Is Agmatine Peaty?

AretnaP

Seems like it would be.

Lowers nitric oxide and antagonizes the NMDA "receptor" (anti-excitotoxicity). Seems like Peat (and people on this forum) would talk about it more.

I take it sometimes and if it has some bad effects I would like to know about them.

sele

Seems like it would be.

Lowers nitric oxide and antagonizes the NMDA "receptor" (anti-excitotoxicity). Seems like Peat (and people on this forum) would talk about it more.

I take it sometimes and if it has some bad effects I would like to know about them.
RP said it probably is okay. He also said the safest things to lower NO are niacinamide, aspirin and progesterone.

Seems it can boost the breakdown of polyamines

ddjd

Seems like it would be.

Agmatine decreases overall nitric oxide production but may positively affect eNOS which is fine. You care more about the reduction of iNOS and nNOS and overall excess NO

Travis

Nitric oxide and polyamines have one thing in common: arginine. This amino acid can make both: Arginine can release nitric oxide to become ornithine and also, to add insult to injury, then become a polyamine through the enzyme ornithine decarboxylase. While the simple four‐carbon diamine that results isn't particularly harmful, it can find the others and polymerize into a larger one called spermidine. This long‐chained carbon and nitrogen molecule puts the word poly in polyamines (and also puts cancer in your prostate.) This molecule binds with DNA directly and lowers its replication velocity during routine PCR. The enzyme which makes polyamines, ornithine decarboxylase, is upregulated in ways which mirror the cell cycle. Polyamines also have a peculiar affinity for microtubules, structures which must be disassembled before mitosis. We do need some polyamines for growth, but too much will undeniably cause proliferation. Methylglyoxal totally disables arginine by turning it into a cyclic imidazolone, totally incapable of forming neither nitric oxide nor polyamines. These methylglyoxal–arginine adducts could be part of the reason why it inhibits cancer, but are also responsible for the refractive changes seen in diabetics as corneal collagen becomes methylglyoxal‐modified and crosslinked—bending light more powerfully.

methylglyoxal.png click to embiggen

Last edited:

DaveFoster

Progesterone actually raises eNOS...
Aspirin and other protective hormones can also promote eNOS. The reduction in inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) attenuates many of the problems we associate with injury, inflammation and so on.

ddjd

DaveFoster

That's in the rat's colon in a human-equivalent dosage of 100 mg after being given azoxymethane, which suggests that aspirin protects against colon cancer (as confirmed by epidemiological studies.)

Here's another study that shows that aspirin increases eNOS expression in the cells lining blood vessels:

"...Our findings demonstrate that therapeutically relevant concentrations of aspirin elicit NO release from vascular endothelium."

Reference: Aspirin induces nitric oxide release from vascular endothelium: a novel mechanism of action. - PubMed - NCBI

daphne134

Seems like the answer is no, since
Nitric oxide and polyamines have one thing in common: arginine. This amino acid can make both: Arginine can release nitric oxide to become ornithine and also, to add insult to injury, then become a polyamine through the enzyme ornithine decarboxylase. While the simple four‐carbon diamine that results isn't particularly harmful, it can find the others and polymerize into a larger one called spermidine. This long‐chained carbon and nitrogen molecule puts the word poly in polyamines (and also puts cancer in your prostate.) This molecule binds with DNA directly and lowers its replication velocity during routine PCR. The enzyme which makes polyamines, ornithine decarboxylase, is upregulated in ways which mirror the cell cycle. Polyamines also have a peculiar affinity for microtubules, structures which must be disassembled before mitosis. We do need some polyamines for growth, but too much will undeniably cause proliferation. Methylglyoxal totally disables arginine by turning it into a cyclic imidazolone, totally incapable of forming neither nitric oxide nor polyamines. These methylglyoxal–arginine adducts could be part of the reason why it inhibits cancer, but are also responsible for the refractive changes seen in diabetics as corneal collagen becomes methylglyoxal‐modified and crosslinked—bending light more powerfully.

View attachment 7851 click to embiggen
So – no. Thank you Travis, RIP.
I had started taking it, was on day 3.
After reading this I verified that Peat doesn't like polyamines and that agmatine generates them. @haidut has also alluded to it not being safe, on a different thread.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals