Is aspirin really harmful to the gut (bleeding risk)?

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Do you have a study that shows 20-30% absorption ?

I saw a study showing 10-15%
I thought I saw someone on the Solban thread say it's around there, but upon further investigation, it's much lower.

"The bioavailability of cutaneous aspirin was 4%-8% that of oral aspirin. Cutaneous aspirin (750 mg/day for 10 days) significantly lowered serum thromboxane (by 85%) and gastric and duodenal prostaglandins (by 49%-71%); placebo had no effect. Moreover, cutaneous aspirin, but not placebo, resulted in significant gastric mucosal injury. These findings demonstrate that even tiny amounts of aspirin in the blood (2 microM) have inhibitory effects on prostaglandin production in the human stomach and duodenum that result in gastric mucosal damage, even without direct exposure of the stomach to aspirin." (R)

This one found higher absorption: "The percutaneous absorption of salicylic acid is normally 60% with intact skin" (R)

Hgreen56

I've searched ray peat forum many times for aspirin as I was highly curious and tempted to try it.

I've read too many negatives, it has discouraged me:
Stomach pain
Dizziness
ES
also i have read here couple times that different people have to stop taking aspirin because they got elevated liver enzymes from it

Are the risks overblown?
Haidut has posted a few studies showing that it is but it was only a few, so I decided to write an article on it. And seeing that I recommend it a lot (especially to my clients) I wanted to write an article on it to discuss the "side effects".
Great stuff. I currently struggle with a yeast overgrowth and low stomach acid leading to digestive issues. I want to take aspirin (anti-biofilm) but have heard from some people that they get a lot of stomach pain from gram magnitude doses (the LAST thing I need right now is more stomach pain). On the flip side salicylic acid probably won't lead to the same amount of discomfort, but it is also less effective for candida (since it is not a great COX inhibitor). Any thoughts/further reading?

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Great stuff. I currently struggle with a yeast overgrowth and low stomach acid leading to digestive issues. I want to take aspirin (anti-biofilm) but have heard from some people that they get a lot of stomach pain from gram magnitude doses (the LAST thing I need right now is more stomach pain). On the flip side salicylic acid probably won't lead to the same amount of discomfort, but it is also less effective for candida (since it is not a great COX inhibitor). Any thoughts/further reading?
Perhaps try CamphoSal, coconut oil and lots of raw honey.
CamphoSal contains salol, a combination of salicylic acid and phenol, so that might be helpful along with a smaller dose of aspirin.

@Broken man @haidut maybe you guys have some input on this?

Broken man

@Broken man @haidut maybe you guys have some input on this?
I tried aspirin and it was too much for me so I bought salicylic aci. Its milder on the intestines but still felt intestinal discomfort other days, the trick is to start with lower dose like 50 mg and build it over time, gut lining strengthens over time with aspirin and is much stronger against ethanol for example.

MidBicep

I have covid and since yesterday I have a fever. It's getting better though. Yesterday I took a gram of paracetamol, then searched the forum and found out that it's toxic and switched to aspirin. I took 3 pills of 500mg. This morning I just got 1 pill of 500mg, but I'm noticing I'm bleeding a bit on my thumb, there's dried blood in my nose and the tip of my tongue is also red and I thought it was bleeding but it's not.
My only source of K2 is the 50g of bbef liver I eat every day and I thought that since my diet is close to 130g of fat just by dairy I would have some more of it and I wouldn't run any risks of bleeding, but apparently I was wrong.
Obviously I'm going to stop the aspirin now, but will everything heal back to normal without gelatin in my diet or a K2 supplement?

Jam

Obviously I'm going to stop the aspirin now, but will everything heal back to normal without gelatin in my diet or a K2 supplement?
Yes, but I'd get some K2-MK4 and continue taking aspirin, 1/2 a pill per day should be enough for your purposes, although a bit more wouldn't hurt once you have the MK4.

Last edited:

MidBicep

Yes, but I'd get some K2-MK4 and continue taking aspirin, 1/2 a pill per day should be enough for your purposes, although a bit more wouldn't hurt once you have the MK4.
I had some K2-MK4 but it expired in March and I'm almost well now so I don't feel like spending 20 euros on a supplement that hasn't made much difference for me kn the past.

Jam

I had some K2-MK4 but it expired in March and I'm almost well now so I don't feel like spending 20 euros on a supplement that hasn't made much difference for me kn the past.
Well I'm not going to insist too much, but I would continue taking 1/2 an aspirin until well after you feel you're over whatever you have. You took too high of a dose (1.5g) initially, that can be problematic without MK4. But 1/4 - 1/2 a 500mg pill shouldn't pose problems unless you have underlying clotting disorders.

MidBicep

Well I'm not going to insist too much, but I would continue taking 1/2 an aspirin until well after you feel you're over whatever you have. You took too high of a dose (1.5g) initially, that can be problematic without MK4. But 1/4 - 1/2 a 500mg pill shouldn't pose problems unless you have underlying clotting disorders.
I don't remember the last time I saw dried blood in my nose so I think I'm healthy in that regard. If my fever rises again then I might take a quarter pill and see. You're probably right about the big starting dose, it's that I read the instructions and it said it's okay to take up to 4g a day for adult males so I thought I'd be fine.

L_C

Are the risks overblown?
Haidut has posted a few studies showing that it is but it was only a few, so I decided to write an article on it. And seeing that I recommend it a lot (especially to my clients) I wanted to write an article on it to discuss the "side effects".
What brand of aspirin are you taking? I do take Health Natura one which at the beginning worked great but now even in small doses hurts my stomach despite eating gelatin and K2. Thank you.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
What brand of aspirin are you taking? I do take Health Natura one which at the beginning worked great but now even in small doses hurts my stomach despite eating gelatin and K2. Thank you.
I use bayers aspirin and also sodium salicylate powder.

Grapelander

Seems like vitamin K helps with stomach pain - not sure why.

Magnesium glycinate helps also.

Glycine is used medicinally for aspirin overdose - so if I have to take a large dose of aspirin I will take collagen/gelatin.
Aspirin is a prodrug, which is transformed into salicylate in the stomach, in the intestinal mucosa, in the blood and mainly in the liver. Salicylate is the active metabolite responsible for most anti-inflammatory and analgesic effects.
Salicylate, in turn, is mainly metabolized by the liver. This metabolism occurs primarily by hepatic conjugation with glycine or glucuronic acid, each involving different metabolic pathways. The predominant pathway is the conjugation with glycine, which is saturable. With low doses of aspirin approximately 90% of salicylate is metabolized through this pathway.

L_C

Hey LC, did you ever try the sodium salicylate? If so, how did it treat you?
I haven't tried it yet. I only use aspirin from health natura. So far so good, no issues. I do take K2 and gelatin.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals