Is Burning Fat Quickly Really That Bad?

yoshiesque

im not talking like more than 1-2 pounds/week. but i feel like exercising/dieting (small calorie restriction) to get rid of excess fat (especially for people with fatty liver) is fine. i know that there are damages that occur, but surely its not going to be anything drastic, something in which u cant recover from.

people do this all the time, and yes i do get that it messes with their metabolism/thyroid, but done for a few months it should be okay if u focus on getting ur metabolism back up right?

i have about 8kg to lose, which i gained from peating (was not counting calories and was definitely eating excess). and id like to lose most of it from just exercise and small caloric restriction.

ur thoughts are most welcome and appreciated :)

tara

I have couple of questions and thoughts on it, not all from Peat. I'm sure they are not the whole story.

Eating to appetite and not counting calories is normal healthy eating. Normally, people eating to appetite eat on average as much as they burn, and maintain a fairly stable weight, usually with some gradual increase during adulthood, and then a gradual decrease during old age. If weight is increasing, sometimes that's because it is rebounding from under-eating. If this is the case, it often shows as belly fat first, and then eventually redistributes to other areas and other organs.

How do you know you were eating to excess? Were you regularly eating beyond appetite? In that case maybe just stop eating beyond appetite.

What were you doing before you started peating - were you restricting or eating to appetite then? How long have you been eating and gaining for?

How do you know you have excess fat, and that it's not just the amount of fat your body optimally has (at this point)? What standard are you measuring yourself against? Are you wanting to catabolise fat for fashion or health reasons?

There are studies that show a correlation between weight and health, but they mostly don't demonstrate the causal direction. There is also some evidence that restrictive dieting for weight-loss, sometimes in the interests of improving the 'risk factors' for particular diseases, actually increases the likelihood of those diseases developing (sometimes while simultaneously lowering the 'risk factors').
The cost of restriction is often not just reduced metabolism, but also catabolism of organs. It doesn't normally compartmentalise to just reducing the size of the adipose organ, but often also starts burning proteins eg from skin, muscles, thymus, and other organs. Actually, under conditions of energy deficit, the body has to make that trade off between how much it slows metabolism to preserving organs, or sacrifices organs to maintain metabolism.

Restriction (eating less than to appetite) is generally likely to be stressful. Whether a particular small restriction for a short time will be too much of a stress for your system, or potentially a net benefit, probably depends on your state. For some people it could be a big problem, especially for anyone who is recovering from severe undereating, or whose thymus is currently compromised by previous stresses, or whose metabolism is already low, or is struggling in some other areas (I don't know enough to say which). If you've never had a history of repeated or extreme restriction, and your metabolism is currently running at good temps, it might not be a big problem for your system, for a while. Months seems like a long time to be undereating, though.

Did you see 4peatssake's post over on ghostofperdition's thread with suggestions from Peat about food choices to support weight-loss?
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5655&start=30#p67628

Unless you are recovering from serious undereating, some exercise is probably fine, if you don't push further than your body wants. I think I've read that you can tell if you've overdone it by monitoring temps afterward. If they drop, it was too much. Too much and some kinds of exercise may do more harm than good.

I guess you saw paymanz1's thread on concentric exercise?
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=5689