Is baking soda Corrosive for Teeth?

GreekDemiGod

I've used it sometimes to brush my teeth. Still wondering how safe it is. Mixing it with coconut oil is also an option.

I dunno about corrosive, but it is pretty abrasive. Not something i'd use regularly(or at all for myself)

Toothpastes cleaning agents is the most insignificant part of dental health though IME so whatever you use on your brush matters little when in regards to plaque. Brush away from the gumline up and down and you'll remove anything from the pocket surrounding the tooth. Scrubbing side to side doesn't do ***t but cause further recession, and add to the abrasivity of the toothpaste or whatever you are using to apply to the brush

OP
A

Ascending

i
I dunno about corrosive, but it is pretty abrasive. Not something i'd use regularly(or at all for myself)

Toothpastes cleaning agents is the most insignificant part of dental health though IME so whatever you use on your brush matters little when in regards to plaque. Brush away from the gumline up and down and you'll remove anything from the pocket surrounding the tooth. Scrubbing side to side doesn't do ***t but cause further recession, and add to the abrasivity of the toothpaste or whatever you are using to apply to the brush
isn't it being abrasive good? I've noticed my teeth starting to whiten.

GTW

Make your own tooth powder. Baking soda, xylitol, cinnamon, clove powder. Wet your toothbrush. Don't rinse afterward.

tastyfood

It is abrasive on its own. Also, it can disrupt the PH on the skin. I'd use it in combination with other things but not on its own.

i

isn't it being abrasive good? I've noticed my teeth starting to whiten.
I wouldn't say so no. You don't need to scrub plaque off of teeth. It's sweeped off. dipping a toothbrush in salt water would be just as effective since its mostly the physical action of brushing that disturbs plaque, not what's on the brush. Long story short, you don't really need abrasives to brush teeth and using them in the longrun will have unlikely to be reversible consequences

Most things can make your teeth appear whiter after the application if we are talking about trivial staining of the enamel itself, but the effect wont last if that isn't your natural shade of teeth.

GTW

Is baking soda harder, abrasive to tooth enamel? Would like to see evidence.
Saliva is alkaline in response to citric acid.

OP
A

Ascending

It is abrasive on its own. Also, it can disrupt the PH on the skin. I'd use it in combination with other things but not on its own.
i've been using baking soda for over 2 months as a deodorant and haven't noticed any adverse effects on my skin there.

akgrrrl

I have been using baking soda with clove oil or peppermint oil 3x a day for 15 years. Both my parents had soft teeth--my dad lost all his by age 40, mom lost her by age 52. I am 67 and have pearly whites, havent lost any teeth, never had any gum disease, no cavities for 25yrs

YourUniverse

I have been using baking soda with clove oil or peppermint oil 3x a day for 15 years. Both my parents had soft teeth--my dad lost all his by age 40, mom lost her by age 52. I am 67 and have pearly whites, havent lost any teeth, never had any gum disease, no cavities for 25yrs
Impressive, although clearly you also watch your diet. Do think your toothpaste contributions to your pearlies more than your food choices or good hormonal health?

akgrrrl

Impressive, although clearly you also watch your diet. Do think your toothpaste contributions to your pearlies more than your food choices or good hormonal health?

All of these, although thyroid was a struggle due to ineffectual poorly informed medical oversight, good now. Mitochondrial health was good then amazing after bodybuilding in my late 50s, added to completely organic foods the last 20yrs. My home is pristine wool, cotton, silk, metal, glass and leather(all of which I know the source) same my clothing and bed, low emfs, so zero drugs and chemicals except t3 t4 and supps. I even traveled to observe how the oils were distilled since I knew they would be used constantly, where the plants were grown, no pesticides etc