Is Anybody Here Fructose Free?

Jayfish

I highly doubt it. I'm fruit and honey free but I drink a lot of juice and sugar.

Kasper

I have been pretty fructose free for a long time. Just getting carbs mainly from potatoes and white rice.
I felt I reacted better on it than on fructose stuff. Especially if it comes to my teeth.

So now and then I try to see how I react on high fructose stuff. Most of the time I conclude that I felt better without it. Not sure if it is the fructose by itself though. Maybe it is the higher liquid, or other stuff in fruits I react too.

tara

I had a period of years of mostly low sugar for quite a while years ago. No added refined sucrose, no honey, little or no lactose, and only small amounts of fruit. I also got some fructose from sweet vegetables like sweet potatoes, onions, sweetcorn. For the later part of that time I mostly avoided wheat/gluten, but did eat other grains/seeds (rice, qinoa, buckwheat, corn, millet). It was tough to give up sugar. I think teh large amount of whole grains, and other components of the diet, were hard on my gut at times. Aside from that, the main problem for me was not that the starchy foods were obviously bad for me, but that the logistics were too hard, so I often went hungry for want of easy enough options. I do think I hold for longer without hunger now when I eat both starchy foods and sweet ones.

XPlus

I've experimented with this a little just to see how i feel.
Erections are a lot weaker.
Besides being one of the forms of sugar involved in ordinary energy production, interchangeable with glucose, fructose has some special functions, that aren't as well performed by glucose. It is the main sugar involved in reproduction, in the seminal fluid and intrauterine fluid, and in the developing fetus.

OP
damngoodcoffee
I have been pretty fructose free for a long time. Just getting carbs mainly from potatoes and white rice.
I felt I reacted better on it than on fructose stuff. Especially if it comes to my teeth.

So now and then I try to see how I react on high fructose stuff. Most of the time I conclude that I felt better without it. Not sure if it is the fructose by itself though. Maybe it is the higher liquid, or other stuff in fruits I react too.
Do you exercise? If so, have you noticed any negatives/benefits in performance? Maybe feeling more hypoglycemic without fructose? Thanks! :)

FD8

I am fructose free for 2 reasons: acne and digestion. I believe the low FODMAP diet is a no fructose diet for people with IBS. Cutting fructose cleared my skin

OP
damngoodcoffee
@FD8 @Kasper How's your mood without fructose? I feel stressed without it.
Hard to get enough calories without juice, soda etc.
I feel it's impossible to feel fully alive without fructose.

jyb

I'm also fructose free, been so for a couple years. Before that my diet was pretty high in fructose from OJ and sugar/honey and no starch.

OP
damngoodcoffee
I'm also fructose free, been so for a couple years. Before that my diet was pretty high in fructose from OJ and sugar/honey and no starch.
What led you to this? Was it hard to eat enough calories from starch when you switched?

zooma

I didn't realise you had completely cut OJ/fruit. Has you diet been entirely dairy/beef over the last few years?

jyb

What led you to this? Was it hard to eat enough calories from starch when you switched?

It didn't seem to do me any good. That's my n=1 experiment. On the theoretical side, after reading the pro/con of fructose for years (what Ray says, what others agree or disagree with), I still have a lot to think about when it comes to fructose but I am far more cautious than before.

PS. "How's your mood without fructose? I feel stressed without it." that reminds me how I was before, stressed as soon as I didn't get a shot...

Last edited:

FD8

@FD8 @Kasper How's your mood without fructose? I feel stressed without it.
Hard to get enough calories without juice, soda etc.
I feel it's impossible to feel fully alive without fructose.

My mood is great, I still eat a lot of fruit, oranges in particular.
Regarding the calories, yes, it's hard... I eat white rice and potatoes everyday though and I'm doing just fine.

Why would you want to cut fructose?

OP
damngoodcoffee
My mood is great, I still eat a lot of fruit, oranges in particular.
Regarding the calories, yes, it's hard... I eat white rice and potatoes everyday though and I'm doing just fine.

Why would you want to cut fructose?
You just said you're fructose free. :confused2

I don't want to cut it. I just like to experiment. :cool

I'm not fructose free at the moment, i'm just interested in other peoples experiences.

Jayfish

No fructose means no sugar, honey, maple syrup, etc. No fruit or fruit juice of any kind. Even sugary vegetables and squash have small amounts of fructose.

FD8

You just said you're fructose free. :confused2

I don't want to cut it. I just like to experiment. :cool

I'm not fructose free at the moment, i'm just interested in other peoples experiences.

I was just wondering why you, personally, were thinking about cutting fructose.
I think it would be a nice experiment.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals