Is BCAA Toxic?

Anders86

Amino acid supplementation seems to be a double edged sword. It's a tool that's might be ok occasionally, but not chronically.

I don't know what "High BCAA Blood Concentration" would mean. But the dosages that are recomended on this forum is 2-3g, and that is pretty low compared too the usual recommended 10g 1-3 times a day.

Last edited:

Hans

Forum Supporter
People with elevated BCAA in their blood usually have high catabolism and it's not due to supplementation. Eating a good amount of protein should make BCAA supplementation unnecessary. But if I had to choose between BCAA and EAAs, I'd go with EAAs.

OP
A

Astolfo

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10522-020-09860-4

Amino acid supplementation seems to be a double edged sword. It's a tool that's might be ok occasionally, but not chronically.

I don't know what "High BCAA Blood Concentration" would mean. But the dosages that are recomended on this forum is 2-3g, and that is pretty low compared too the usual recommended 10g 1-3 times a day.

I have been taking 4 gram (2:1:1) daily for a week and it cleared my vision. Also i like the calmness it gives to me.

BUT, I have now random nerve pains. Or sometimes pins and needles if i put pressure a bit. They are mild but makes me scared. I had already myoclonus from pssd by the way.

What do you think? Should i stop it?

People with elevated BCAA in their blood usually have high catabolism and it's not due to supplementation. Eating a good amount of protein should make BCAA supplementation unnecessary. But if I had to choose between BCAA and EAAs, I'd go with EAAs.

Im taking it for serotonin depletion.

OP
A

Astolfo

Are you taking tyrosine with it too? I think your supposed to or you lower dopamine too. The only amino I take long term is glycine.

Ofc no, it's expensive here. I thought it's safe to take bcaa in low doses (3-4 grams) without need of tyrosine.

Ofc no, it's expensive here. I thought it's safe to take bcaa in low doses (3-4 grams) without need of tyrosine.
Haidut said that you don't have to supplement tyrosine or phenylalanine with BCAAs as long as you take the BCAAs with a meal with protein( meat, cheese, organ meats, eggs, etc.)

OP
A

Astolfo

Haidut said that you don't have to supplement tyrosine or phenylalanine with BCAAs as long as you take the BCAAs with a meal with protein( meat, cheese, organ meats, eggs, etc.)

I was taking it with one or two eggs at the morning though. Still got this issue.