinoids and the effect exogeneous cannabinoids would have on them and human physiology in general, but I'd love to see some mechanisms behind such a claim.

A

Adnada

I've experimented with CBD a little and I'm pretty sure all its essentially doing is raising nitric oxide. This explains the relaxation, vasodilation and other benefits people attest to it's "magical" effect.
As we know from peat, long term, high nitric oxide is very destructive

Ray Peat email response regarding CBD:
It can probably be helpful for lowering nitric oxide in some situations, but there’s some evidence that it increases prostaglandins, which could be harmful in a person whose tissues have a lot of PUFA. The acidic form, CBDA, seems likely to be more broadly protective.

managing

Ray Peat email response regarding CBD:
It can probably be helpful for lowering nitric oxide in some situations, but there’s some evidence that it increases prostaglandins, which could be harmful in a person whose tissues have a lot of PUFA. The acidic form, CBDA, seems likely to be more broadly protective.
Thanks for sharing.

TeaRex14

I was thinking about experimenting with CBD but I don't know how it would react with my extensive supplement regime. I can't find a lot of information about what medications/supplements it reacts with. On a daily basis, I'm currently taking Energin (20 drops), niacinamide (1 gram), StressNon (3 drops), taurine (1.5 grams), vitamin C (3 grams), lysine (1.5 grams), Mk-7 (400mcgs), and choline (700mgs). I also take TocoVit, Tyromix, Cypro, and aspirin sporadically whenever needed, generally never on a daily basis. I wanted to experiment with CBD, see if I noticed quicker recovery times after lifting.

Velve921

So, I just tried cbd for the first time. I've been peating for 5 years and have tried everything in the arsenal for stress reduction and relaxation.

Just out of curiosity I tried cbd topically for a shoulder issue as a random experiment.

So far in the first 3 days, it's the most relaxed I've felt from any type of supplement. And I've been resistant to trying cbd because of different threads. But so far, it's insanely relaxing.

Does other people notice this?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals