Is Antibiotic ATP Blockade Selective?

Vinny

Now I really know what I want for Christmas:

"Jingle-jingle Azithro-
Jingle-Thromicyn,
Santa Claus, Santa Claus,
Bring it quickly in!"

Sure. Basically in order to study mitochondrial respiration and the Electron Transport Chain, scientists used antibiotics which were known to decrease the concentration of atp. They found that different antibiotics stopped the flow of electrons of the ETC at different points. The two “quintessential” ones were rotenone and Antimycin A, but I think there were many others.

Anti-retrovirals can also cause mitochondrial damage, since the genetic mechanism of the mito is much more primitive than the human.
Endotoxins also block the ETC, right? Nitric oxide is probably one way that they do this. Surely, messing with the ETC for a week or two and then having a much lower endotoin load will provide a net positive?

I don't mind the mitochondrial blockade if any, as I'm again feeling superhuman after starting yet another round of Azithromycin yesterday.
Inflammation is gone, water and nitrogen retentions are up, face looks a lot less tired, mood is great, and I woke up with a hard on that could cut through steel.
wow

milkboi

I’ve seen acne patients that were given minocycline low-dose (50mg) for a long time (1-3 years) in their late teens. They showed and some still show distinct signs of wrecked cellular respiration. They even reported to be that they feel their body / they feel like they cannot breathe.
That prompted me into looking into possible
reasons.
Tetracyclines destroy your mitos, plain and simple, the cited paper and many more describe the mechanisms.

Wow, I don‘t wanna risk that. Do you think 50mg for 21 days would still be safe?

boris

Widely Used Antibiotics Affect Mitochondria

Seems like tetracyclines inhibit mitochondrial respiration and energy production, an effect than doesn't happen with the penicillin class.
I wonder why this is the antibiotic class that Ray Peat recommends then, out of all the possibilities.

He says there is a certain threshold in low doses, where the benefits outweigh the damage, I think he counts Penicillin in that too.