Is Beta-carotene A Problem?

reality

I've read that beta carotene can interfere with thyroid function

all my fav foods contain a significant amount of bc, sweet potatoes, mangoes, spinach...

ANDREW CHIN

According the Dr. Peat, bc slows down digestion, the thyroid, lowers progesterone and adrenal function. He claims you can tell when your skin starts to turn orange.

He does advocate eating a carrot a day for its antibacterial properties. The fiber in carrots helps to get rid of toxic estrogens, which might be reabsorbed into the body without adequate fiber.

I looked at Nutrition Data, and 2oz of raw carrots contain 188% of the DV for beta-carotene. I figure 2 oz is the weight of an average carrot. It doesn't seem like too much bc, IMO.

However, 7 oz of raw sweet potato contains 568% of the DV in beta-carotene. I'm estimating 7 oz to be the weight of an average sweet potato.

Dr. Peat recommends not overdoing it on sweet potatoes, and I can see why. Occasionally, it's likely fine.

Mangoes and spinach are likely fine, too. 100g each of mangoes (15% DV) and spinach (188% DV) don't give you too much bc.

Last edited:

Nazar

From email:
RAY: We don’t convert lycopene [main tomato pigment], but alpha-carotene and beta-cryptoxanthin are converted to vitamin A.

ME: Did you mention alpha-carotene and beta-cryptoxanthin as related to tomatoes, or those are only carotenoids we can convert to vitamin A?

RAY: One other can be converted to vitamin A--gamma-carotene.

ME: And those are the ones that can cause problems as I understand. Are you aware of any other fruits that contain the carotenoids in quantities that can be risky?

RAY: Cooked carrots or the juice, tomatoes, and orange or red sweet potatoes in large quantities are commonly problems in hypothyroid people, or in vegans who lack vitamin B12.

PaRa

papaya is the best convertible bc source for me, others plants foods turn me orange in some hours lmao
so much a poor converter, i try to go heavy on liver (chicken, as i can't have good quality beef one now)
i wish it will correct my thick chicken skin + keratosis pilaris + acne

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals