Is Barbecue / Smoked Meat Estrogenic?

Discussion in 'Diet' started by Philomath, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Philomath

Philomath Member

Just read this in a Peat article and it made me wonder about BBQ foods:

"Soot and smoke contain many chemicals that produce inflammation (Brune, et al., 1978). In the 1930s, soot was known to be both carcinogenic and estrogenic, and analysis of its components led to the production of the early commercial estrogens. " Ray Peat - aspirin, estrogen & cancer

Thoughts?

2. FredSonoma

FredSonoma Member

Certainly possible, tastes delicious though. Don't know too many people, estrogenic or not that don't like it.

3. TubZy

TubZy Member

I remember hearing that slow cooked food like BBQ can be carcinogenic due to the long periods of cooking where the fats would drip off the meat and land in the fire below it causing the fat to quickly oxidize and spark up back into the meat.

4. Westside PUFAs

Westside PUFAs Member

Yes. But once a week is okay. The safest is stewed.

5. damngoodcoffee

damngoodcoffee Member

6. encerent

encerent Member

Damn! WHY would smoked meat taste so damned good then? And so much better than any other way of cooking?

7. Fractality

Fractality Member

IIRC, I read Peat saying that charred meat removes some of the PUFA or something to that effect.

8. lollipop

lollipop Guest

Good to know @Westside PUFAs that your perspective will be adding into the conversation again. Nice to have varied, smart perspectives considering the brilliance of Ray Peat's work. Each perspective adds in a slice and helps to clarify and bring forth more and more.

9. tyler

tyler Member

If I remember correctly, I think @natedawggh has a post on his blog discussing the benefits of charred meat.
    I always interpreted that quote to be more against the act of smoking, or inhaling smoke.

10. XPlus

XPlus Member

A nicely grilled piece of meat has less junk.

This
    [​IMG]

Vs.

This

[​IMG]

11. SolidSteele

SolidSteele Member

Gotta die sometime. May as well be on a path paved with delicious BBQ'ed meat. At some point you have to draw the line between some kind of perfect bubble existence and enjoying the simple pleasures of life.

12. OP
    Philomath

Philomath Member

Solid,
    Yes, even Dr. Peat says there's a benefit to occasionally eating something enjoyable that may not be perfect for your health. That said, prolonged time "outside the bubble" IS what leads to poor health, disease and and early death. I'm just trying to minimize exposure to the hundreds, if not thousands of daily toxins - and knowing what they are is half the battle.

13. PeatThemAll

PeatThemAll Member

The problem with this line of thinking is what happens when you don't die with your boots on. Morbidity, post-stroke quality of life, etc. Not sure I want to play that type of roulette. Senior years will already be enough of a challenge by themselves.

14. Pet Peeve

Pet Peeve Member

Dried Chipotle powder and dried smoked paprika puts some serious smoke flavour to stews. Worth trying.

15. Westside PUFAs

Westside PUFAs Member

Hei.

Thanks.