Is Caffeine From Green Tea Causing Me Insomnia?

DMF

I have TWO medium-sized green teas between 4:00 - 8:00 P.M. evryday, and had no idea there was as much caffeine in them as I thought, and that it's exit from my system is alot longer than previously thought.
Rapid heartbeat, racing thoughts, sleeplessnes - yeh, I mean, I reguarded these symptoms a result of my personal problems.
If I halt ALL tea , will my sleep (life?) get better ?
I thought green tea had compounds that enable relaxation.

jyb

I have sleep problems and I have mixed feelings for caffeine later in the day. But I don't think morning or afternoon caffeine is a problem. If I were you I'd try tea or coffee (as many cups as you want) and stop by 5pm.

Spokey

I've read the L-Theanine in teas can extend the half life of caffeine and the way it's metabolized. So drinking tea near bed time is probably something to be avoided. I think this effect might be more pronounced in green tea than black from experience. I also drink that soupy green macha tea from time to time, that stuff can easily keep me awake all night, whereas I can sometimes drink strong coffee and fall asleep right after.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I wonder if adding cream or milk to the tea might help? I had a bad reaction to green tea with sugar a few months back and later read in the general dietary guidelines that cream or milk should be added. Just a thought.

LucyL

I would second the milk/sugar suggestion. I can't speak specifically to green tea taken late in the evening, but from my own experience if I drink a coke late in the evening, I am far more likely to awaken in the middle of the night and sleep more restlessly than if I pour said coke over Haagen Daz :):

Mittir

Before bed time i drink a cup of milk with 2-3 tbs of sugar or honey and
1 tsp of instant coffee. I do not feel any kind of restlessness, it calms me down
and i get a restful sleep for 7-8 hours. I always added tons of sugar and cream to coffee
before i learned about ray peat. I never experienced the kind restlessness people
talk about from drinking coffee.

OP
D

DMF

L-Theanine extending the half life - interesting>
Yeh, they sometimes add the masha as well.
Thank you all for your replies.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Mittir said:
Before bed time i drink a cup of milk with 2-3 tbs of sugar or honey and
1 tsp of instant coffee.
I do not feel any kind of restlessness, it calms me down
and i get a restful sleep for 7-8 hours. I always added tons of sugar and cream to coffee
before i learned about ray peat. I never experienced the kind restlessness people
talk about from drinking coffee.
What brand instant coffee do you use?

Mittir

@Charlie

I use Nescafe classic instant coffee. The taste seems to vary depending
on the source country. Brazilian Nascafe is my fav.

Jenn

Insomnia from caffeine can be related to a magnesium deficiency. Lack of fuel (milk) can be an issue too. I used to be extremely sensative to caffeine, now a nice, sweet, creamy cup of coffee lets met sleep DEEP. I use Pampas instant coffee stirred directly into my milk with sugar added and a pinch of salt. YUM!

-Jenn

Back
Top Bottom