Is Avoiding PUFA Useless If You're Not Below A Certain Threshold?

Gadsie

Kind of a bait title, but I'm somewhat serious. I've always wondered if there is a threshold above which avoiding PUFA has rapidly diminishing returns. It's more of a gut feeling than based on science, although there is the study of Clement et al. that shows these diminishing returns with regards to PUFA and tumorgenesis:

Screen Shot 2020-04-16 at 20.39.14.png

Anecdotally, I've been relatively low PUFA for the past 5 years (about 4g/day, averaging closer to 2g/day lately), and I feel like I've visually aged normally. I think we can all agree that the aging on the outside (wrinkles etc.) corresponds to aging throughout the body; it would be weird if the body exclusively ages in the skin. I've wanted to try a <1g/day PUFA diet for a while now, but I'm not sure my relationship with my girlfriend will survive that.

I always think it might be similar to jumping out of a building: it doesn't matter whether you jump from the 20th or 10th floor, both will kill you. There will only be a difference between the ground floor up until the 3rd floor or so.

lvysaur

Do you know what study that graph is from?

gaze

thats just tumors. There's plenty of other mechanisms an excess can kill you through, of which an increasing amount of will make it worse. A heart attack is one example, stroke, etc.

johnwester130

Kind of a bait title, but I'm somewhat serious. I've always wondered if there is a threshold above which avoiding PUFA has rapidly diminishing returns. It's more of a gut feeling than based on science, although there is the study of Clement et al. that shows these diminishing returns with regards to PUFA and tumorgenesis:

View attachment 17472

Anecdotally, I've been relatively low PUFA for the past 5 years (about 4g/day, averaging closer to 2g/day lately), and I feel like I've visually aged normally. I think we can all agree that the aging on the outside (wrinkles etc.) corresponds to aging throughout the body; it would be weird if the body exclusively ages in the skin. I've wanted to try a <1g/day PUFA diet for a while now, but I'm not sure my relationship with my girlfriend will survive that.

I always think it might be similar to jumping out of a building: it doesn't matter whether you jump from the 20th or 10th floor, both will kill you. There will only be a difference between the ground floor up until the 3rd floor or so.

avoidance isn't enough

you also need the vitamin e
coconut oil

aspirin
niacinamide

to offset the damage

sladerunner69

View attachment 17472

Ray seems to think that 5 grams a day is a good target. I've heard anecdotal reports of people feeling better on 0-1 grams than on 5 grams+. Ray says that if the pufa is metabolized before it is stored as fat, that is preferable and won't cause the same severity of problems as it will when chronically released. Therefore, someone eating a typical diet with high pufa should be relatively okay (compared to the standard population) so long as they keep the weight off.

Amazoniac

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom