Is baking soda Corrosive for Teeth?

OP
A

Ascending

I have been using baking soda with clove oil or peppermint oil 3x a day for 15 years. Both my parents had soft teeth--my dad lost all his by age 40, mom lost her by age 52. I am 67 and have pearly whites, havent lost any teeth, never had any gum disease, no cavities for 25yrs
why don't you use it plain?

ww3not4me

I have had friends and family that have had flap grafts to gum tissue. Hope I got that name right. When they are allowed to brush which is a while after the surgery they can only brush with backing soda. So it must not be that bad.

I know you used to be able to buy toothpaste that already had baking soda in it and even some that had baking soda and hydrogen peroxide. I dare say that was 1980-1990's. My wife buys the toothpaste in my house so I have no idea what is on the market today.

In fact when I was a teenager I used to use the orignal Pepsodent powdered toothpaste. Came in a metal tin that was tall, oval and metal with a top that turned to open about like baby powder. You poured a bit into you hand and wet tooth brush and picked it up with the wet toothbrush from your hand. It had pepsin enzyme and sodium lauryl sulfate which I think they invented but don't quote me on that part.

I like to use baking soda with a drop of peppermint oil once a day usually before bed.

OP
A

Ascending

the transparent part of my teeth under the enamel seems to be more prominent, or maybe it's because my teeth got cleaner

PeskyPeater

I cannot find the source, but it stated that baking soda was the only thing that could improve dentin (which is under the enamel)

akgrrrl

good question, I have no idea., somehow it supports the regeneration of it.
Good. Supports my 15yrs experience using it. I was so afraid while watching my mother's soft teeth break off bit by bit, turn yellow absorbing daily coffee drinking, and early loss of each tooth one by one in her 50s. Not my fate thanks to baking soda and therapeutic grade oils.

akgrrrl

Great :)
What oils are you using?
Any experience with potassium iodide in yur paste or rinse?
How interesting you mention the potassium iodide: I have just started researching that from something I saw on another thread, and because I have a bottle but no experience there YET. For oral care, I have strictly stayed with peppermint and cloves. Cloves having the highest ORAC value of nearly anything on the planet plus other helpful compounds. Eugenol is the principal constituent, often used for numbing. But Ciurmant et al demonstrated that a solution of .05 eugenol from cloves kills tuberulosis bacteria, good enuf for me. For a comparison of ORAC values commercial blueberries ORAC value is 4,669 cloves is 10,786,875. The delivery of oxygen and nutrients at the cellular level by both cloves and peppermint is very high.

PeskyPeater

As suggested by the results of this and others studies that showed a high antibacterial activity of 2% IKI in Enterococcus faecalis infected dentin, it seems prudent that a final irrigation protocol of IKI should be performed routinely before the use of calcium hydroxide based root canal dressings. Because of IKI diffuses easily in dentin and Ca(OH)2 prevents regrowth of the bacteria by blocking nutrients or periapical fluids, a synergistic effect of these compounds should be studied in future clinical trials. source PDF - THE ANTIMICROBIAL EFFECT OF IODINE-POTASSIUM IODIDE AFTER CLEANING AND SHAPING PROCEDURES IN MESIAL ROOT CANALS OF MANDIBULAR MOLARS

PeskyPeater

How interesting you mention the potassium iodide: I have just started researching that from something I saw on another thread, and because I have a bottle but no experience there YET. For oral care, I have strictly stayed with peppermint and cloves. Cloves having the highest ORAC value of nearly anything on the planet plus other helpful compounds. Eugenol is the principal constituent, often used for numbing. But Ciurmant et al demonstrated that a solution of .05 eugenol from cloves kills tuberulosis bacteria, good enuf for me. For a comparison of ORAC values commercial blueberries ORAC value is 4,669 cloves is 10,786,875. The delivery of oxygen and nutrients at the cellular level by both cloves and peppermint is very high.
thnx for your reaction, found these studies:
Sci-Hub | Synergistic effect between clove oil and its major compounds and antibiotics against oral bacteria. Archives of Oral Biology, 56(9), 907–916 | 10.1016/j.archoralbio.2011.02.005
Bactericidal Effect of Clove Oil against Multidrug-Resistant Streptococcus suis Isolated from Human Patients and Slaughtered Pigs

Lollipop2

Are you using clove stem oil or clove bud oil @akgrrrl?

Lollipop2

Its my understanding that the bud stems hold more concentration of eugenol and beta-caryophyllene. I am after its hemastatic and antioxident properties.
Very cool. Where do you find bud stems? Do you have a preferred brand?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals